Dubas opinion based on his interviews and decisions.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The Good
- His interviews. Love listening to him talk. He’s very good and clearly has a plan that he’s capable of explaining
- Signing John Tavares. Duh
- Holding firm on William Nylander. It’s a critical first step for us, so he needs to take the time to ensure it’s a good deal.
- Not resigning Leo Komarov or Roman Polak
- Mostly everything else

The Bad
- Trading Connor Carrick for a 7th Round Pick rather than keeping him on the roster
- Martin Marincin on the roster
- Losing Curtis McEhlhinny and Calvin Pickard for nothing. Goaltending depth now abolished other than Andersen and then prospects.

Don't know how trading Curtis and Pickard for 6th round picks would be better. They still would be lost to the Leafs. At least by losing them on waivers, you have a chance of getting them back and being able to send them to the minors, if Carolina and Philly place them on waivers.
Was there a spot on Leafs roster for Carrick. He certainly isn't better than current six that are playing. Is he better than Marincin, Holl is the question..

Agree with your good. Strange that so many that disagree with the Leafs move, either roster or the Nylander negotiations, blame Dubas. MLSE and the Leafs executive have to discuss and move forward on their decisions collectively. Certainly Dubas isn't alone in his plan and execution as GM.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There's not much evidence that that is because of Shanahan. I think any number of executives would have had the same success if they were given the key to the vault and allowed to take one step back in order take two steps forward.

Hiring Mike Babcock wasn't a masterstroke of hockey genius, pretty much anybody off the street could have told you that he was one of the upper echelon of coaches in the league nor was getting him to come to Toronto a great recruiting job by Shanahan, he just gave him an obscene amount of money.

Beyond that, the other big "success" of the rebuild was continuing to be lousy and accumulating draft picks. Again, it's not a big masterstroke of hockey genius to finally stop trading away draft picks so I have hard time giving a ton of credit to Brendan Shanahan for that, and if you do want to give him credit for that, you have a very low bar if that's considered a "big idea."

The Leas management history 2004-2013 seems a fairly big counter argument to these claims

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
There's not much evidence that that is because of Shanahan. I think any number of executives would have had the same success if they were given the key to the vault and allowed to take one step back in order take two steps forward.

Hiring Mike Babcock wasn't a masterstroke of hockey genius, pretty much anybody off the street could have told you that he was one of the upper echelon of coaches in the league nor was getting him to come to Toronto a great recruiting job by Shanahan, he just gave him an obscene amount of money.

Beyond that, the other big "success" of the rebuild was continuing to be lousy and accumulating draft picks. Again, it's not a big masterstroke of hockey genius to finally stop trading away draft picks so I have hard time giving a ton of credit to Brendan Shanahan for that, and if you do want to give him credit for that, you have a very low bar if that's considered a "big idea."
Shanny was responsible for all the hiring the names in putting together a strong front office, he brought on board talented good hockey people, those people brought in and drafted well in Nylander, Marner and Mathews, this Franchise was in complete chaos before Shanny came on board with Burke and Nonis giving every one those big fat contracts that Lou miracuosly moved, and yes he went after Babcock.
Tell all the Babcock haters in here that anybody off the street knows he is an upper echelon coach roflmao all they do is slander the guys every move

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017

I'm unclear on why you even bother watching hockey or following management news if you have no grasp of reality.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

What would Shanahan have had to do in order to get some credit for the Leafs' turnaround?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad