Value of: Dylan Larkin to Montreal

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Just a point on what was said about Mantha and how it's being said about Larkin. I feel Yzerman looks at any trade offer that helps or reinforces his youth core build-up. Larkin is not old but is probably 30+ when Yzerman's youth core reaches prime years.
And I'm making the point that we weren't wrong about Mantha. We said that we wouldn't sell low on him. We didn't. We sold high in a big way. Larkin has even more value to the team, and so not only will we not sell low, you're going to have to really overpay.

It's true that Larkin will not be a core contributor to this team by the time we're a contender. Can he be our defensively responsible 2C and captain well into his 30s though? Can he establish a team culture of leaving it all on the ice? Absolutely. Buffalo would have been so much better off with Ryan O'Reilly around to let Eichel and Reinhart develop in a functional team environment with a good culture. That's how Yzerman builds. Stamkos essentially didn't play on the way to one cup and was a complementary piece in the other. He was also hugely important to the team for 1. Establishing the culture of taking less salary to keep the team together and working hard and 2. Being the leader of the team and most important voice in the locker room. That's the path that we're setting Larkin on. As you say though we're still building the rest of the Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Vasi core around him.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Just a point on what was said about Mantha and how it's being said about Larkin. I feel Yzerman looks at any trade offer that helps or reinforces his youth core build-up. Larkin is not old but is probably 30+ when Yzerman's youth core reaches prime years.

Then why did he acquire Leddy, Nedelkovich and Suter if not for his team to take a step forward? They don’t need to make the playoff but if they are somewhat at least competitive that will be a great plus and a good environment for the kids coming in

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sure but it was the same type of comments. He's not getting traded... we will sign him and keep him.
If you seriously can't tell the difference between the Mantha situation and the Larkin situation, I don't know what to tell you.

Is it possible? Sure. Anything's possible. Hell, Yzerman could perhaps one day be seized by a fit of horrible jealousy over the idea of Detroit having a beloved longtime captain at C that isn't him and send the guy away out of spite. Is it likely? No, and seriously trying to pressure Wings fans into those sorts of discussions based on such a remote possibility is kind of a dick move.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I can't tell if you got my point but didn't communicate this clearly or if you missed it entirely. ;)
Suspecting the former.
If I've learned anything about HF, it's that nobody ever gets anyone else's point, ever. Even this post, I know you are not going to get the point. Makes me wonder what is the point?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Because Detroit has negative interest in trading Dylan Larkin. We don't care if it's a fair deal. The idea is that since we're doing something we really don't want to do, you have to pay through the nose to make us do it. Detroit gains nothing by dealing Larkin for anything remotely in the ballpark of a fair price. It doesn't mean we think he's worth X. It means that we wouldn't give him to you for anything less than X.

usually desire to max improve team means you look for acceptably high profit which varies from situation to situation and asset to asset.

Occasionally you get a guy who there is less than zero reason for a team to deal. So the price goes thru the roof, understandably.
The only immediate flag is he has just 2 yrs, last time I looked.
But unlike say Matthews in TOR and there is a ? of whether or not HE wants to leave at some pt around that 3rd yr, does anyone doubt Larkin can stay in DET for as long as he wants?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He would cost Habs a lot more then Habs fans would want to pay

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I very much doubt MTL have any desire to give up what would be required to pry Dylan away. Wings have no reason or want to trade him.

Fun discussion tho-

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If for whatever reason Larkin and/ or Yzerman decided it was best to move on I would think something around Larkin for Suzuki would be my starting point

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
wings fan and their fixation with a god complex on Steve Yzerman is soooo weird.

"he never lose a trade and always WIN" stfu you sound like a high Dj khaled.

That didn't start or come from Wings fans. Not real ones anyway!

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
While I think the offer isn't good enough for Detroit to consider trading Larkin, if his price is half the Eichel price (which was reported to be equal to 4 1st round pick), KK + 1st 22 is in fact half the supposed Eichel price.

I think KK+ 1st 22 + 2 2nd makes more sense as a serious trade for Larkin.

Teams usually don’t just give their young captains away: usually requires a bit of an overpayment to obtain said player.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
No thanks. You guys can keep Larkin. The cost of getting him due to the whole "local hero" thing wouldn't be worth it considering the production he gives.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
If for whatever reason Larkin and/ or Yzerman decided it was best to move on I would think something around Larkin for Suzuki would be my starting point
Are the wings adding Seider or something?

Why would Habs trade a 21YO #1C who's been outproducing Larkin for him?

Reactions: PullHard

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Then why did he acquire Leddy, Nedelkovich and Suter if not for his team to take a step forward? They don’t need to make the playoff but if they are somewhat at least competitive that will be a great plus and a good environment for the kids coming in
to acquire more sssets at the deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad