Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
There's a youngster not fulfilling his early promise and then there's this: ex-Liverpool Jordon Ibe released for free at 28 years old from 5th tier National league side Ebbsfleet after only 1 appearance this season.

To think Bournemouth once paid a then club record transfer fee of 15M for him.

Ex-Liverpool wonderkid is released by non-league side Ebbsfleet

IIRC, for example LITN never rated him much back when he was hyped.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
There's a youngster not fulfilling his early promise and then there's this: ex-Liverpool Jordon Ibe released for free at 28 years old from 5th tier National league side Ebbsfleet after only 1 appearance this season.

I believe someone said that Ibe was better than Sane back when they were both teens. I don't recall who anymore (and I'm not sure it was a Liverpool fan, let alone one who is still around).

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Ibe seems like an example of sorts why it makes sense for some youngsters to sign that big contract for a big club as a hyped teen, since a few years later they might never get a chance again.

So I wouldn't necessarily blame the "loan army" players who joined Chelsea in the past or their current crop of Brazilian youngsters who may never become top European level players. The hype often dies pretty quickly in a couple of years.

I haven't done any exact calculations, but I'm not convinced it's a better choice for a rich PL club to sign "promising" youngsters for a relatively cheaper transfer fees and salaries (but still expensive million pound contracts) compared to signing more established 23-24 year olds for higher cost, who they can reasonably expect to get a 5-6 years of good value from.

Reactions: cgf

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I believe someone said that Ibe was better than Sane back when they were both teens. I don't recall who anymore (and I'm not sure it was a Liverpool fan, let alone one who is still around).
Our old friend Curt (who I do not believe is still around) was driving the bus on that one. Started with Ibe being better than Sterling and evolved from there

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Yeah he had absolutely no end product. Never understood his hype. Ben Woodburn was another one.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
That was another Curt special. Woodburn was fun and had a great song, but dude just had no position on the field
Reminds me of how some Pool fans claimed Harry Wilson was a better prospect than Mount because he had more goal contributions at Derby in 18-19

Nevermind that Mount was 19 and Wilson was 22, still playing in the Championship

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Reminds me of how some Pool fans claimed Harry Wilson was a better prospect than Mount because he had more goal contributions at Derby in 18-19

Nevermind that Mount was 19 and Wilson was 22, still playing in the Championship
i mean…the last two years....(just kidding)

But yeah I mean we hype up what we see the most of. I wasn’t a huge Wilson guy but he’s carved out a nice career. I’ve learned some scoring lessons on the way too.

I remember the standout Chelsea guy that I saw at youth level (that made the biggest impression on me in limited viewing) was actually Andres Christensen

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
i mean…the last two years....(just kidding)

But yeah I mean we hype up what we see the most of. I wasn’t a huge Wilson guy but he’s carved out a nice career. I’ve learned some scoring lessons on the way too.

I remember the standout Chelsea guy that I saw at youth level (that made the biggest impression on me in limited viewing) was actually Andres Christensen
It's true, but it's (in general) a safe bet that if a guy is on loan in the Champ at 22 he is (probably) not going to be a star. I like Wilson, but I think it was clear that his ceiling was being a solid contributor on a mid table team, unless you were wowed by free kicks.

Christensen, oh Christensen. A funny player. He's forged an excellent career - I mean, ffs, he played an hour of a successful UCL Final - and yet there's always been a sense that he could've been more. His skillset left a very high floor, but there's a ceiling he never quite got to. He's barely different today than he was when he was great on loan at Gladbach. He relies on the floor his skillset gives him, and gave him at Gladbach.

The Chelsea youngsters I was historically highest on were, in order, Loftus Cheek, Mount, and Gallagher.

Loftus Cheek, I will always wonder what would've been if not for the Achilles injury in 2019. If he's healthy, hes a nailed on starter in the Lampard season, and probably extremely kicks on. He was brilliant down the stretch for Sarri. I'm so happy he's now really thriving in Italy, he's always had everything there to be unplayable.

Mount is Mount. I hope he regains fitness and confidence and shows the world what he can do, I just wish it was at Chelsea. I think every Chelsea fan knew he was the goods, the question was just where he would show it. After he obliterated the Eredivisie, it was clear.

Gallagher's Championship loans at Charlton and Swansea sold me. At WBA I was thinking "put this guy in a team with a better coach and he'll thrive." Then he went to Palace and was brilliant. Now he's our captain, and we'll probably lose him because we blow.

I also really liked Patrick van Aanholt, who never hit the highs I hoped he would.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's true, but it's (in general) a safe bet that if a guy is on loan in the Champ at 22 he is (probably) not going to be a star. I like Wilson, but I think it was clear that his ceiling was being a solid contributor on a mid table team, unless you were wowed by free kicks.

Christensen, oh Christensen. A funny player. He's forged an excellent career - I mean, ffs, he played an hour of a successful UCL Final - and yet there's always been a sense that he could've been more. His skillset left a very high floor, but there's a ceiling he never quite got to. He's barely different today than he was when he was great on loan at Gladbach. He relies on the floor his skillset gives him, and gave him at Gladbach.

The Chelsea youngsters I was historically highest on were, in order, Loftus Cheek, Mount, and Gallagher.

Loftus Cheek, I will always wonder what would've been if not for the Achilles injury in 2019. If he's healthy, hes a nailed on starter in the Lampard season, and probably extremely kicks on. He was brilliant down the stretch for Sarri. I'm so happy he's now really thriving in Italy, he's always had everything there to be unplayable.

Mount is Mount. I hope he regains fitness and confidence and shows the world what he can do, I just wish it was at Chelsea. I think every Chelsea fan knew he was the goods, the question was just where he would show it. After he obliterated the Eredivisie, it was clear.

Gallagher's Championship loans at Charlton and Swansea sold me. At WBA I was thinking "put this guy in a team with a better coach and he'll thrive." Then he went to Palace and was brilliant. Now he's our captain, and we'll probably lose him because we blow.

I also really liked Patrick van Aanholt, who never hit the highs I hoped he would.
For sure. You can say that both Mount and Wilson reached the best possible version for themselves. And kudos for them.

I loved Christensen at the youth level. The one thing about the academy levels in England is NOBODY defends. Like at all. Christensen out there was gobbling people up and running the game from the back. Not to get all hockey, but I think he just wasn't mean enough for England, but he's carved out a really nice role at Barca too.

So many talented guys and a lot just comes down to how they respond to injured and adversity. That's the stuff that doesn't usually jump off the screen. Rhain Brewster I thought was going to pop off but his knee exploded and just did not come back. Brewster was something else at that level especially after seeing people try and talk themselves into beer league strikers than Adam Morgan, Bobby Duncan, etc.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
For me at Chelsea it was Kakuta.
Guy was absolutely brilliant in youth categories.
Yet I already saw him play robotic football at the U19 euros in Normandy. He was not playing like the football genius he was before and you could see the pressure got to him.
He forged a decent career afterwards but people along the way claimed he was arguably the best player they'd ever seen and yet that didn't translate to a dominant season. Sometimes stretches. I think he could never cope with game pressure with high stakes.

Reactions: gary69 and Savant

mfilipo3

Jan 13, 2017
He seems to be playing as a no. 6 there of late. I also thought he was at his best when playing in a back 3 rather than 4

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Yeah he's done ok in the 6 role. I don't expect him to continue playing there next season, I assume he will rotate with Cubarsi and Kounde/Araujo? Don't think both will be on the team come august

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Related to that. Looks like we might continue the trend of free signings and go for Guido Rodriguez. He would be a big improvement over Oriol Romeu. He's a good player although with some injury concerns. Apparently he would not be the only player coming for the DM position

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
@luiginb i know you mentioned this today in the other thread but Geertuida was at the West Ham x LFC game today. Probably a coincidence…

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad