Dubas opinion based on his interviews and decisions.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Truth be told. Dubas is an idiot for his stupid comments. “We can and we will sign them all.”

Then “we are only looking at long term deals”.

Not a fan of him at all so far. To young and way to high of an opinion of himself.

Clearly a difference of opinions exists between coach and GM regarding Sparks.
And i hazard a guess about Marincin as well. I simply can not see Babs selecting Marincin to play for the leafs based on his play when given an opportunity.

Kyle Dubas maybe smart but he is sure looking like he is full of himself right now and Shanny needs to tell him to zip it when it comes to comments that are fixed with no flexibility as he has made this short time as our GM.

He has a lot of work to do before I will feel comfortable with him as our GM moving forward.

Too*. Be careful calling someone an idiot.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That contract bets on him being an 9 million dollar player for years 4-8. Fairly easily is a stretch. Smart use of leverage is a bigger one.
no that contract takes into account his lost wages on his next contract by signing until he's 30

regardless of how you want to break down the valuations per yr it's still comes out to 7.5m per overall against a rising cap

smart use of leverage or just being smart, the best way to get a good value deal on a player you want long term and believe will improve is to pay him a little more than he's currently worth to get him to sign long term like we did with Kadri/Rielly (hopefully also Zeitsev) who have both out performed there deals

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Nylander @$7.5M. That would mean Marner at about $8.5M and Matthews at about $10M. That means Marleau has to go next year and no Gardiner. Such are the realities of a salary cap sport. This Nylander contract is super important.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
People here pump Dubas’ tires because they can relate to him. Never played at a high level, learned game from Xbox and reading charts, can’t evaluate using the eye test.

I am not saying this to be rude, but many posters on here have never played and only know how to evaluate using charts. That’s why Dubas is a hero to so many. That’s why so many people on here think Eliot Friedman is a great analyst. Again, not stating that as an attack to posters here, just pointing out what I see as rather obvious.

“Great to see you back again, Dave”

-No one

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No, he did not say “I can and will...”, he indicated it was the organization’s intent to sign all three and that it was possible (Dubas rarely speaks in the first person when speaking about the team’s goals). To say ‘I’ is presenting Dubas’s intent in a fashion that supports your interpretation of his weaknesses. Further, he does not have to sign three. He said they (the Leafs), were hoping to sign all three. Understandable and desirable. However, to achieve the goal of signing all three, the logical progression demands that Nylander is signed first. When that is accomplished then you can proceed with the others. “What was the purpose?”, to state the obvious from the team’s perspective, to show your players they are valued and to indicate to the team that management is committed to winning with homegrown players...a refreshing change. As to when he says “anything”, I’ll suggest that communicating intent over things you are participating in, that everyone knows you are participating in, is not a bad thing, if you don’t hamstring yourself in the process. I don’t believe Dubas hurt the cause, he engaged it.
What was the need to say it the way he did in the media....

In my opinion there was no need at all to say such a thing. We all know his intent and he clearly was mocking people with this comment which is the same as when he mocked reports who suggested that he was going to sign Nylander to a bridge deal what was the purposes for this statements?

He did hamstring him self when he clearly communicated that he was going to sign Nylander to a long term deal.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Again with the projection...

If he signed that I'd be pissed that his pride led him there rather than a bridge (which would be smarter at that cap) and then invest my hope that Willy emerges as the Kucherov/ Seguin level player required to justify that contract.
projection ? lol , after 10 yrs experience on this board you can take my "projection" as reality

if you're pissed you'd be part of the 5% and even though we disagree you're actually justifying your position unlike many of the homers who are just saying stick to you guns Dude (without even knowing what he's offering) and f*** him for daring to not meekly sign whatever the great Dubas is offering

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think Holl, Marincin and Gauthier making the final roster have been more items to cause me to pause than anything he has said. Words are cheap, actions give away more. I'm going to reserve judgment and try to restrain myself from speculating about the inner workings of the organization right now. Those 3 do not look like (to me) earned roster spots. They look like roster additions with good vibes for the new GM: a minor pro free agent auditioned by and signed by Dubas who wins an ELC then an NHL job, a maligned awkward defenseman championed as an advanced stats darling who was buried by the previous GM (and coach) and a slow developing likable draft pick made by the MLSE people who managed to survive the summer front office purge.
It is very concerning.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
i guess my conspiracy theory also includes Shanny/Dubas/Babs who have all said they need/want players to take less to keep as many gud players as possible
Of course they want them to take less money, that seems beyond obvious.

The question/issue is about fitting everyone in though and you don't NEED them to take less than market value to do this, but it will impact other areas of the team (which is where the JT signing comes in).

You don't overpay anyone because you have the available funds though. That's a recipe for disaster. They would have numbers set aside for key players, which Willy is, will wait him out until the numbers align. That should be happening with or without Tavares.

Reactions: kb and 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
no that contract takes into account his lost wages on his next contract by signing until he's 30

regardless of how you want to break down the valuations per yr it's still comes out to 7.5m per against a rising cap overall

Lol disregard actually opportunity cost and the value what you're paying for, negotiate based on fear mongering outside the scope of the contract.

"Lost wages" is a purely speculative construct on your part that carries no weight. Maybe expiring older results in a slightly lesser 3rd contract, maybe expiring younger results in less net wages over the lifespan of the player due to expiring from that 3rd contract younger (but still old) and being forced out of the league younger. Too many variables.

Valuations per year are literally the basis of contracts, average cap hit is just the surface result.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Truth be told. Dubas is an idiot for his stupid comments. “We can and we will sign them all.”

Then “we are only looking at long term deals”.

Not a fan of him at all so far. To young and way to high of an opinion of himself.

Clearly a difference of opinions exists between coach and GM regarding Sparks.
And i hazard a guess about Marincin as well. I simply can not see Babs selecting Marincin to play for the leafs based on his play when given an opportunity.

Kyle Dubas maybe smart but he is sure looking like he is full of himself right now and Shanny needs to tell him to zip it when it comes to comments that are fixed with no flexibility as he has made this short time as our GM.

He has a lot of work to do before I will feel comfortable with him as our GM moving forward.
Thank god people's crappy opinions don't matter.

Reactions: kb and biotk

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Nylander @$7.5M. That would mean Marner at about $8.5M and Matthews at about $10M. That means Marleau has to go next year and no Gardiner. Such are the realities of a salary cap sport. This Nylander contract is super important.
Willie at 6.5 , Marner at 7.5 , Mathews at 10 plus still probably means Marleau has to go as well as no Gardiner .

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Hopefully Dubas can trade Nylander for a mediocre backup goalie, a 13th forward and a 7th and 8th D to put an end to the HF Leafs board panic of 2018.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
This is an awful thread. I'm really disappointed diceman, I generally agree with you but I find this reeks of 'old man yells at cloud'.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Dubas signed Tavares on July 1st.

With that act alone he has earned all the patience in the world. Considering the rumors of what Nylander's agent is asking for ($8m), I am absolutely gobsmacked that anyone is giving Dubas a hard time for how the negotiations are going.

Really, taking the OP at face value it has absolutely nothing to do with hockey at all and everything to do with comments to the media and a supposed cockiness. I really don't have a good answer to any of that other than to say that I think it's the weirdest crybaby rant about nothing that I've seen this week. Is it really that hard to imagine him saying, "We were hoping to reach a long term deal but during the process both parties found that a short term deal was in everyone's best interest"? If Dubas is utterly beholden to what he said to the media then he's not worth the socks he's wearing. Do you think his words are legally binding or something? Frankly, I'm pleased that he's communicating his intentions clearly, it's a breath of fresh air from the tight-lipped Lamoriello show. But I do not for one minute think that Dubas would even hesitate to trade Nylander today if it made the Leafs a better team.

Reactions: 1specter

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Would you prefer he cast a long shadow of doubt on proceedings and express general uncertainty of the negotiation process and vilify the player he's negotiating with like a Bergevin or Dorion?
No I prefer he lets his actions speak for themselves. He likes his own opinions a lot as he shares them when ask.

No he drew the line in the sand when he need not have. A simply we like Willy and we are working hard at getting him resign. The end. Not mocking reporters who were suggesting that a Bridge deal was the Likely solution.

Funny thing is that a Bridge deal has been discussed these past couple of days and it has been reported that they were far apart on numbers still.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think Holl, Marincin and Gauthier making the final roster have been more items to cause me to pause than anything he has said. Words are cheap, actions give away more. I'm going to reserve judgment and try to restrain myself from speculating about the inner workings of the organization right now. Those 3 do not look like (to me) earned roster spots. They look like roster additions with good vibes for the new GM: a minor pro free agent auditioned by and signed by Dubas who wins an ELC then an NHL job, a maligned awkward defenseman championed as an advanced stats darling who was buried by the previous GM (and coach) and a slow developing likable draft pick made by the MLSE people who managed to survive the summer front office purge.

Marincin (Dubas primarily) Holl (Babcock-size) Goat (Babcock-size).

They won't last long if they don't perform, don't worry. They are test subjects for sure.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Dubas signed Tavares on July 1st.

With that act alone he has earned all the patience in the world. Considering the rumors of what Nylander's agent is asking for ($8m), I am absolutely gobsmacked that anyone is giving Dubas a hard time for how the negotiations are going.

Really, taking the OP at face value it has absolutely nothing to do with hockey at all and everything to do with comments to the media and a supposed cockiness. I really don't have a good answer to any of that other than to say that I think it's the weirdest crybaby rant about nothing that I've seen this week. Is it really that hard to imagine him saying, "We were hoping to reach a long term deal but during the process both parties found that a short term deal was in everyone's best interest"? If Dubas is utterly beholden to what he said to the media then he's not worth the socks he's wearing. Do you think his words are legally binding or something? Frankly, I'm pleased that he's communicating his intentions clearly, it's a breath of fresh air from the tight-lipped Lamoriello show. But I do not for one minute think that Dubas would even hesitate to trade Nylander today if it made the Leafs a better team.
Look I find the bold statements not required at all and can not see the need for painting your self into a corner needlessly.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Willie at 6.5 , Marner at 7.5 , Mathews at 10 plus still probably means Marleau has to go as well as no Gardiner .

True. It's still critical to keep the salary down as much as possible. Otherwise the team would start losing players like Kapanen, Johnsson, Dermott, Kadri... It isn't going to be easy.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
no , i'm saying in a no JT world we wouldn't be in the position of having to try to force Willie to take less than his comparable's and he wouldn't feel that regardless of what he signs for he'll be the one out of our "core" traded and his cap space/value would be used to fill other needs

There hasn’t been a single report of the team trying to force him below his value. Every insider, rumour, expert, talking head, etc. is saying the team is offering $6-$6.5 million.

Reactions: dsred

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
True. It's still critical to keep the salary down as much as possible. Otherwise the team would start losing players like Kapanen, Johnsson, Dermott, Kadri... It isn't going to be easy.
Seattle will be more of a boost to revenue than even Vegas was. Teams should be worried when the current Rogers broadcast deal expires.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
No I prefer he lets his actions speak for themselves. He likes his own opinions a lot as he shares them when ask.

No he drew the line in the sand when he need not have. A simply we like Willy and we are working hard at getting him resign. The end. Not mocking reporters who were suggesting that a Bridge deal was the Likely solution.

Funny thing is that a Bridge deal has been discussed these past couple of days and it has been reported that they were far apart on numbers still.

IIRC he spoke out against the desirability of the bridge as a solution. Which is fair. The contract he wants (Ehlers type) is better for us than a bridge). The bridge is a fail-safe he doesn't want to use, in his words "a sub-optimal" solution.

Sometimes the only way to get things done is the sub-optimal way, but unless you're a child or blinded by ego having acknowledged your failsafe as sub-optimal doesn't take it off the table.

Reactions: Max Money and dsred

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
There hasn’t been a single report of the team trying to force him below his value. Every insider, rumour, expert, talking head, etc. is saying the team is offering $6-$6.5 million.
Yes and those same people are saying Willy is seeking 8m plus a year. Which people on here are dismissing.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
there's been many actual statements by Shanny/Dubas and most recently by Babs just the other day saying they're hoping the players takes "less" , and again these aren't rumors/speculation like what the team may be offering they're actual statements by our coach/mgmt

and the speculation/rumors of the team offering 6-6.5m without what the actual term they're also offering means nothing , at 5 yrs that offer is fair , at 8 yrs it's a low ball

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad