Dubas opinion based on his interviews and decisions.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He's terrible because he thinks, and still thinks he can get 3 starts signed
And because he stated he wants long term deals, he's young and "full of himself"
Oh and because he kept Marincin......

If only we had Lou back then everything would be lovely

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You have no idea that's what's happening.
none of us do

but realistically isn't it obvious that without JT's cap hit we'd have more than enough cap to make MNM fairly happy as well having money left over for D ?

and i'm not saying whether or not we should have signed JT , i'm just saying signing him means tough decisions need to be made in other areas due to cap restraints

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
People here pump Dubas’ tires because they can relate to him. Never played at a high level, learned game from Xbox and reading charts, can’t evaluate using the eye test.

I am not saying this to be rude, but many posters on here have never played and only know how to evaluate using charts. That’s why Dubas is a hero to so many. That’s why so many people on here think Eliot Friedman is a great analyst. Again, not stating that as an attack to posters here, just pointing out what I see as rather obvious.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
LOL! So... where are they?

"They'd like to come"
Not "That we're going to sign"
Not "That are in our plans"

Maybe short term meant two years and they couldn't fit in our crunch year. Maybe we had no interest in the players. In no way shape or form is a statement of outside parties interest a promise that we're going to sign them.

Your illiteracy is not Dubas' failing.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
they could have done many things including signing him well before signing JT but they didn't , now it seems there plan is to squeeze MNM in hopes of having a little cap space left over to use for other needs
Seems like that's your conspiracy
theory, not "the plan".

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
"They'd like to come"
Not "That we're going to sign"
Not "That are in our plans"

Maybe short term meant two years and they couldn't fit in our crunch year. Maybe we had no interest in the players. In no way shape or form is a statement of outside parties interest a promise that we're going to sign them.

Your illiteracy is not Dubas' failing.

Well said.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Why would I hate him for being young?

He said “ I can and will sign all 3”. Thus far 0 for 3. And what was the purpose of saying this.

Maybe getting at least one signed before saying anything.

No, he did not say “I can and will...”, he indicated it was the organization’s intent to sign all three and that it was possible (Dubas rarely speaks in the first person when speaking about the team’s goals). To say ‘I’ is presenting Dubas’s intent in a fashion that supports your interpretation of his weaknesses. Further, he does not have to sign three. He said they (the Leafs), were hoping to sign all three. Understandable and desirable. However, to achieve the goal of signing all three, the logical progression demands that Nylander is signed first. When that is accomplished then you can proceed with the others. “What was the purpose?”, to state the obvious from the team’s perspective, to show your players they are valued and to indicate to the team that management is committed to winning with homegrown players...a refreshing change. As to when he says “anything”, I’ll suggest that communicating intent over things you are participating in, that everyone knows you are participating in, is not a bad thing, if you don’t hamstring yourself in the process. I don’t believe Dubas hurt the cause, he engaged it.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
none of us do

but realistically isn't it obvious that without JT's cap hit we'd have more than enough cap to make MNM fairly happy as well having money left over for D ?

We would, but that's not the objective of management. We don't need to be able to look at only the most favourable comparables and apply every concession possible to look at Nylander in the most favourable light to justify giving him as much as possibly can be justified. Management should be doing the opposite.
Regardless of JT I would hope that they had a number and are sticking to it. If not JT that money would be best spent elsewhere adding to the roster, not paying premiums for players under team control.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What's so bad about saying "we can and we will" anyway? What difference would it make if he was to be silent?

imagine he was asked:
"can you sign all 3?"
and Dubas replies:
"we will try our best"

Thread title: "Dubas lacks confidence to be a good GM & we aren't signing any of the big 3"

Terrible thread. OP chose to read into the comments too much

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Seems like that's your conspiracy
theory, not "the plan".
i guess my conspiracy theory also includes Shanny/Dubas/Babs who have all said they need/want players to take less to keep as many gud players as possible

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He's terrible because he thinks, and still thinks he can get 3 starts signed
And because he stated he wants long term deals, he's young and "full of himself"
Oh and because he kept Marincin......

If only we had Lou back then everything would be lovely

4 year deal for Komarov would have been where it was at such a good GM

Reactions: SAMCRO44

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
We would, but that's not the objective of management. We don't need to be able to look at only the most favourable comparables and apply every concession possible to look at Nylander in the most favourable light to justify giving him as much as possibly can be justified. Management should be doing the opposite.
Regardless of JT I would hope that they had a number and are sticking to it. If not JT that money would be best spent elsewhere adding to the roster, not paying premiums for players under team control.
no one said to give him the most favorable comparable but lets say we did sign him to a 7.5m x 8yr deal ,do you not believe with a rising cap he'd fairly easily be able to out perform his salary over that term ?

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Because he is speaking in absolutes. Seems silly to do so would you not think.

Today a hockey person stated they were working on a bridge deal but they were way to far apart. This is after his absolute statement that he is only looking at long term deals and made fun of people who suggested a bridge deal.

Would you prefer he cast a long shadow of doubt on proceedings and express general uncertainty of the negotiation process and vilify the player he's negotiating with like a Bergevin or Dorion?

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think Holl, Marincin and Gauthier making the final roster have been more items to cause me to pause than anything he has said. Words are cheap, actions give away more. I'm going to reserve judgment and try to restrain myself from speculating about the inner workings of the organization right now. Those 3 do not look like (to me) earned roster spots. They look like roster additions with good vibes for the new GM: a minor pro free agent auditioned by and signed by Dubas who wins an ELC then an NHL job, a maligned awkward defenseman championed as an advanced stats darling who was buried by the previous GM (and coach) and a slow developing likable draft pick made by the MLSE people who managed to survive the summer front office purge.

Reactions: hotpaws

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
no one said to give him the most favorable comparable but lets say we did sign him to a 7.5m x 8yr deal do you not believe with a rising cap he'd fairly easily be able to out perform his salary out that term ?
If Dubas does this he should be fired. Immediately.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
4 year deal for Komarov would have been where it was at such a good GM

Had Dubas signed Komarov to a 4 year 12m contract, I could see people being concerned. Losing a couple of backup goalies who cost us nothing and a couple of comments to the media doesn't concern me at all. I thought it would have been best not to say anything to the media about Nylander negotiations but not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Great article from the Star linked to earlier, thanks to whoever that was who provided the link.

Reactions: dsred

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
no one said to give him the most favorable comparable but lets say we did sign him to a 7.5m x 8yr deal do you not believe with a rising cap he'd fairly easily be able to out perform his salary out that term ?

That contract bets on him being an 9 million dollar player for years 4-8. Fairly easily is a stretch. Smart use of leverage is a bigger one.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Had Dubas signed Komarov to a 4 year 12m contract, I could see people being concerned. Losing a couple of backup goalies who cost us nothing and a couple of comments to the media doesn't concern me at all. I thought it would have been best not to say anything to the media about Nylander negotiations but not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Great article from the Star linked to earlier, thanks to whoever that was who provided the link.
I agree. It's much ado about nothing.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

Reactions: kb

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If Dubas does this he should be fired. Immediately.
if Dubas did this 95% of the posters who are saying Willie only deserves low 6's x 7/8 yrs would be on here defending his decision and saying that contract will be a steal in 2/3 yrs

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
hahahaha, he didn't even make it to the end of the off-season let alone the end of the season.

I hate the way he wears glasses... who he think he is? f***in nerd

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
if Dubas did this 95% of the posters who are saying Willie only deserves low 6's x 7/8 yrs would be on here defending his decision and saying that contract will be a steal in 2/3 yrs

Again with the projection...

If he signed that I'd be pissed that his pride led him there rather than a bridge (which would be smarter at that cap) and then invest my hope that Willy emerges as the Kucherov/ Seguin level player required to justify that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad