Player Discussion: Dylan DeMelo

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's a fair question but we were a bad analytical team with good defensemen last season.

Can we really expect Maurice to change the system because we added Dylan Demelo? That seems a bit outlandish to me.

Like I said, like the player, like the price would love if we could re-sign him to a nice deal. At the same time it just makes no sense to give away assets for something that can only benefit you for 20 games in a lost season.
Correction, the Jets became a bad team analytically after Buff was injured, and then Morrissey. Buff had been carrying Chiarot, and when Morrissey went down the Jets LD really struggled.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
You guys got a steal

Demelo is safe, mistake free defensive dman. Not overly physical , makes the safe smart pass and is best used in a shut down role. Not terrific offensively but not a complete black hole where he can't handle the puck .

To most Sens fans he's been our 2nd best D and has been playing like a top 4 dman.

He's a calming presence on the back end. Has been paired with Chabot lately covering up his mistakes

I wanted to sign him and preferred keeping over a 2nd for him.

This is great to know..thank you for this...

Reactions: Jets 31 and DJB

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Who is this guy?

giphy.gif

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Seems like a decent but unexciting pickup.

bad if he doesn’t re-sign though.

He is crazy un exciting but in a good way, if he plays as good for you guys as he did for us every single partner he has gets a little better and he is invisible. No great plays no monster mistakes just calm and steady. In 120+ games with the sens he is a +2. I know people don’t care about +- but he manages to not get outscored 20 minutes a night on a team that is -105 if your +2 it’s looking good.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Would be nice to deal Kulikov for a similar return...although I think Chevy still thinks we’re contending.

Any team with a ticket has a chance. Getting that bottom seed increases your chances of winning the cup to about 3-5%. Compare that to a lottery, where getting a ticket increases your chances of winning the jackpot to about 0.0000001%.

the difference between 17th and 16th is so huge it's worth a bit to take that one step.

Reactions: The Big M

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I like the price and the player, he could be a "Lee Stempniak of defense" type of impact provider for the price but hope we can re-sign him, otherwise it seems like a waste of a 3rd round pick if he's not in a Jets jersey next season.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I like the price and the player, he could be a "Lee Stempniak of defense" type of impact provider for the price but hope we can re-sign him, otherwise it seems like a waste of a 3rd round pick if he's not in a Jets jersey next season.

If he is the difference between making the playoffs and missing the playoffs, that 3rd round pick is worth a lot of revenue for True North, maybe the difference between a profit and a loss. We have been treading water with a defense that can't put a regular top 4 in. So far we have used Morrissey, Pionk, Kulikov, Heinola, Poolman, Dahlstrom, Sbisa, Niku.

What Maurice emphasized is having a RHD in the lineup. I think he wants to work on getting 2 consistent RHD in the lineup, and maybe having everyone playing on their strong side, with Sbisa the exception.

Reactions: GNP

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It would have been nice if the Jets could've picked him up a month ago, or 4 months ago. Hopefully he does well and Chevy can re-sign him!
He might of cost a 2nd round a month ago and a 1st 4 months ago . Sometimes teams don't want to trade certain players until they know they have no shot at playoffs .

Reactions: hn777

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Well my understanding DeMelo is very steady and defensively responsible, and pairs well with an offensively minded partner. He was paired with Chabot and apparently complimented him pretty well. Pionk has proven to have nice offensive side (notwithstanding the PP exposure) and the primary guy on the team to contribute this way, so it is reasonable that he and DeMelo may be fitting partners.

So not only do you want to force Pionk to play his off side, you want to continue to force a LD to play their offside? The whole point of getting DeMelo is to allow everyone to slide in much easier and more fluid. Not to continue to make it harder.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What a great pickup. Gives the boys some help for the stretch run down to the wire to chase a wildcard. He can play top 4 and will help this lineup. If we could ever convince him to stay it would be a heck of a steal. I like this player. Run this next year.
Jmo Pionk
Samberg DeMelo
Niku Poolman
Heinola may or may not slot in. They can add a Dman if they feel a need in the summer and slot Samberg down a pair.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If DeMelo, Beaulieu or Sbisa, and Samberg sign, and Samberg is ready to play next year, I’d go with:

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Beaulieu/Sbisa-Niku/Poolman/Heinola

Jets could roll with 8 d, with Heinola with the Moose, or they move Niku as he would no longer have waiver exempt status. He would have to be on the team next year.

I think you see press box guys signed for an extra year, so there are guys left to expose to Seattle, while protecting Morrissey, DeMelo (If resigned) and Pionk.

Reactions: LowLefty and hn777

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
If DeMelo, Beaulieu or Sbisa, and Samberg sign, and Samberg is ready to play next year, I’d go with:

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Beaulieu/Sbisa-Niku/Poolman/Heinola

Jets could roll with 8 d, with Heinola with the Moose, or they move Niku as he would no longer have waiver exempt status. He would have to be on the team next year.

I think you see press box guys signed for an extra year, so there are guys left to expose to Seattle, while protecting Morrissey, DeMelo (If resigned) and Pionk.

If we can resign Demelo, I would still like us to look for another solid 3/4 Dman to pair with Pionk, another Demelo type player that can be had for under 3m per.

We will have the cap space for it.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That is terrifying.

My guess would be Niku. My hope would be Kulikov. Haven't been impressed with him lately.

Note on Poolman, ignoring the one big gaff he had at the end of the first period he actually had the best metrics of any defenseman against LA last night.

Reactions: hn777

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
For a 5/6 guy a third rounder is pretty on par for value. This is exactly the kind of move Chevy needed to make. Improve the defensive depth without really giving up anything. We obviously still need a better guy but this helps.
He's a 3 / 4 on this team.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
My hope would be Kulikov. Haven't been impressed with him lately.
Agreed. He *looks* decent out there, but if you can't tie up a guy in front of your own net as a D-man, you'll end up a liability.
For that reason Kuli is "minus-a lot" in the last five games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad