Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
so if we got good value...and filled a hole we desperately needed to be filled.... and you admit that we can't get something for nothing.......why have are you saying you don't like the trade in several long dismal sounding posts?
Because if we lose a 3rd round pick and he walks then it's a waste of a 3rd round pick when we don't have that many picks to begin with and have been trading them away at the deadline for the last 3 years.

I made that clear many times this thread and I will not repeat myself again.

Reactions: rkp

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
And with that being said he's not better than the Jets top 4 D right now and he's not suited to the bottom pairing and the lack of minutes there.

Niku oozes talent but your not going to make a great outlet pass or skate it out if your getting beat off the puck in your own end!
Him getting beat off the puck in his own end is the exact meme I’m talking about. It happens a lot less than before but people believe what they already believe.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Because if we lose a 3rd round pick and he walks then it's a waste of a 3rd round pick when we don't have that many picks to begin with and have been trading them away at the deadline for the last 3 years.

If he helps us get to the playoffs it’s not a waste. Even so we desperately need a top 4 RHD. A 3rd is pretty useless I’m the grand scheme when it likely can’t make an impact sooner then three years from now. And that’s if we make a decent pick.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Him and Niku bottom pair. Might be a good match and provide a servicable bottom pair now.

Kuli and Poolman 2nd pair

Morrissey and pionk top pair.

Not the greatest but that is better.
Specially if Kulikov is healthy and has the jump.

Reactions: NorCalhockey

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

A 3rd rounder is not nothing...but in reality, there's about a 90% chance that DeMelo is better than anyone we get in the 3rd round. If we don't sign him, well that's a lotto ticket thrown in the garbage. Still fairly unlikely it would've turned into anything.

Overall it's a low risk move and worth taking the shot.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We need what Niku brings much more then what Poolman brings on our bottom pairing. We have numerous players who do what Poolman does in Sbisa, Bietto, Beau etc.

Yeah, but Poolman is better than those others and he is a RHS. Joy at keeping Niku off the ice is ....... misplaced. But right now I think it is a bit of a tough choice between Poolman and Niku at 3RD. We have been watching Poolman pushed above his level most of this year. I would like to see him playing 3rd pair opposition for a while. I would also like to see Niku for an extended period.

Reactions: Ducky10

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
He’s easily our 3rd best D. He won’t play bottom pair.
Why do people always undervalue everyone we acquire? His numbers are great on a bad team. He’s easily our number 3 right now and could play top pair as he’s shown he can play vs others teams top players. He’s very good defensively and sneaky under rated offensively, I feel he has potential there too. If we could sign him he would be a fantastic second pairing Dman for years to come all for a third rounder.
Picking him up along with Pionk and Heinola in a calendar year would be a nice haul for Trouba and a third. Please sign him.

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
If he helps us get to the playoffs it’s not a waste. Even so we desperately need a top 4 RHD. A 3rd is pretty useless I’m the grand scheme when it likely can’t make an impact sooner then three years from now. And that’s if we make a decent pick.

A 3rd rounder is not nothing...but in reality, there's about a 90% chance that DeMelo is better than anyone we get in the 3rd round. If we don't sign him, well that's a lotto ticket thrown in the garbage. Still fairly unlikely it would've turned into anything.

Overall it's a low risk move and worth taking the shot.
I respect your guys opinions and agree with them to an extent but not completely.

Its not a terrible move or even a bad one necessarily it’s just not one I would have been looking to make. Of all the rental options it was probably the best so I am happy about that.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

We have all of our picks but 4 over the next three years and the 1st and 2nd rounders(the ones with a real chance of getting an NHL player from) in all of them. So I don't know where you are getting this "we don't have many picks to begin with" idea.

As many have said it's projected to be a weak draft class so the 3rd 4th and 7th round picks this year are not very valuable to begin with.

I'm confused. you say it was good value for the pick...but now you say "if he walks" it's a waste? which is it? a waste or good value?

We needed a player, IMHO just to put a team on the ice we needed someone to play the position...this gives us a good player who fills the exact hole we need today.. and could help us down the stretch and into the playoffs...and we have a good chance of signing him going forward.. I hardly call that a waste.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
He’s easily our 3rd best D. He won’t play bottom pair.

I know :)

But Ottawa fans mentioning

He can carry his line.
And suited with offensive dman.

That balances it out.

Though i think he is a wash vs. Kuli if Kuli is playing fully healthy. (Who ever is better )

With the line up i propose that is 3 servicable pairing.

Instead of 2.

But for sure he can be the 3rd best dmen for the Jets when he steps in. Hopefully he becomes a Pionk in how he gels.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
As many have said it's projected to be a weak draft class so the 3rd 4th and 7th round picks this year are not very valuable to begin with.

I'm confused. you say it was good value for the pick...but now you say "if he walks" it's a waste? which is it? a waste or good value?

We needed a player, IMHO just to put a team on the ice we needed someone to play the position...this gives us a good player who fills the exact hole we need today.. and could help us down the stretch and into the playoffs...and we have a good chance of signing him going forward.. I hardly call that a waste.
The consencus is that it is the strongest draft class in some time.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I would play Niku over Poolman but Maurice won't because he wants Poolman for the PK.

I'd bet DeMelo would adequately fill in for Poolman on the PK and will in time.

Reactions: hn777 and Ducky10

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Have said recently we were a #1D, #4D and #2C away from being a serious playoff team and that we should be trading with an eye to the future, not this year.

With this move, Chevy has filled the #4RD slot for this year and possibly the future, without giving up anything material in return. It is an inspired move in that sense, could help us sneak into the playoffs, but only an unreal Helle could keep us in contention, once there.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
We have all of our picks but 4 over the next three years and the 1st and 2nd rounders(the ones with a real chance of getting an NHL player from) in all of them. So I don't know where you are getting this "we don't have many picks to begin with" idea.

It was good value relative to the other rental deals that are made every year.

He will help for the rest of the year but I have little faith for this team doing any sort of damage for the rest of the season so I don’t really place anything value on that, which again I have mentioned numerous times. The only value I see is in him re-signing past this season.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Remarkable, considering how terrible the Jets' pro scouts are on D scouting, right?
If they're going to do more things I agree with and fewer things that I don't agree with, then I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of them! :laugh:

Really though, I'd be thrilled if the Jets pro scouts can hit a few homers here...or triples and doubles anyway. Underrated, low cost players that will improve the team...this is the way!

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Guess you haven't watched the games he's played in, about all I can say, and yeah I know opinions are like a*# holes, everyone has one!

Actually, I've watched every single game he's played for the Jets. But how does the number of games I've seen have any effect on the fact that you were trying to pass off an opinion as information?

And yes, I know what opinions are like, but on here I would much rather see just your opinion.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
So Chevy gets a guy who is a proven defensive D man (Plus player over 100 GM with crappy Ottawa team), which is just what the doctor ordered..... for a 3rd, that might translate into a player, 5 years from now. Some people actually complaining about this? Tough crowd.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would play Niku over Poolman but Maurice won't because he wants Poolman for the PK.

I'd bet DeMelo would adequately fill in for Poolman on the PK and will in time.

That's a tough call. I don't think Poolman is up to speed yet, but he has been good on the PK. De Melo gets one practice in. Does he get on the PK right away? Honestly on the PP I would rather see Harkins than Niku. But it might be good to get Niku a couple of games in a row. A good game would be good for his confidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00