Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I would play Niku over Poolman but Maurice won't because he wants Poolman for the PK.

I'd bet DeMelo would adequately fill in for Poolman on the PK and will in time.
He also wants poolman to play on the top d pairing with Morrissey. Something niku can't do. This may have been a debate in the fall but no more niku isnt as good as poolman. Niku looks to have a better shot at ld defence then right.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He also wants poolman to play on the top d pairing with Morrissey. Something niku can't do. This may have been a debate in the fall but no more niku isnt as good as poolman. Niku looks to have a better shot at ld defence then right.
Poolman has no business playing on the top pairing either. I don’t think it’s ideally what Maurice wants, it’s almost what he’s been forced to do. Niku and Poolman have completely different skill sets, in reality they are a pretty decent complimentary pairing, other than both of them playing the right side. I would agree that Niku looks to have more opportunity on the left than the right.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I know :)

But Ottawa fans mentioning

He can carry his line.
And suited with offensive dman.

That balances it out.

Though i think he is a wash vs. Kuli if Kuli is playing fully healthy. (Who ever is better )

With the line up i propose that is 3 servicable pairing.

Instead of 2.

But for sure he can be the 3rd best dmen for the Jets when he steps in. Hopefully he becomes a Pionk in how he gels.
A wash with Kuli? God, I hope he’s a bit better than that. o_O

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You think he plays Poolman on the top line with Pionk and DeMelo in the line up?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I’m sure if he makes it to free agency, Toronto will be sniffing around trying to lure another local boy home. A solid defensive defenseman is exactly what the Laffs are lacking.
i don't know how much money they have. their cap is a clusterf*** to try and interpret lol

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Leafs situation is easy to figure out , they are paying 4 forwards half of the Cap space for a team . Dubas is a genius though . :laugh:
They currently have 15 players under contract for next season and $9.2M in projected cap space. Probably $10.7M in space with the rise in the cap. They're gonna have to sign some guys for cheap.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If he is.
Then the 3rd is a greal deal.

Kulikov is capable player if full healthy.
Unfortunately it is not the case 80% of the time he's been here.
I agree. Kulikov can be a whipping boy around here, but he is a good 3rd pairing D. He would make almost any NHL roster. As for Demelo, I think many fans here will be surprised how good a true average NHL dman really is..............and how bad our depth d really is.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
We have all of our picks but 4 over the next three years and the 1st and 2nd rounders(the ones with a real chance of getting an NHL player from) in all of them. So I don't know where you are getting this "we don't have many picks to begin with" idea.

As many have said it's projected to be a weak draft class so the 3rd 4th and 7th round picks this year are not very valuable to begin with.

I'm confused. you say it was good value for the pick...but now you say "if he walks" it's a waste? which is it? a waste or good value?

We needed a player, IMHO just to put a team on the ice we needed someone to play the position...this gives us a good player who fills the exact hole we need today.. and could help us down the stretch and into the playoffs...and we have a good chance of signing him going forward.. I hardly call that a waste.

everybody is forgetting we lost statsny, hayes and a 1st pick....that is 3 players not in the system.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It was interesting to know that he and Beaulieu train together offseason. Makes it easier entering a new team having some familiarity. I was surprised that they played together tonight, but I think part of it is logistics. Having your 2 top unit PK defensemen playing together ensures that they have the same energy level entering the first shift. Also a good sense of positioning, which is a process, throughout the game. It's only game 1, against a clearly weaker opponent, but there were some positives in his game. He may not get a promotion until Sbisa comes back, but Poolman at least gets a chance to keep Luca out of the lineup, which would improve our overall quickness.

Reactions: GNP and hn777

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I saw a play last night. Beaulieu and DeMelo were defending a 3 on 2 rush, when Beaulieu went full Mark Stuart and took himself out of the lane to make a hit at the blue line. Oh, look - the player passed to the one in the middle, and now DeMelo has to defend a 2 on 1 now. There was no shot because DeMelo attacked the puck carrier's passing lane and grabbed the puck before it could make it across.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->