Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Off topic, kind of:

Would anyone offer the Wings' 1st in 2021 for PLD?

Yeah I would 100%. Larkin and PLD with Veleno and Rasmussen eventually competing for the 3C spot would be a nice group of centers, very well-oriented towards playoff hockey imo. Realistically, we're probably picking in the #4-7 range again. As much as I like a prospect like Beniers, realistically, you're hoping he develops into the type of player PLD already is. Maybe there is a higher ceiling for Beniers, but I don't think it's so much higher that I'd pass on the more proven player. None of the primary four LHD have really "wowwed" me so much that I wouldn't trade our first for a proven top six center in PLD.

Quick edit: I'd offer our first and Columbus' choice between Veleno and Rasmussen as a starting point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Power
Hughes
Beniers
Johnson
Lambos

Would be my preference for us.... but I'm not locked into anything.

Reactions: Gniwder

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How many WHL games are we going to get to evaluate these kids before the draft? Kinda sucks, I was a big fan of Sillinger and Lambos going into this year.

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Preferences, not set in stone at all:

D: Hughes, Power, Clarke
F: Eklund, Beniers, Johnson

I also like Lysell a lot, and I wouldn't hate him as best player available, but I hope one of our needs can be addressed.

Reactions: Killerjas

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Power
Hughes
Beniers
Johnson
Lambos

Would be my preference for us.... but I'm not locked into anything.

Those five plus Edvinsson and Clarke make up a loose tier for me with Guenther knocking on the door. Eklund should be there on skill and talent but I see him a winger in the NA pro game. The lack of CHL hockey really, really sucks. I have no idea what exactly Clarke and Guenther are looking like as of today. I need to find a way to watch Clarke is Slovakia to see what sort of gains he has made with his skating. He is my favorite player in the draft but I do need to see material improvement with his pivots, edge work and lateral mobility.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Those five plus Edvinsson and Clarke make up a loose tier for me with Guenther knocking on the door. Eklund should be there on skill and talent but I see him a winger in the NA pro game. The lack of CHL hockey really, really sucks. I have no idea what exactly Clarke and Guenther are looking like as of today. I need to find a way to watch Clarke is Slovakia to see what sort of gains he has made with his skating. He is my favorite player in the draft but I do need to see material improvement with his pivots, edge work and lateral mobility.

Clarke is your favorite? That’s a pretty nice endorsement.

I personally prefer Power, Hughes, Lambos to him (mostly due to skating, lesser extent handedness).

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Clarke is your favorite? That’s a pretty nice endorsement.

I personally prefer Power, Hughes, Lambos to him (mostly due to skating, lesser extent handedness).

I think he would be a really good compliment to the defensemen we have in the system. We need a truly dynamic offensive defensemen. To be that at the NHL level though, he needs to improve some of his skating issues (which is never a foregone conclusion in my book). I can get behind Power, Hughes and Lambos because I think they all have pretty high floors. Edvinsson seems a little more boom bust but I need to watch more of him. I think our handedness issues will work themselves out. You can never have too many good right handed defensemen because they are such good trade assets.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I believe he plays tomorrow at 10am

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Also, how will the restrictions, affect draft position?

How do you scout players that haven't played this year?

Or, even scout players that did play, against those that didn't?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also, how will the restrictions, affect draft position?

How do you scout players that haven't played this year?

Or, even scout players that did play, against those that didn't?

You deal with the data you have. Rest of CHL is gonna start in February and will finalize the rankings.

This WJC didn't really affect, maybe for 10 guys. Florian Elias the biggest thing.

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
Who I want us to take from the 2021 draft:

1. Matt Beniers

I'm kind of on board with you here. I wouldn't mind one of the big LD's that are out there but I think he sets us up for a really solid 1-2 Center punch with him and Larkin. They're both similar players in my opinion. Could be an awesome situation to roll out two centers that are defensively responsible can skate like the wind and will put up 60-70 pts a year.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
If you were thinking of targeting a goalie in rounds 2 or 3 who would you take. It doesn’t appear anyone is standing out at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad