Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
That is terrifying.

My guess would be Niku. My hope would be Kulikov. Haven't been impressed with him lately.

Note on Poolman, ignoring the one big gaff he had at the end of the first period he actually had the best metrics of any defenseman against LA last night.
And that’s why you have to watch the game and not watch spreadsheets, he was f***ing brutal last night.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
As per Chevy good in the room.

Trade is Ok,

But my question is why they always say this year after acquiring someone "he is good in the room"?

What the heck is wrong in the room they need to keep picking up someone who is good in the room .
I know its not a bad thing, but its what maurice or chevy always say this year. Weird.

Gope he can help.

Go Jets Go

No one ever said that whenever Evander Kane was traded.

But to answer your question: in all sports, coaching and management make decisions based on a lot of factors, many of them subjective and unquantifiable. When they have to explain the rationale behind a feeling or a hunch, they resort to standard cliches. Really boring cliches. Really, really overworked cliches.

Hope that answer satisfies you because I gave it 110%.

I mean, I left it all out there on the screen...

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Seems like a great trade. Ottawa fans seem to really like him and can't believe that's all they got for him. There is a lot of negativity around this team lately, but I don't understand why, we aren't far away from competing. We make a trade at the deadline and I don't think we're in a bad spot. Maybe not quite a top team but good enough to be exciting and fun to watch. If we can make the playoffs this team will go as far as Helle. He has stolen games this year, if he can do that in the playoffs you never know.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Morrissey DeMelo
Kulikov Pionk

... is how I see the top 4. Pair the two best shutdown types on the first unit to do the heavy lifting then a second unit that has decent balance to it.

Beauleau, Niku, Poolman and the Potato say hey what about us, the Sbisa and the Dull-strom say were still here!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think Tanev is on the market. Martinez is, but is probably demanding a 2nd. Even if it's a stop gap move, and the Jets go in on Hamonic in the offseason, it's a move that bolsters our top 4, which has been an experiment since day 1 of training camp. Let's see what he does in a Jets uni. At 191 lbs, we are still going to be a small defense. But protecting the front of the net isn't all about size. I'm just glad that Poolman moves down into a role he is more suited for, in the 5-7 range.

Agreed. I was looking at Tanev as a UFA strictly. I should have specified. Martinez at a 2nd + decent prospect seemed like too high of a price for a guy who may be aged out of the league.

This has just as good short term improvement, possibly better long term and a cheaper price tag.

It may sting next year if he leaves UFA and we are out the 3rd. But I think the benefit of a 2nd pair calibre defensive dman is worth triple that if it works out.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Here's a little piece of information, Niku isn't really that good, sure he can skate and make a good outlet pass but the problems begin in his own end!
Here's a little more information, his play in his own end has been improving overall and he isn't the only one with issues back there. The guy is never going to be a defensive stalwart, people really need to start understanding that. His role will always be to push the puck and try to drive the offense. He played a solid game last night, and that includes defensively. People are going to just yap about his defensive game, regardless of how he performs, it's just what they believe. Match ups aside, he outplayed Poolman last night AFAIC.

Also, being able to make a good outlet pass or outskate a forecheck, kind of solves a lot of problems in your own end.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
And that’s why you have to watch the game and not watch spreadsheets, he was ****ing brutal last night.
I did, and while I didn't think it was his strongest game but I think you may be overstating the few gaffs he did make. Those events tend to stick out more in your mind than the rest of his game which was pretty sound. Also he seems to take a bit to get comfortable whenever he returns to the lineup, I think before he got injured he was playing very well. With that being said I don't think he should ever be on the top pairing.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Literally my first post in this thread says we got good value come on man get it together if you’re going to come at me.
so if we got good value...and filled a hole we desperately needed to be filled.... and you admit that we can't get something for nothing.......why have are you saying you don't like the trade in several long dismal sounding posts?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Here's a little piece of information, Niku isn't really that good, sure he can skate and make a good outlet pass but the problems begin in his own end!

Yeah he definitely seems like he can still benefit from some time on the Moose. Only room for so many offense first dmen on a team.

He will start to look a lot better in his own end eventually.

Reactions: sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
We need what Niku brings much more then what Poolman brings on our bottom pairing. We have numerous players who do what Poolman does in Sbisa, Bietto, Beau etc.

Poolman fits perfectly as a bottom pairing D man on the Jets and with that being said Niku isn't a bottom pairing D man with his offensive abilities, he's too skilled for the bottom pairing and yet doesn't fit the bill for that pairing.

Jets will have some juggling to do in the off season if DeMelo signs here, how many 6' 190 Ib D men do you need with Morrissey, Poink and Niku already here, for size guys you've got Poolman and Beauleau or Sbisa if either sign.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Here's a little more information, his play in his own end has been improving overall and he isn't the only one with issues back there. The guy is never going to be a defensive stalwart, people really need to start understanding that. His role will always be to push the puck and try to drive the offense. He played a solid game last night, and that includes defensively. People are going to just yap about his defensive game, regardless of how he performs, it's just what they believe. Match ups aside, he outplayed Poolman last night AFAIC.

Also, being able to make a good outlet pass or outskate a forecheck, kind of solves a lot of problems in your own end.

And with that being said he's not better than the Jets top 4 D right now and he's not suited to the bottom pairing and the lack of minutes there.

Niku oozes talent but your not going to make a great outlet pass or skate it out if your getting beat off the puck in your own end!

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I've heard DeMelo works well when he's partnered with someone who's more offensive.

I wouldn't call Niku offensive persay, but I wonder how a Niku-DeMelo pairing would work.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Poolman fits perfectly as a bottom pairing D man on the Jets and with that being said Niku isn't a bottom pairing D man with his offensive abilities, he's too skilled for the bottom pairing and yet doesn't fit the bill for that pairing.

Jets will have some juggling to do in the off season if DeMelo signs here, how many 6' 190 Ib D men do you need with Morrissey, Poink and Niku already here, for size guys you've got Poolman and Beauleau or Sbisa if either sign.

What are you? Maurice? :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets should strongly consider extending DeMelo for 3-5 years. He's 26, and likely to be a solid RD at an affordable price point. My concern is that Chevy is going to preserve his cap space and try to sign Hamonic instead, for more money and a longer term.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Has he been that bad? I haven't been fully watching games lately. I notice him moving the puck a lot but haven't paid a lot of attention on D.
Nah I think he's been progressing very nicely and I definitely wasn't sold on him earlier this year.

Reactions: JetsUK

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I did, and while I didn't think it was his strongest game but I think you may be overstating the few gaffs he did make. Those events tend to stick out more in your mind than the rest of his game which was pretty sound. Also he seems to take a bit to get comfortable whenever he returns to the lineup, I think before he got injured he was playing very well. With that being said I don't think he should ever be on the top pairing.
I thought it was one of the worst performances by a Jets defenseman this year and that's hard to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad