Confirmed with Link: [EDM/PHX] Tobias Rieder for Kale Kessy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
When? Isn't it more likely If?

Is Kale Kessy likely to ever play an NHL game?

We need more of what he brings and with his massive improvement in his skating I think that he will continue to improve. He is a prototypical 4th liner, he makes smart plays, plays physical and can chip in a goal here and there. I would bet on him playing in the NHL over him not playing in the NHL.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
In reality, neither of these guys will probably amount to anything. It makes the obsession over this trade quite hilarious.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Good for Rieder. First goal in his first game. He's worked hard to get there and he's still got a long road ahead.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I like that moderators have changes the policy. Dead threads should be resurrected. We can get bit time perspective.

Actually most of the threads that are alive are grinding same old stuff like dead threads

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
What is past is past. Oilers made another stupid trade or move and it won't be the last time.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
What is past is past. Oilers made another stupid trade or move and it won't be the last time.

But MacT has done some awesome deals too. Like trading Hemsky who has 1 point in this season.
Sometimes you win sometimes lose but the battle of SC continues

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
But MacT has done some awesome deals too. Like trading Hemsky who has 1 point in this season.
Sometimes you win sometimes lose but the battle of SC continues

Wow

Talk about lowering the standard of what qualifies as an awesome deal :laugh:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Let's not forget this trade was Tambellini's parting gift, that guy was terrible.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
That's like me saying how awesome it is that we traded another Omark for Lucic 2.0... Kessy is much more likely to be an NHLer than Rieder, but Rieder has higher upside if he does pan out

Based on what? You would think a teams leading scorer 2 years running and a wjc player would show to be tracking better. Go make a list of failed grit players and failed skilled players Who did not make the big show .
I remember this argument well.:naughty:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I watched about 2/3's of OKC's game against TO and IMO he has the skating and he knows how to play an effective bottom 6 game. While he is not the greatest fighter he is game and he is not against initiating physical play which is something that we lack as an organization. He wasn't overly physical in that game but IMO there is a player there so while Rieder may score more career points I think that Kessy will be a good fit for our team so those completely writing Kessy off are premature IMO.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I watched about 2/3's of OKC's game against TO and IMO he has the skating and he knows how to play an effective bottom 6 game. While he is not the greatest fighter he is game and he is not against initiating physical play which is something that we lack as an organization. He wasn't overly physical in that game but IMO there is a player there so while Rieder may score more career points I think that Kessy will be a good fit for our team so those completely writing Kessy off are premature IMO.

Thanks BBO, I hope so.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks BBO, I hope so.

I'm not sure if he has a career above the 4th line, but I like his chances of carving out a bottom 6 career better than I do Pitlick for example. I'd say that he's a safe bet to be a 4th liner with a shot at 3rd line if he keeps improving his game and individual skills.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

If Rieder turns into an NHL/AHL twiner a la Schremp and Kessy becomes a regular 4th liner in the NHL, the Oilers win this trade easily. If Rieder ends up a top 6 forward (a slim chance), then it's a bad trade. If neither amounts to much (a strong possibility), then there is nothing to talk about.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Not sure if this was known before, but it was actually Rieder and his agent who initiated the trade discussions to get Rieder to Arizona.

Rieder's agent was actually the one to ignite trade talk after looking at the skilled forwards ahead of Rieder on the Oilers' depth chart.

"They had so many young, skilled forwards, kind of like the same type of player like me, and they were really deep," Rieder said. "So we thought I'd get a better chance at another team, and I think it worked out well."
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor.../dubnyks-play-rewarded-nd-start-row/19153235/

Adds an interesting wrinkle to this deal. FTR, I'm still in favour of it, as Kessy could bring something to the Oilers they don't have; namely a power forward with some offence who is genuinely unhinged and frightening to play against, a less-skilled Scott Hartnell or a bigger Steve Downie.

Rieder has looked good for Arizona, but there's a perfectly likely chance he would either not be in the NHL were he still in the Oilers system, or not as well-developed.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yep. What has been forgotten is that if the oilers do not trade him. He goes back in the draft. I believe there were other factors, but the end game was he was never going to be an oiler

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Not sure if this was known before, but it was actually Rieder and his agent who initiated the trade discussions to get Rieder to Arizona.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor.../dubnyks-play-rewarded-nd-start-row/19153235/

Adds an interesting wrinkle to this deal. FTR, I'm still in favour of it, as Kessy could bring something to the Oilers they don't have; namely a power forward with some offence who is genuinely unhinged and frightening to play against, a less-skilled Scott Hartnell or a bigger Steve Downie.

Rieder has looked good for Arizona, but there's a perfectly likely chance he would either not be in the NHL were he still in the Oilers system, or not as well-developed.

Finally, some concreted proof of his push for a trade. Thank you.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Rieder's agent was actually the one to ignite trade talk after looking at the skilled forwards ahead of Rieder on the Oilers' depth chart.

"They had so many young, skilled forwards, kind of like the same type of player like me, and they were really deep," Rieder said. "So we thought I'd get a better chance at another team, and I think it worked out well."

Shouldn't the Oilers be the judge of that? Says a little something about a guy's character when he feels that way so early on.

Still, even if he had no place here, Rieder was outstanding in junior and it's a shame we only got a plug like Kessy for him.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Shouldn't the Oilers be the judge of that? Says a little something about a guy's character when he feels that way so early on.

Still, even if he had no place here, Rieder was outstanding in junior and it's a shame we only got a plug like Kessy for him.

Can't blame him. Professional athletes have only so much time and team's depth chart could be a difference between getting a shot at the NHL and getting buried in the minors for years with a chance to get injured and never get a fair shot again. Good for Rieder if he can carve out a permanent spot on the Coyotes now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Fourier's hearing on the game was enough for me. Wasn't he/she a mod at the time?

Yup, that was good enough for me. Now we can all hopefully get behind the guy that we got in return and hope that Kale can become a solid bottom 6 guy for us. IMO he will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad