Dubas opinion based on his interviews and decisions.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
it baffles me people saying that they should or shouldn't have tried to do something, as though they know what was tried. Turns out, a bottom of the barrel NHL RHD is worth a conditional 7th when he doesn't make your roster.

Historically, how does trade value of back-up goaltenders fare relative to RHD's? What is your realistic expected return there? It's pretty reasonable to assume that there were no assets forthcoming for these 2 goaltenders. The ones who claimed them did so because they have a temporary goaltending crisis and could easily end up waiving them again in a couple weeks any way.

Reactions: al secord and biotk

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yup. Backup goalies are pretty much always a crap shoot. McBackup is the worst active goalie in the NHL, yet he has had two really good seasons in a row. The chances of him posting complete garbage stats this year, are at least as good as the chances he has a third consecutive good season.

They could have done lots of things. The team looked at their options and made what they considered to be the best decision. They wouldn't have got jack in a trade. We know that because they were shopping Pickard and no one was willing to trade for him. They were willing to trade Carrick for a 7th. Just as in the case with Pickard when the Leafs got him - he would have been worth more in a trade after passing through waivers (and still would not have been much).

Yawn. It well known they were shopping Pickard and not getting any takers. So your "at a minimum get a pick for one" is pure nonsense. Backup goalies have almost no value. I love that people are panicking over a position that is so easy to fill that the Leafs picked up both McBackup and Pickard either from waivers, or after having passed through waivers. This is probably the dumbest hysteria I have ever seen in all my years of following the NHL.

You are not Babcock. Babcock has not said that he would have preferred McBackup. You are no the team. You are just talking out your ass - which is what you always do.
Talk about talking out your ass.

Babcock made his choice and it was not Sparks. Sparks is not going to be well like on this board.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It does influence on our overall ranking and whether we get the home ice advantage or not, if Sparks plays like how he has been than we will see another 60+ games season from Andersen and by the time playoffs are around he will be worn out.

I am not saying that it will happen for sure but chances are very likely.

It's also likely that Sparks graduates from the Marlies, into a full time NHLer, like almost every single graduate before him:

Nylander, Kapanen, Brown, Johnsson, Dermott, etc.

Im not sure why those guys joining the lineup was so celebrated, but Sparks joining, so slated.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
It's also likely that Sparks graduates from the Marlies, into a full time NHLer, like almost every single graduate before him:

Nylander, Kapanen, Brown, Johnsson, Dermott, etc.

Im not sure why those guys joining the lineup was so celebrated, but Sparks joining, so slated.
You mean like Percy, Biggs, Neilsson, Broll, Levio, Robertson, Everson and Cameranesi all of Sparks Fellow 2011 Leafs draft picks!

Reactions: The Best Leafs Ever

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
So our new GM goes out and makes the biggest FA acquisition of last decade, an acquisition that directly points towards how impressed he was with Dubas' sales pitch as one of the reasons he chose to sign, and OP dislikes him because of some arguably suboptimal comments to media?

This place needs hockey. Between this, the outrage over losing a career bottom-of-the-barrel backup, and the vitriol against Willy over the contract negotiations, this place has turned insane.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Maybe I am old and prefer actions speaking for themselves and allowing those actions speak for themselves.

Simply say nothing. “ so Kyle after signing JT some think that you can not sign the other big 3? “. Kyle “ we are going to work towards signing all of our key players and we will announce each signing as we complete each negotiation.” Or maybe say I will not discuss or answer any question about contract negotiations.

I see no need to speak in absolutes.

I am not a fan of his at this point based on decisions as well as comments thus far. Hopefully he gets better with his comments and his decisions do not hurt us moving forward. I will always give a player or GM etc credit when credit is due.

I seldom make topic posts and today my frustration got the better of me.

This just seems like such a minor thing to nitpick at.

I consider the fact that in a lot Dubas' interviews he manages to say a lot without saying anything at the same time - similar to how Lou addressed the media. I'm not going to hold one interview when he makes one bold claim over his head.

Just me though.

Reactions: Liminality

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Personally I think his "we can and we will" statement was the perfect statement at the perfect time. It shut up all these "experts" that think we can't sign all our talent. These same dunderheads are pointing at Nylander holding out as proof positive that this is the case, when a bit of critical thinking shows that it's not at all.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Congrats on taking the late lead for dumbest thread of the year.

Stay tuned to see how heybuddyhowyadoing responds.
I laughed way harder at that than I should have....

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Maybe I am old and prefer actions speaking for themselves and allowing those actions speak for themselves.

Simply say nothing. “ so Kyle after signing JT some think that you can not sign the other big 3? “. Kyle “ we are going to work towards signing all of our key players and we will announce each signing as we complete each negotiation.” Or maybe say I will not discuss or answer any question about contract negotiations.

I see no need to speak in absolutes.

I am not a fan of his at this point based on decisions as well as comments thus far. Hopefully he gets better with his comments and his decisions do not hurt us moving forward. I will always give a player or GM etc credit when credit is due.

I seldom make topic posts and today my frustration got the better of me.
This is not a good look. Because this is out there, and then WHEN all 3 get signed, how do you think this look in hindsight? It looks petulant frankly, like a little kid jumping up and down in a mud puddle because he didn't do things YOUR way.

There is every chance to believe that what you suggest doing is totally wrong.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Personally I think his "we can and we will" statement was the perfect statement at the perfect time. It shut up all these "experts" that think we can't sign all our talent. These same dunderheads are pointing at Nylander holding out as proof positive that this is the case, when a bit of critical thinking shows that it's not at all.

it shut no one up and the so called insiders didn't say they couldn't sign MNM after signing JT , they said after signing them it wouldn't leave much cap to fill out the rest of the roster

and what critical thinking needs to be done to realize Willie not being signed yet is a direct consequence of the team trying to squeeze the player due to how much cap acquiring JT used up ?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Seriously you do not think we could have put Marincin on waivers and kept 3 goalies around for a while would not have been a better decision. We did not have to lose 2 goalies for nothing at all.

That was my first thought too but having digested it for a bit, I don't think keeping 3 goalies would have been a good idea. The plan I assume would have been to keep the 3rd guy as an insurance policy in case Sparks didn't work out. The problem is that is sends a message to Sparks that we have no confidence in him. There's also the fact that the backup only plays a couple of times a month so assuming Sparks needs more than just 5-6 games before we would give up on him, we're basically keeping that 3rd goalie sitting around doing nothing and taking up a roster spot for several months.

If we need to find another backup at some point I'm sure we'll be able to do so without too much difficulty.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Boy wonder also stated that several FAs were going to take paycuts/ short term deals to come play in Toronto.. so where are they?

He is arrogant just like his handler Shanny.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Seems like he is bull****ting to the fan base that's all.

His comments more like the stuff that comes out of the legislature at Queens Park than anywhere else.

This is the worst contract dispute the Maple Leafs have since ...

I don't remember. Not many people here will remember either. There probably is no equivalent in a long time.

Yet here is Dubie giving us the fans the spin like a politician.
Do you know what? You are right. Call him up and tell him to pay Nylander what he wants so his "optics look better". Every GM sounds like that if you'd bother to listen to them.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
These are all fine "addressing the media" stances.
In reality though, I hope Dubas is always open to viewing every scenario.
(I think he is so far).

5 years, 7 years, 10 years is a long time.
Many things can happen. Just because you are keeping player (players) X today, doesn't mean at some point someone won't (shouldn't) be moved.
Washington toiled for 10 years of Ovi before they won the Cup. The roster and talent that started wasn't all the talent that finished.

Look at the Leafs. 6 years ago it was crazy talk to suggest Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, whatever would be traded.
All gone.
I believe we will get everyone signed but that doesn't mean at some point the combination of 4 needs to be shifted to an area that is severely lacking. Right now our balance on D is not where it needs to be. So can we get Gardiner signed? Can we add a serious D upgrade? Will we still have money to add players like Tampa has been able to? Things change.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That was my first thought too but having digested it for a bit, I don't think keeping 3 goalies would have been a good idea. The plan I assume would have been to keep the 3rd guy as an insurance policy in case Sparks didn't work out. The problem is that is sends a message to Sparks that we have no confidence in him. There's also the fact that the backup only plays a couple of times a month so assuming Sparks needs more than just 5-6 games before we would give up on him, we're basically keeping that 3rd goalie sitting around doing nothing and taking up a roster spot for several months.

If we need to find another backup at some point I'm sure we'll be able to do so without too much difficulty.
Two things by sending them both through waivers at the same time you gave your self no options If he would have sent down Pickard 10 days ago as we did not play him anyways he may have cleared or at least they would have known that he was claimed and possibly took a different tack.

Next is the bigger issue they will now have to pay to get a back up if Sparks can not do the job and at a cost and then put Sparks on waivers as well. There’s no guarantee that we get a competent back up on the trade market when we go shopping as well.,

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
and what critical thinking needs to be done to realize Willie not being signed yet is a direct consequence of the team trying to squeeze the player due to how much cap acquiring JT used up ?

So what you're saying (in a no Tavares world) is that you would have been an advocate for giving Willy whatever he wanted and not trying to save money to ice the best team possible?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
it shut no one up and the so called insiders didn't say they couldn't sign MNM after signing JT , they said after signing them it wouldn't leave much cap to fill out the rest of the roster

The JT signing shouldn't have anything to do with Nylander. They knew he was an RFA and they knew the comparables. They should have gone in to the offseason with a number in mind regardless of the JT signing.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So what you're saying (in a no Tavares world) is that you would have been an advocate for giving Willy whatever he wanted and not trying to save money to ice the best team possible?
no , i'm saying in a no JT world we wouldn't be in the position of having to try to force Willie to take less than his comparable's and he wouldn't feel that regardless of what he signs for he'll be the one out of our "core" traded and his cap space/value would be used to fill other needs

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Boy wonder also stated that several FAs were going to take paycuts/ short term deals to come play in Toronto.. so where are they?

Life must be a terrifying and confusing adventure when you can't comprehend the meaning of what people say.

"We’ve already had some veteran players who were seeking longer term deals that are saying they’d like to come here on the short term"

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
no , i'm saying in a no JT world we wouldn't be in the position of having to try to force Willie to take less than his comparable's and he wouldn't feel that regardless of what he signs for he'll be the one out of our "core" traded and his cap space/value would be used to fill other needs

You have no idea that's what's happening.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The JT signing shouldn't have anything to do with Nylander. They knew he was an RFA and they knew the comparables. They should have gone in to the offseason with a number in mind regardless of the JT signing.
they could have done many things including signing him well before signing JT but they didn't , now it seems there plan is to squeeze MNM in hopes of having a little cap space left over to use for other needs

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Life must be a terrifying and confusing adventure when you can't comprehend the meaning of what people say.

"We’ve already had some veteran players who were seeking longer term deals that are saying they’d like to come here on the short term"

LOL! So... where are they?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
today-brought-to-you-by-wtf.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad