Value of: Dylan Larkin to Montreal

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Honestly I have more misgivings about Larkin than a lot of Wings fans. I don't think he's the smartest or most skilled so as he gets older and his speed comes down a notch, his game might really go downhill.

That being said he's our only top 6 center, with no prospects that project as top 6 centers. He's the face of the franchise and known for his hard-working attitude that should set a good example for the kids coming in. He's had a nearly ppg season in the past and is coming off an injury-riddled down-year. He's from Michigan and gives every indication that he wants to be a Wing for the long haul. Which is all to say that the Red Wings and Wings fans value him much more highly than anyone else is likely to. Whatever you think Larkin is worth, add 50% to that and we can negotiate from there. That's too much? Of course it is. That's why he's not getting traded.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Larkin probably isn't a PPG center. But, he's a 20/40 guy, who is a good locker room guy, and plays a 2 way game. Think of a Toews... but with hands... that don't score nearly as well.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We need a youngish veteran 3C for a few years...and we want the best from the other teams?

That makes sense....zzzzzz

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
It would be tough for detroit to trade larkin for the simple fact that we are paper thin at C and would need basically someone similar to larkin in return to fill the void he would leave. So if you're thinking about posting a trade for larkin, add some valuable centers as a starting point, but think of our timeline we are 3-5 years away from being playoff-contenders so age would be factor on what you're trying to offer up.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Internet. Fans. Dreams. Mine is bigger arguments.

Or, we like our player and don't want to trade him for a zero sum offer or futures when he's still young and the core of what we're trying to do unless it's such a stupid offer we can't turn it down.

Suzuki is a better player. You won't trade us Suzuki, so there isn't a trade to be made here. I don't want Kotkaniemi, a defensive prospect, and a grab bag for the one current good C we have.

E: But sure, we're just assholes who value Dylan Larkin like he's gold. Whichever one blows up your dress.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Or, we like our player and don't want to trade him for a zero sum offer or futures when he's still young and the core of what we're trying to do unless it's such a stupid offer we can't turn it down.

Suzuki is a better player. You won't trade us Suzuki, so there isn't a trade to be made here. I don't want Kotkaniemi, a defensive prospect, and a grab bag for the one current good C we have.

E: But sure, we're just assholes who value Dylan Larkin like he's gold. Whichever one blows up your dress.
I'm not sure why you had to tell me all that. I responded to a different fan and it was a general comment.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Literally whenever Larkin has had anything resembling talent around him, he has been great. He's not Connor McDavid in that he can succeed 100% on his own. But Dylan Larkin is a very good hockey player.

Its funny you should mention McD. I have always wanted to see Larkin on one of McDavds wings...

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Its funny you should mention McD. I have always wanted to see Larkin on one of McDavds wings...

Oh yeah, he'd be f***ing fabulous on McDavid's wing. Unlike Athanasiou who is puck dominant and rotted on the vine there... Larkin is a facilitator along with being a fast, defensive forward. Larkin played with Kane before in international and exhibition games and was magic.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
If Larkin was on another team he might be pluckable, but seeing as he's a hometown boy playing for his hometown team I don't see Detroit moving him unless it's a massive overpay. Pretty sure they want to build around him.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Here is the Detroit Centre Depth Chart:

D. Larkin (Is a legit 2C at worst)
P. Suter (Patrick Kane/Debrincat made him look good?)
M. Rasmussen (high draft pick but is basically a ceiling of Nick Bjugstad)
J. Veleno (Rookie may not even make the team)(Ceiling probably of 3C)
F. Neilsen (Should be retired)
AHL names....

What Prospects do we have that might play centre in the future?

No one really....

I mean our team can't trade Larkin because our Centre depth is probably the worst in the whole league (and that includes Arizona and Buffalo who are tanking on purpose).

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
If Larkin was on another team he might be pluckable, but seeing as he's a hometown boy playing for his hometown team I don't see Detroit moving him unless it's a massive overpay. Pretty sure they want to build around him.
Not to mention his parents can be at every home game…15-20 minute drive

Reactions: 48MPHSlapShot

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
To MTL: Larkin
To DET: Kotkaniemi ++

I just don't know what the plus is.
At this point, Detroit's pretty loaded with prospects.
Maybe add Petry and we add Staal and you throw in good pick.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
Montreal isn't going to give up Suzuki, so that leaves Detroit with no proven centers for the top 3 lines. Pass. We have a bunch of question marks at center all ready. No need to trade the only proven center we have for another question mark.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Suzuki+ would be the obvious answer. Habs probably say no because they think Suzuki can be a 1C for them... Detroit won't move him for less though. Franchise player for them and hometown Hero to go on top of it.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Suzuki+ would be the obvious answer. Habs probably say no because they think Suzuki can be a 1C for them... Detroit won't move him for less though. Franchise player for them and hometown Hero to go on top of it.

Not really sure why Suzuki+ seems obvious when Suzuki is younger, coming off a much better season (including a fantastic playoff run), cheaper, and still on his ELC rather than 2 seasons from UFA.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not really sure why Suzuki+ seems obvious when Suzuki is younger, coming off a much better season (including a fantastic playoff run), cheaper, and still on his ELC rather than 2 seasons from UFA.
I don't think Detroit could consider moving Larkin for less than that.

He's too important, our center depth/pipeline behind him is really, really weak. Don't be surprised if Detroit drafts like 8 centers in next year's draft.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I don't think Detroit could consider moving Larkin for less than that.

He's too important, our center depth/pipeline behind him is really, really weak. Don't be surprised if Detroit drafts like 8 centers in next year's draft.

None of that makes Suzuki+ a realistic value for Larkin though. The thread title is "value of" and the OP asks for a trade that makes sense for both sides. We can't just magically say Jeff Petry would return Seider+ because he is extremely important to us and is our only PMD.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
None of that makes Suzuki+ a realistic value for Larkin though. The thread title is "value of" and the OP asks for a trade that makes sense for both sides. We can't just magically say Jeff Petry would return Seider+ because he is extremely important to us and is our only PMD.
If Petry was 25 years old, the captain of your team and Detroit wanted to add him because they're chasing a cup while Montreal was rebuilding - absolutely that would be the return you would ask for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->