Value of: Dylan Larkin to Montreal

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Well he’s had a better season than Larkin did and (obviously) a much better off season, so there’s that going for Suzuki

Wow Larkin was hurt for most of the 44 games he played plus lost Bertuzzi and Mantha playing like his typical s**t self.

I didn’t know Vegas and Tampa were part of the Canadian division
He's talking about the regular season with the Canadian rivals not the playoffs.

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
Yah, cause he did SOOOO terrible in the playoffs right?

Any Canadian teams would've whooped the Red Wings ass this year, so... there's that

Remind us what happened the last season the two teams played. are you old enough to remember? Historical bad season for the wings and the habs still could beat them haha.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Remind us what happened the last season the two teams played. are you old enough to remember? Historical bad season for the wings and the habs still could beat them haha.
last season ? haha . we let that go long ago . out of curiosity did you happen to watch any of the playoffs this year even though you were probalbly out by halloween?

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
last season ? haha . we let that go long ago . out of curiosity did you happen to watch any of the playoffs this year even though you were probalbly out by halloween?

If you believe your gonna do that again with a real season, well, good for you.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
As a Habs fan, still wonder why that thread isn't closed yet. I mean, every goddamn player is tradeable, but there's also a context. Like, why would Detroit trade him ? I see no reason at all, and his value, while not as sky high as some here seem to think, still is wayyyyyy too much for what I suppose we'd have to give to get him. Like Suzuki, to begin with, and it's a no.

So yeah, unless Larkin wants to become UFA at the end of his contract (that would be weird though, being a Michigan boy and all), or one of their young centers becomes so damn great he's rendered redundant, just can't see anything done between the 2 teams.

Bertuzzi, on the other hand...

Reactions: Viqsi and SirloinUB

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
KK + Primeau + 1st round pick 2022

Would that makes sense for both teams?

Should MTL add a decent D prospect to the mix?

KK + Primeau + Norlinder + 1st round pick 2022

too much? not enough?
The value of KK is hard to peg. Some GMs likely put a low value on him. Think he’s a bust. Others may feel differently and see a lot of potential. MB would need to find the GMs that still like this player. A lot of GMs will be a low value on KK. But that doesn’t mean all of them will.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
And if you believe that is going to happen again this upcoming season WELL GOOD FOR YOU.

Reactions: glenbuis

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
And if you believe that is going to happen again this upcoming season WELL GOOD FOR YOU.

Ya ya, we all get it, you guys are perennial Stanley cup contenders now. Bet you didn't think the Wings would have swept the regular season last time either, but by all means continue thinking your team is awesome.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Ya ya, we all get it, you guys are perennial Stanley cup contenders now. Bet you didn't think the Wings would have swept the regular season last time either, but by all means continue thinking your team is awesome.

Weird things happen during the regular season all the time. I wouldn’t say winning a season series is much of anything to brag about. Although, I will admit when we were trying to climb back into the playoff race that year, so it was definitely annoying dropping games to a lottery team.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The value of KK is hard to peg. Some GMs likely put a low value on him. Think he’s a bust. Others may feel differently and see a lot of potential. MB would need to find the GMs that still like this player. A lot of GMs will be a low value on KK. But that doesn’t mean all of them will.

Why would anyone put a low value on a guy like Kotkaniemi? Lots of players in his draft year are still considered top prospects and he’s younger than them. Do they get a free pass and Kotkaniemi no?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Why would anyone put a low value on a guy like Kotkaniemi? Lots of players in his draft year are still considered top prospects and he’s younger than them. Do they get a free pass and Kotkaniemi no?
A few of them are substantially better players. Like the two men picked either side of KK. The guy picked first OA and Hughes. There are others I don’t think carry much value. Like the guy picked 5OA or Zadina in Detroit. These guys have lost some luster since they were picked.

KK falls closer to them than he would a Brady Tkachuk. That’s not debatable. KK hasn’t set the NhL on fire. He was a healthy scratch at times in the playoffs including the Stanley Cup final. He has some stretches where he’s impactful and good. Others where he disappears.

Until he develops some consistency, his value is hard to pin down. Will be in the eyes of the beholder. That’s unlike a Tkachuk which we all assume will develop into a force. He pretty much already is a menace to his opponents.

I don’t think anyone simply assumes KK will become a force in the NHL. Right now he isn’t. He just may become one and I won’t rule that out. He may also fall well short of expectations. Next season is a huge one for him. No more danault. Someone needs to absorb those minutes. No more training wheels.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
A few of them are substantially better players. Like the two men picked either side of KK. The guy picked first OA and Hughes. There are others I don’t think carry much value. Like the guy picked 5OA or Zadina in Detroit. These guys have lost some luster since they were picked.

KK falls closer to them than he would a Brady Tkachuk. That’s not debatable. KK hasn’t set the NhL on fire. He was a healthy scratch at times in the playoffs including the Stanley Cup final. He has some stretches where he’s impactful and good. Others where he disappears.

Until he develops some consistency, his value is hard to pin down. Will be in the eyes of the beholder. That’s unlike a Tkachuk which we all assume will develop into a force. He pretty much already is a menace to his opponents.

I don’t think anyone simply assumes KK will become a force in the NHL. Right now he isn’t. He just may become one and I won’t rule that out. He may also fall well short of expectations. Next season is a huge one for him. No more danault. Someone needs to absorb those minutes. No more training wheels.

Assuming you believe everything you just said means that the following players have dismissed values as well:

Boqvist, Hayton, Zadina, Kravstov, Bouchard, Walhstrom, Dobson, Denisenko, Kaut, Foudy, Miller, Alexeyev, Sandin, Dellandrea and Veleno all carries little value because they haven't been able to secure a top 6 or top 4 role in the NHL before 21 years old? That's absurd. Most of these guys carries a lot of value (See Boqvist who was the main piece in the Jones deal) - and by the way, all of them are older than Kotkaniemi.

Also, if, in your opinion, Kotkaniemi carries little value to (some) GMs, wouldn't it be fair to say the same about Newhook? After all, he's less than 6 months younger than Kotkaniemi and he hasn't been able to produce at the NHL level yet despite some decent (equivalent) ice time to Kotkaniemi and his PPG in the AHL at 20 is barely better than Kotkaniemi's at 19. Do still think a bunch of NHL GMs think Kotkaniemi or even Newhook carries little value around the league? Because from what I understand and what I have seen from your own posts, you see Newhook as an untouchable who do carry a tons of value.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I'm not making trades with Yzerman or Sakic under any circumstances we're going to end up in a bath tub missing a kidney
other gm's should really block their number . especially yzerman . the man should face criminal charges for his dealings

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Assuming you believe everything you just said means that the following players have dismissed values as well:

Boqvist, Hayton, Zadina, Kravstov, Bouchard, Walhstrom, Dobson, Denisenko, Kaut, Foudy, Miller, Alexeyev, Sandin, Dellandrea and Veleno all carries little value because they haven't been able to secure a top 6 or top 4 role in the NHL before 21 years old? That's absurd. Most of these guys carries a lot of value (See Boqvist who was the main piece in the Jones deal) - and by the way, all of them are older than Kotkaniemi.

Also, if, in your opinion, Kotkaniemi carries little value to (some) GMs, wouldn't it be fair to say the same about Newhook? After all, he's less than 6 months younger than Kotkaniemi and he hasn't been able to produce at the NHL level yet despite some decent (equivalent) ice time to Kotkaniemi and his PPG in the AHL at 20 is barely better than Kotkaniemi's at 19. Do still think a bunch of NHL GMs think Kotkaniemi or even Newhook carries little value around the league? Because from what I understand and what I have seen from your own posts, you see Newhook as an untouchable who do carry a tons of value.

Comparing KK to a guy who has played 6 NHL games makes total sense.........

Have any of the other players played in 171 games and scored at .36 PPG? Or even close to that?
Have any been given as much of a chance as KK and floundered?
Did any of those players get scratched by their coaches at the most important time of year?

I'm not saying KK is a dud, but if you don't think he had lost value after 171 NHL games your not looking close enough.

Reactions: McJedi

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Comparing KK to a guy who has played 6 NHL games makes total sense.........

Have any of the other players played in 171 games and scored at .36 PPG? Or even close to that?
Have any been given as much of a chance as KK and floundered?
Did any of those players get scratched by their coaches at the most important time of year?

I'm not saying KK is a dud, but if you don't think he had lost value after 171 NHL games your not looking close enough.

171 NHL games even before the age of 21. I’ll take that over a guy who’s had 48 games at college level through the same age. They’re practically the same age give or take half a year but because one put up points against college competition over the best of the best he’s being viewed as the better prospect or more prone to be more dominent in the future. Funny

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
171 NHL games even before the age of 21. I’ll take that over a guy who’s had 48 games at college level through the same age

171 games to prove himself and has scored at a .36 PPG, I'll take the guy developing properly over the guy that was rushed in and has never lived up to the hype.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
171 games to prove himself and has scored at a .36 PPG, I'll take the guy developing properly over the guy that was rushed in and has never lived up to the hype.

He wasn’t even 21 years old when Montreal lost the stanley cup to Tampa Bay. He’ll mature and grow his body. He hasn’t been rushed or put in a situation to succeed offensively. With Danault gone, he will have the opportunity for more ice time and better teammates/more opportunity

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
He wasn’t even 21 years old when Montreal lost the stanley cup to Tampa Bay. He’ll mature and grow his body. He hasn’t been rushed or put in a situation to succeed offensively. With Danault gone, he will have the opportunity for more ice time and better teammates/more opportunity

I feel like it's more that he hasn't earned either, He's 6'2 and 200 pounds, mature sure, but grow his body?

To me he's a 3C, maybe 2C eventually that the Habs bet high on and shouldn't have. If that isn't underwhelming for a 3rd OA pick I don't know what is.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I feel like it's more that he hasn't earned either, He's 6'2 and 200 pounds, mature sure, but grow his body?

To me he's a 3C, maybe 2C eventually that the Habs bet high on and shouldn't have. If that isn't underwhelming for a 3rd OA pick I don't know what is.

Right let’s label a high potential 20 years old center as a C because he hasn’t produced as a top 6 as a 18-19-20 years old.

Reactions: glenbuis

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Larkin's a good player on a currently bad team, but he's not the kind of player you spend top end prospects on. He's not the guy you spend KK.

Detroit can keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad