Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
everybody is forgetting we lost statsny, hayes and a 1st pick....that is 3 players not in the system.

who cares. the Stasny rental was a huge win. we got exactly what you want out of a rental player and then didn't overpay to resign him. He put us in solid cup contention. sure we lost to a red hot goalie standing on his head...but that can happen to any team. Hays...didn't work out...that happens sometimes too, but on paper it was the right decision. again no need to retain the rental because we wouldn't have room for him now on the cap anyway. and yes we lost a first.....there is a cost to doing business it's not like we don't have talented youth in the system.

We are a team that has out-drafted our position a bunch of times and still find valuable assets despite those "losses" let alone the 2015 goldmine.
If you take a look at where we are in development of drafted players, our playoff position, Cap considerations and the upcoming entry draft and injuries and we are a well managed team with a ton of assets we can afford to spend a little to fill needs. with Buff gone we needed to do something to salvage this year and here we are, in a playoff race and trending up after a mid season slump...

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
who cares. the Stasny rental was a huge win. we got exactly what you want out of a rental player and then didn't overpay to resign him. He put us in solid cup contention. sure we lost to a red hot goalie standing on his head...but that can happen to any team. Hays...didn't work out...that happens sometimes too, but on paper it was the right decision. again no need to retain the rental because we wouldn't have room for him now on the cap anyway. and yes we lost a first.....there is a cost to doing business it's not like we don't have talented youth in the system.

LOL...who cares...look where we are in the standings....and look at our 2nd line center, waiver wire cast offs, trading for a top four d man on a bottom four team is not getting this team into SC playoffs, what are we now, in the same league as Ottawa?!.....it is poor management that has cost this team this season...chevy knew about Meyers and chariot leaving and really did nothing....he had no plan B.

We are a team that has out-drafted our position a bunch of times and still find valuable assets despite those "losses" let alone the 2015 goldmine.
If you take a look at where we are in development of drafted players, our playoff position, Cap considerations and the upcoming entry draft and injuries and we are a well managed team with a ton of assets we can afford to spend a little to fill needs. with Buff gone we needed to do something to salvage this year and here we are, in a playoff race and trending up after a mid season slump...

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I'm always puzzled by the Poolman love. I haven't liked his game at all. That hit on the Tkachuk might be the only thing I've liked.
Poolman just seems overwhelmed at times in the top pairing. Which is completely understandable.

He needs to move down the lineup and get comfortable in a lesser role, and then build up to that role.

DeMelo can fill that role better, currently. Moving forward, I’d love to see JMo and DeMelo as the top pairing 22+ min dmen going up against the other team’s best. On the road, when the other team has last change, then Kulikov-Pionk gets that matchup more often.

Now I worry about Kulikov in that top 4 role, but he’s the 2nd best Dman we have on left side right now. But that’s a big hole that I see Samberg filling soon (though it could take longer). A third pairing of Beaulieu/Sbisa-Niku/Poolman should be able to handle 15+ mins just fine.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
What would DeMelo’s contract ask this summer be? And what is reasonable?

Jets will have some cap space, and if he would sign a 3-4 year $2.5-$3.0 M/yr deal, I think that would be great value for the Jets. He’s still young and developing, so a multi year deal works.

He doesn’t score as much as Pionk, and Pionk got $3M/yr as a RFA. DeMelo, as a UFA, might get a slight overpay for his production (or lack there of).

If he continues to play solid hockey for Jets, would he sign a 4 year, $12-$13M deal? Would the Jets offer that?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Jets will have some cap space, and if he would sign a 3-4 year $2.5-$3.0 M/yr deal, I think that would be great value for the Jets. He’s still young and developing, so a multi year deal works.

He doesn’t score as much as Pionk, and Pionk got $3M/yr as a RFA. DeMelo, as a UFA, might get a slight overpay for his production (or lack there of).

If he continues to play solid hockey for Jets, would he sign a 4 year, $12-$13M deal? Would the Jets offer that?
Shouldn’t we give him 5 games before signing him to 4 yrs?

Reactions: KB1971

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

From JFresh (@JFresh1999) | Twitter a handy card summarizing Demelo...

Market value here isn't like Evolving Wild's predictions of what a UFA will get on the open market. It's the value a player with those xGAR/xWAR/ES points should be worth. It's trying to assign a value to their expected+actual results.

ERFNkWzX0AEJ0FN

Here's Tyler Myers' card, for example.

ERFOWwaWoAU0W7z

Here's Bogo...negative value! Stay away!

EQ0yvKIX0AE_OKa

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Unfortunately he is going to get paaaaiiiiiid. So,unless he likes the team and wants to win here - we're probably not in the conversation.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Unfortunately he is going to get paaaaiiiiiid. So,unless he likes the team and wants to win here - we're probably not in the conversation.
I don’t think the ask will be unreasonable. Players need the counting stats to get the big contracts. A solid stay at home d man will get a good not a big contract. $ 3-4 M would be all he could reasonably expect.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Fantastic pickup by Chevy, a legit top-4 (top-2?) defender for a mere third round pick. We got the defender we needed without giving up a top winger. How could anyone NOT like this deal??

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Fantastic pickup by Chevy, a legit top-4 (top-2?) defender for a mere third round pick. We got the defender we needed without giving up a top winger. How could anyone NOT like this deal??
It could be Chevys best move if we extend him. Sign him for 4 years at 4 million per year.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don’t think the ask will be unreasonable. Players need the counting stats to get the big contracts. A solid stay at home d man will get a good not a big contract. $ 3-4 M would be all he could reasonably expect.

I'd think he is in that range - someone will give him that as a RHD that is a solid defender. If we are not prepared to make an offer in that range, I'd assume we are not in the picture.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Pionk is going to garner big money on his next deal, assuming he keeps up his pace - currently the 16th defenseman in points/game...although a lot of that is from playing lots on the Jets power play. He's still tied for 46th in ES points. Still, Top 20 defensemen get somewhere north of 8.5% of the cap ($6.9M) and Top 50 get 6.8% or better ($5.5M).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Pionk is going to garner big money on his next deal, assuming he keeps up his pace - currently the 16th defenseman in points/game...although a lot of that is from playing lots on the Jets power play. He's still tied for 46th in ES points. Still, Top 20 defensemen get somewhere north of 8.5% of the cap ($6.9M) and Top 50 get 6.8% or better ($5.5M).
i am curious of what a new Piok contract looks like. he has been a surprise this year, i think given that the expectations were kind of low due to his performance in NYR, but i still do not think he is that great. IMO: His defensive game still needs work, he does have some offensive skills however it is not really translating into 5v5 pts and his production is mostly PP driven via secondary assists. 13 5v5 pts and .69 pts/60 is not really that great. and although he's been productive on the PP, the PP is less effective as a whole imo when he's on there. He's leading our Dmen in pts and ATOI which are usually the main drivers for cap hit

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
We’re screwed if we ever that pay in that range for Pionk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad