Confirmed with Link: [EDM/PHX] Tobias Rieder for Kale Kessy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I thought some one reported he wasn't going to sign with us so we would have lost his rights anyways?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I thought some one reported he wasn't going to sign with us so we would have lost his rights anyways?

Someone on here started that ********. There's absolutely no evidence that I've seen outside of HF that states anything close to this.

Just some upset fans trying to rationalize trading Rieder for a ECHL plug.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Someone on here started that ********. There's absolutely no evidence that I've seen outside of HF that states anything close to this.

He was an ECHL plug last year no doubt, but now he is a quality AHL 4th liner/fringe 3rd liner. Still quite a way off from contributing in the NHL so by all rights there is no reason to stop condemning the trade, I know I thought it was all kinds of stupid when it went down.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I am at least a good part responsible for this. I watched virtually all of Rieder's games and reported here often on him. Here is what I posted on the day following the trade.

This might surprise some here but I actually understand this trade. I have not really seen Kessy but he was a guy I was actually hoping the Oilers might take even as early as the third round. This team could use some bat crazy in a big way.

That said it was a bit of a shock. I was ready to come here and tell you that Rieder had another terrific game. Two really nice assists and a beautiful short handed goal against arch rival Guelph. Then I watched the tape version of the intro to the game and the Ranger pbp guy was talking about the Oilers having traded Rieders rights. He said that Rieder's agent was very happy about this and that they thought it would be better for Rieder long term. To me this is probably a sign that the Oilers and Rieder were not on the same page. Perhaps he may even have been thinking seriously about going back into the draft. This may well be the reason for the timing of the trade.

I probably have a higher opinion of Rieder than most here. I have really enjoyed watching this kid over the last three years. He's got a lot going for him and he seems to rise to the occasion when challenged. He's versatile, but I think he will be a winger in the NHL so that means he was in tough in the Oilers organization. THis is especially true now that Paajarvi looks to be turning his game around. You have Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Paajarvi looking like locks, wth a guy like Zharkov also in the mix.

I think Rieder could play on the third line in the NHL. But he might not fit the mix on this team.

The chances of a guy like Kessy being an impact player may not be great, but the more of this type of player you have the better your chances are of getting lucky and ending up with a Kyle Clifford. Watching Moroz and Ewanyk last night, I must say that I like what I see going forward. If Kessy has added some offense to his game, then I can live with this deal.

(Definitely blew the call on Paajarvi. :D)

There had been discussion here locally about how Rieder would fit in on the Oilers. But I think in retrospect what I was hearing the day the trade went down was more the local broadcasters projecting their own ideas than any concrete evidence of a rift with the team. I actually regret posting this and I've tried to address this on multiple occasions but once something is out their it has a life of its own.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think Rieder not signing with the Oilers was just rumours. I still would love to see someone prove me wrong cause as of now, we lost that trade and this was no small fish. Rieder was a hell of a prospect and would look good with Draisaitl.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
It doesn't matter if Rieder doesn't fit onto the current roster. Assets are assets. I am pretty sure his trade value is a lot higher than Kessy's. Terrible trade from day 1 imo.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It doesn't matter if Rieder doesn't fit onto the current roster. Assets are assets. I am pretty sure his trade value is a lot higher than Kessy's. Terrible trade from day 1 imo.

I doubt either player has much trade value.

It's not like Rieder is ripping up the AHL. He did have 28 goals but only 48 points in 64 games. Linden Vey got a late second and he had better numbers and was closer to being NHL ready. Reider might get a late 3rd or 4th round pick at this point. You could then use this to draft a player just like Kale Kessy.

So really the issue with prospects at that level is all about how they fit into the plans for your big team.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I doubt either player has much trade value.

It's not like Rieder is ripping up the AHL. He did have 28 goals but only 48 points in 64 games. Linden Vey got a late second and he had better numbers and was closer to being NHL ready. Reider might get a late 3rd or 4th round pick at this point. You could then use this to draft a player just like Kale Kessy.

So really the issue with prospects at that level is all about how they fit into the plans for your big team.

I just hate the idea of trading a guy with actual NHL potential for a face puncher. It is certainly the least of our problems right now though, I'll admit.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I just hate the idea of trading a guy with actual NHL potential for a face puncher. It is certainly the least of our problems right now though, I'll admit.

That's not what they were looking for in Kessy. The guy has skill and while it was certainly a long shot they were clearly hoping for him to turn into much more than a fighter.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I vote for deleting this thread permanently. It's over. Let's move on.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Him, being German, would like nice alongside LD, who is also German.

Well that's nice and all and we should've known 2 years ago that we were drafting Draisaitl and should've told Tobias to wait until we draft his future countryman.

I for one still support this trade, this team cannot find useful bottom 6 players without overpaying the hell out of them so when Kessy makes the big club it will be a win for us while it'd be a loss for most teams.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Well that's nice and all and we should've known 2 years ago that we were drafting Draisaitl and should've told Tobias to wait until we draft his future countryman.

I for one still support this trade, this team cannot find useful bottom 6 players without overpaying the hell out of them so when Kessy makes the big club it will be a win for us while it'd be a loss for most teams.

When? Isn't it more likely If?

Is Kale Kessy likely to ever play an NHL game?

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Reider's played 2 NHL games so far. It's a little early to be talking about him like he's the be all, end all.

Let's evaluate the trade after at least one of them's played at least 100 NHL games.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
You can sign good bottom six guys for cheap every year - Winnik, Santorelli, Comeau, Downie, Jokinen, Roy, Stempniak. Trading a guy who scored 40+ in his draft+1 year for a guy who might be a 4th liner if everything goes right is just dumb.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
wow a bump.. mustev scored a hatty or something.. Oil fans need to give this a rest.
so we traded away yet another small forward for a lesser skilled grinder with a mean streak.
The guy has 5pts in 9AHL games this season.. Kessy has 4 in 7GP.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Lol at talk of squashing one of the few threads about prospects on a site called Hockey's Future.

There are a lot of off topic threads here going strong, why shut down the one thread that is actually 100% on the topic of prospects?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Lol at talk of squashing one of the few threads about prospects on a site called Hockey's Future.

There are a lot of off topic threads here going strong, why shut down the one thread that is actually 100% on the topic of prospects?

What are you talking about? A third Edmonton Eskimos thread is WAY more on topic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00