Early look for 2021 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I’d even add one of our second tier prospects.

PLD seems poised to breakout and fits our need positionally more than one of the D standouts would next year.

How does the trade affect us in 3 years? What about 5?

PLD is a big, 22 year old center that plays solid defensively, but is also only a career 43.9% on faceoffs. I think he's overall a very good player but I'm unsure what his high end potential is. A very good 2nd line center? Or does he become a legit number one two-way center that pushes Larkin down the lineup?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Red Wings still needs one more potential top-3 defenceman, and this draft has plenty of them to offer. But Matt Beniers has all the makings to be a perfect hockey player, and he would fit perfect in our center mold. So the question is, does Zach Werenski still sleep in his Red Wings-pyjamas? If there is a chance to get him, i think it's worth to wait until he becames a free agent. Draft Beniers in 2021, BPA in 2022, trade 2023 pick for a goalie, sign Werenski in 2024, Stanley cup champs 2026?

Or then just stick with the original plan, d-man in 2021 and center in 2022. I don't envy Yzerman lot options to choose from.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
60. overall currently on my list.

33-71 range.

2nd highest ranked goalie after Wallstedt.
The goalies went earlier than predicted in this past draft, I'm guessing he goes closer to 33 than 71. Second round for sure, I would hope the WIngs pick him if he's still around with their late 2nd.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I don’t want to take Wallstedt with our first pick even if it is 6 or 7. I believe in him more than Askarov but we have too many other holes to fill. However you may have sold me on Cossa. Hard to argue with a 6:06 goalie. I think we have to take him with our first pick in the second if we want him. Like Gniwder said goalies will go early

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
U20 and U18 Swedish leagues cancel their seasons.

It is going to make this upcoming draft more of a crap shoot. Fewer data points to evaluate these kids. Might be the ideal time to change the draft age to 19, teams would have a much better idea of the potential of these kids.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
You will have to stack the system! 368 man years will be off the books until the draft! To a saving of 30 million bucks. That's a facelift if any!

Last edited:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don’t want to take Wallstedt with our first pick even if it is 6 or 7. I believe in him more than Askarov but we have too many other holes to fill. However you may have sold me on Cossa. Hard to argue with a 6:06 goalie. I think we have to take him with our first pick in the second if we want him. Like Gniwder said goalies will go early

Other than those two, there isn't much. Maybe someone pops up.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Power and Johnson both looking pretty good tonight, beniers has been quiet by his normal standards

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I just looked up Kent Johnson’s stats on Elite Prospects. After 10 games he had 10 points. Now after 11 games he has 15. Did he have a five point game last night?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I just looked up Kent Johnson’s stats on Elite Prospects. After 10 games he had 10 points. Now after 11 games he has 15. Did he have a five point game last night?
Yeah, 1g 4a. 9-0 win for Michigan. If you have big ten network he’s playing right now again

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I don't want to get called a homer, but yeah, there are a few prospects, Hughes, Power and Johnson, near the top, with Michigan ties who are interesting to me. No doubt the Wings will have a great chance to scout those three extensively.

Outside of them, another player who caught my attention is Eklund because he's looking to be adjusting pretty well in SHL. I would think there's enough time for him to inch closer toward the top of the rankings, not to mention build strength and become a nice NHL prospect.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Yeaaahhhh Kent Johnson is showing me some stuff. I’m starting to think I’m going to be very happy with who we get from this “down draft year”

Reactions: DetroitRed

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeaaahhhh Kent Johnson is showing me some stuff. I’m starting to think I’m going to be very happy with who we get from this “down draft year”

I like Johnson but someone compared him in late 2020 to Kyle Turris in play style and potential. I think it’s a pretty apt comparison and I think that’s why I stay away from him around where we pick.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I like Johnson but someone compared him in late 2020 to Kyle Turris in play style and potential. I think it’s a pretty apt comparison and I think that’s why I stay away from him around where we pick.
I thought they were just comparing bchl stats. He’s tearing up college now.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I thought they were just comparing bchl stats. He’s tearing up college now.

That was the other comparison. I like Kent Johnson but if his floor is a 2C similar to Kyle Turris then I'd rather have Beniers who I think is a safe floor of a 2C similar to Larkin. There may not be as much flash to his skillset but I think he'll end up as the more dependable player of the two.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We don't know where we pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->