Confirmed with Link: [EDM/PHX] Tobias Rieder for Kale Kessy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Tobias Rieder/Kale Kessey

I come in peace. Not a flaming thread, there will be some tire-pumping but it's pure hockey talk I promise, I just genuinely want to know. I was wondering what you guys thought about Kessey. A lot of us Yotes fans liked him, as he looked like he could turn out to be a poor man's Lucic. He's a big, tough player that rarely takes any **** (at least he used to be, I don't follow him much now.)

Anyhow, when we traded him to you guys for Rieder, some of us were pretty bummed. Rieder looked like just another one of those 4th round guys who put up good numbers in the juniors, who would maybe put up decent numbers in the AHL but wouldn't do much in the NHL, let alone make it at all. On the other hand, we saw Kessey as one of those rare breeds who would never really put up big offensive numbers, but who could be an eventual 25 to 30 point enforcer who would never be afraid to stand up for his teammates.

All in all, we didn't really understand the trade when it happened, and we kind of just wrote it off as a minor league deal between 2 bottom teams.

However, I must say that NOW, most of us Coyote fans love the trade. Rieder came out of nowhere last season and lit it up on the farm team, so we were intrigued by the idea of him, but still weren't sold yet. Then, he comes into this season and has a helluva training camp, great preseason, and was one of the last cuts for the final roster (Rieder, Domi, Samuelsson, etc all had better training camps than most of our vets, such as Kyle freakin Chipchura and David freakin Moss...Tippett. :banghead: )

After about a month of mediocrity by our vets, Rieder finally go the chance to play in the big leagues and I must say, he's looked awesome. Does pretty much everything right. Great strong stride, awesome defensively, an illusive skater, and a shot first mentality. He looks likes he's been playing in the NHL for years, and hopefully keeps up his pace and becomes a very reliable scoring winger. His numbers are not necessarily mind blowing, but so far he's got 2 goals and 3 assists in 13 games with somewhat limited minutes (increasing now, obviously) and has played a very trustworthy, solid game away from the puck. Certainly not bad at all for a rookie with only 13 games experience.

Now i'm not a ******** fan, I absolutely love to see trades that work out for both teams. As I said before, this trade was kind of a headscratcher and out of nowhere, and I have not followed Kale much at all since we traded him. I see why the Oilers could trade Rieder. You guys have an abundance of young rookie wingers that are very capable of making an impact night in and night out, so you guys may have anticipated that you could spare a player like Rieder.

So I guess my questions are:

1. What were your guys's reaction to the trade when it first happened?

2. How is Kessey progressing? Do you guys anticipate he can eventually make the big squad and have an impact?

3. Looking back now, do you guys still make this trade?

Thanks for reading, and for all/any answers that follow. If it makes you guys feel any better, us Coyotes feel for you guys and we cheer for you guys to win...so we can have a better shot at McDavid, of course :naughty: :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, wish you guys all the best and McDavid should take your team to a whole new level. Hold on to Eakins for the rest of the tank job and grab McEichel and I think we'll see the Oilers in the playoffs in the very near future.
Sidenote: If you guys do draft McDavid, you could probably spare one of your big 3 to strengthen your team in areas of need, and most of us Coyotes fans have had talks and if it came down to it, we would trade OEL to you guys for Hall. Would be a hard pill to swallow for both sides but with as much firepower you'd have up front with RNH, McDavid, Yak, Eberle, Drasaitl etc, adding OEL to the back end and signing a few shutdown D's in the off season would really change the dynamic of your team! Take care guys, sorry so long :laugh:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

2. How is Kessey progressing? Do you guys anticipate he can eventually make the big squad and have an impact?

1. I thought it was a horrible brain dead move, by a horrible brain dead GM grasping at straws to add team toughness at some indeterminate date in the future, when realistically you could get the exact same fully developed player at the same cost with none of the risk.

2. He's improved immensely from last year to this year, he went from a guy I'd barely want playing the ECHL team to a guy who looks like he belongs on an AHL 3rd/4th line. His skating is worlds better and he is arguably the most improved Oiler from last year to this year, but part of the reason is because of how horrible he was previously. There is no Lucic here bubbling underneath, if we get a Clifford out of him we should be counting our lucky stars.

3. I wouldn't even dream of doing that trade again, but I am glad you are enjoying Rieder and seem to appreciate him, he was a pleasure to watch on the Kitchener Rangers and I only hope for the best for the kid.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Rabbit you old trickster you ...

Since we are pretending to be so pally, how are you liking Gagner? And Dubnyk?

Jul 19, 2012

Dubnyk is undefeated and its a mystery why Tippet is playing Smith right now.
Gagner sucks whenever wherever.

I go to a lot of Coyote games and watch them almost as much as the Oilers.

Reider looks good but the last thing the Oilers needed was a small skilled winger on this team. Anyone crying about this trade today has 20-20 hindsight.

Kessey will never make the team but who cares, neither would Reider.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Coyote fan, ex Oiler fan ( I lived in Edmonton for 20yrs.). It's hard to cheer for the Oilers when they are run by a bunch of --------. TGO set the Coyotes back ten years, and I guess Lowe is doing the same. As far as Gagne is concerned, he is starting to find his way, a very dependable two way player. Never was a fan of Dubnyk, but I think our goalie coach, Burke, has do wonders for him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Reider looks good but the last thing the Oilers needed was a small skilled winger on this team. Anyone crying about this trade today has 20-20 hindsight.

Maybe Reider could have made your team this year so you would not have had to sign Pouliot to that dumb contract, and if he made your team it could have give the Oilers more option for other trades.

Jul 19, 2012
Maybe Reider could have made your team this year so you would not have had to sign Pouliot to that dumb contract, and if he made your team it could have give the Oilers more option for other trades.

I doubt he would have made the team. MacT is trying to get bigger and Reider would be going against the train of thought this summer when he signed Pouliot. Pouliiot has the same problem as Yakapov and Perron. No centre to play with.

Some fans wont see it that way but without a good centre most wingers dont do as well.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
Coyote fan, ex Oiler fan ( I lived in Edmonton for 20yrs.). It's hard to cheer for the Oilers when they are run by a bunch of --------. TGO set the Coyotes back ten years, and I guess Lowe is doing the same. As far as Gagne is concerned, he is starting to find his way, a very dependable two way player. Never was a fan of Dubnyk, but I think our goalie coach, Burke, has do wonders for him.

There is no way we are talking about the same Gagner.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Reider wouldve been another Nilsson, Omark, Rajala, Arcobello here .. Kessy might not amount to much in NHL but he seems to be doing a decent enough job in the AHL.. A few goals, a few assists and 50Pims in 13 GP.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything

1. I've merged your thread with the original trade thread, so you can see for yourself. But to save you the hassle, it was mostly negative. It was later discovered that Rieder's camp had asked for the trade because of concerns of his position on the depth chart, but most assumed at the time that we were making the move because of the never-ending hunt for size in the roster.

2. I haven't followed much, but I remember reading a report from OKC's coach that Kessey has been quite good on the farm this year. He seems to be progressing, but I'd say he's still a longshot for NHL employment in his future.

3. Maybe not for Kessey, but it was clear the only options were either move Rieder or have him go back into the draft and get nothing in return.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
1. I thought it was a horrible brain dead move, by a horrible brain dead GM grasping at straws to add team toughness at some indeterminate date in the future, when realistically you could get the exact same fully developed player at the same cost with none of the risk.

2. He's improved immensely from last year to this year, he went from a guy I'd barely want playing the ECHL team to a guy who looks like he belongs on an AHL 3rd/4th line. His skating is worlds better and he is arguably the most improved Oiler from last year to this year, but part of the reason is because of how horrible he was previously. There is no Lucic here bubbling underneath, if we get a Clifford out of him we should be counting our lucky stars.

3. I wouldn't even dream of doing that trade again, but I am glad you are enjoying Rieder and seem to appreciate him, he was a pleasure to watch on the Kitchener Rangers and I only hope for the best for the kid.

Yup this is exactly how I feel!!!

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
people would have had less of a problem with Rieder being traded if a different player had come back in return. it's getting Kessy that has really bugged people. the Oilers finally get a break and draft a kid in the later rounds who, despite his small-ish size, can score a bit at the NHL level, and they trade him away! now others might be convinced that Kessy will "never" play with the Oilers (based on what exactly?), but his coaches seem to think there is some progressing going on with him, that he's worked extremely hard to become a well rounded player, and he just may have a future after all with the Oil down the road and not just be another "goon".

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

Yeah would would rather have a 6'4" guy who is softer than a guy like Reider, costs 4 times as much is a black hole of minus.

I've come to the conclusion after watching the oilers moves to 'get size' that the old cliched size does not matter is 100% true. Jam matters.

Jul 19, 2012
Yeah would would rather have a 6'4" guy who is softer than a guy like Reider, costs 4 times as much is a black hole of minus.

I've come to the conclusion after watching the oilers moves to 'get size' that the old cliched size does not matter is 100% true. Jam matters.

See that's the thing. Size + Jam = Player we want.

Size + no jam = Player MacT signs.

No size + no jam = Players we have / had.

RABBIT

What kind of 'fan' comes here to post about this stupid **** and bring up old threads? No one cares about your 5 point player, there are better things to worry about.

You seriously complaining about this? Everyone else, thank you for the replies. Despite popular belief, I was not here to brag about a 5 point player lol.

Sorry to "bring up bad news" but I highly doubt this trade is something the Oilers consider to be the dark days. Afterall, he really is only a 5 point player. A lot of us on our section liked Kale Kessy, so I figured I gauge your reactions to it. Take care

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 19, 2012
You seriously complaining about this? Everyone else, thank you for the replies. Despite popular belief, I was not here to brag about a 5 point player lol.

Sorry to "bring up bad news" but I highly doubt this trade is something the Oilers consider to be the dark days. Afterall, he really is only a 5 point player. A lot of us on our section liked Kale Kessy, so I figured I gauge your reactions to it. Take care

Tempers are rather short around here lately (the past 3-4 years). Losing daily and knowing the solutions while the idiots who get paid millions to implement and execute them keep wallowing around in the muck of uselessness gets people a tad testy.

Take care, sorry for my compatriots poor behaviour. It's not acceptable but understandable given our position as the laughing stock of all hockeydom.

Last edited by a moderator:

RABBIT

Tempers are rather short around here lately (the past 3-4 years). Losing daily and knowing the solutions while the idiots who get paid millions to implement and execute them keep wallowing around in the muck of uselessness gets people a tad testy.

Take care, sorry for my compatriots poor behaviour. It's not acceptable but understandable given our position as the laughing stock of all hockeydom.

:laugh: no worries. Thank you! And trust me, the Coyotes know what it feels like to be the laughing stock as well so I feel you. At least you'll always have butts in the seats am i right?! Like I said, I think you guys are a McDavid away from the post season. Hope to see you there in the next few years because God knows neither one of us are anywhere near the playoffs this year.

And to answer the other questions, Ganger sucks but Dubnyk has been surprisingly strong. Still waiting for him to fall off though, won't take long.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
That's even worse. It's like a Preds fan makes a whole thread in the Caps section asking "So.. how about that Forsberg?" after they go through an 8 game losing streak.

It's a total POS and it's not even a good troll because the player wouldn't make it here anyway and requested a trade, nothing more to say. So long rabbit.

Another game for Milos~!

As for not making it here, that has a lot to do with our pathetic talent evaluation as anything else. We are constantly sending guys who were not good enough to be on the oilers to go to other teams and thrive.

Jul 19, 2012
:laugh: no worries. Thank you! And trust me, the Coyotes know what it feels like to be the laughing stock as well so I feel you. At least you'll always have butts in the seats am i right?! Like I said, I think you guys are a McDavid away from the post season. Hope to see you there in the next few years because God knows neither one of us are anywhere near the playoffs this year.

And to answer the other questions, Ganger sucks but Dubnyk has been surprisingly strong. Still waiting for him to fall off though, won't take long.

That's what Kevin Lowe tells Katz every time Katz calls him and says "What the **** is the problem THIS year Kevin???"

Yes, suck he does. He is currently thriving off Doaner's coat tails. Ahh, Shane Doan. Another draft pick the Oilers passed over, and I was in the stands for that one chanting his name like the other 13,000 fans in attendance. But no, we get Steve ****ing Kelly.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
What kind of 'fan' comes here to post about this stupid **** and bring up old threads? No one cares about your 5 point player, there are better things to worry about.

Actually, that's precisely the point.

This franchise has, over and over again, handed away useful assets for zip all.

Let's go back 6 years (where we gave up an asset that is playing in the league whereas the return for that asset is not):

Smid
Horcoff
Rieder
Cogliano
Nash
Visnovsky
Brodziak
Erik Cole

That's not world-beater territory, but THIS team would be arguably better off with every single one of these players in place of somebody on the roster right now. That's a lot of waste, especially when you consider that, in the same time, Edmonton has not given up assets that aren't in the league for assets that are, EXCEPT:

Fistric
Mike Brown
Colin Fraser
Jerred Smithsen
David Perron (debatable)
Ben Scrivens
Pinizzotto
Victor Fasth
Nikitin

I know which of those groups I prefer, anyway.

Jul 19, 2012
^you can thank the almighty Glen Sather for that! the same genius that drafts d-man Dylan McIlrath over d-man Cam Fowler.

Yup. That was ridiculous. Mind you Fowler fell pretty far that draft and a lot of GM's passed him over if I recall.

Crap Oiler drafting goes back a long long way, decades in fact and is a huge part of the reason we are eating this **** sandwich right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad