Dubas opinion based on his interviews and decisions.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
IIRC he spoke out against the desirability of the bridge as a solution. Which is fair. The contract he wants (Ehlers type) is better for us than a bridge). The bridge is a fail-safe he doesn't want to use, in his words "a sub-optimal" solution.

Sometimes the only way to get things done is the sub-optimal way, but unless you're a child or blinded by ego having acknowledged your failsafe as sub-optimal doesn't take it off the table.
The fact that he mocked the individuals who suggested that a Bridge deal was the solution does what?

This is my issue with him.

Either way I stand by my opinion that he needs to stop with statements of absolute.

He should have left his comments as to the length of the deal to the negotiation table only.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
There is not any inside info. And these so called experts are just making stuff up since no info has leaked. We dont know how far apart the two camps are or over what.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
What was the need to say it the way he did in the media....

In my opinion there was no need at all to say such a thing. We all know his intent and he clearly was mocking people with this comment which is the same as when he mocked reports who suggested that he was going to sign Nylander to a bridge deal what was the purposes for this statements?

He did hamstring him self when he clearly communicated that he was going to sign Nylander to a long term deal.

Mocking? We’ve obviously different interpretations of the word. That he stated intent, yes, that it contradicted the idea of a bridge, yes, that his tone was demeaning - thus mocking - no.

He clearly communicated the intent of signing Nylander to a long term deal. That the organization preferred a LT deal. To the best of my knowledge he ever stated that 100% was it going to be a long term deal. Therefore, not hamstrung.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The fact that he mocked the individuals who suggested that a Bridge deal was the solution does what?

Either way I stand by my opinion that he needs to stop with statements of absolute.

He should have left his comments as to the length of the deal to the negotiation table only.
Ah, so just because you your self promoted the idea of a bridge deal and Dubas shot that down as silly when asked by a reporter you feel you got your feelings indirectly trampled on by Dubas?

Rest assure that Dubas know what he is doing and you are still able to think what you want seeing as it really means nothing. Dont take everything so personal.

Reactions: 4thline

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
These are all fine "addressing the media" stances.
In reality though, I hope Dubas is always open to viewing every scenario.
(I think he is so far).

5 years, 7 years, 10 years is a long time.
Many things can happen. Just because you are keeping player (players) X today, doesn't mean at some point someone won't (shouldn't) be moved.
Washington toiled for 10 years of Ovi before they won the Cup. The roster and talent that started wasn't all the talent that finished.

Look at the Leafs. 6 years ago it was crazy talk to suggest Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, whatever would be traded.
All gone.
I believe we will get everyone signed but that doesn't mean at some point the combination of 4 needs to be shifted to an area that is severely lacking. Right now our balance on D is not where it needs to be. So can we get Gardiner signed? Can we add a serious D upgrade? Will we still have money to add players like Tampa has been able to? Things change.

Yep, in a few years (and hopefully a Cup or two), we'll have to look at moving one or more of the top guys.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Fire Dubas!

fuhdat hang him hang him high
WsC4R.png

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

A bridge is a solution, not the solution. He spoke against the idea that it was the solution. What does that do? Not much unless you're reasonably insecure and thought that a bridge was the solution.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
There is not any inside info. And these so called experts are just making stuff up since no info has leaked. We dont know how far apart the two camps are or over what.
That is simply not true. On sports net yesterday on hockey at noon. Mac said that there were working on a bridge deal the last 3 days or so and they were far apart.

The info is out there. This is not a Lou ran team.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Seriously you do not think we could have put Marincin on waivers and kept 3 goalies around for a while would not have been a better decision. We did not have to lose 2 goalies for nothing at all.
eventually it would have happened one way or another

neither Carrick, Picksy or McBackup or any combination of those three are the final piece that win the Leafs a cup

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Look I find the bold statements not required at all and can not see the need for painting your self into a corner needlessly.

He's not painting himself into a corner at all unless his words are legally binding. He doesn't have to follow them at all, he's not beholden to anyone but Shanahan. He can easily say that he wants a long term deal and then sign a bridge or trade him 15 minutes later. The corner that he's "painting himself into" is entirely in your head.

As for the bold statements, he's communicating his intentions, not his only course of action. No, they're not required but they do exactly zero damage. Plans and intentions are great but we all know that they can change in the blink of an eye for any reason. The only thing that happens if he changes his mind is that a bunch of jabbering goons on the mains make threads about how he's a liar, which means exactly squat. Statements of intent are nothing more than telling the media and fans what he wants to do, not what he will do and there are zero consequences for doing something different.

Reactions: dsred and IBeL34f

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
eventually it would have happened one way or another

neither Carrick, Picksy or McBackup or any combination of those three are the final piece that win the Leafs a cup

It's water under the bridge but with knowledge of what happened I'd have preferred if the Leafs had kept a 3rd goalie with Sparks as insurance against Sparks' performance. But of course what kind of vote of confidence would that have been for Sparks? I wouldn't have guessed that both Pickard and McElhinney would be claimed. There was just a perfect storm of short term need in Carolina and Philly.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have made my opinion and my points. I do not hate Dubas but I am concerned that he is more concerned about his image then the well being of the leafs st this point. Asserting his authority over Babcock on player selection and imposing players on the roster who have been tested and found wanting is a major concern along with the comments I have discussed.

Keeping the goat, Marincin, Holl and Sparks and letting go Carrick and both Goalies. Carrick like him or not was a good depth player to have as you can never have enough depth. If he got rid of Carrick because he did not think Babs was going to play him then kept players who Babs has not played as well seems silly. He was the person who wanted Marincin as it was at his recommendation that we picked him up. Babs tried him out and gave him several chances but does not appear to like him but here he is on the roster.

If this is not a concern for you moving forward then fine that is your opinion. To me it is a huge issue as we are now a very good team and we need everyone on the same page.

I am done for now. So if I do not respond to your quote of my post it is because I have already answered your opinion in another reply.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
there's a game tonight, a game that toronto should and needs to win, let's get positive and leave the negatives behind ok!

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
So our new GM goes out and makes the biggest FA acquisition of last decade, an acquisition that directly points towards how impressed he was with Dubas' sales pitch as one of the reasons he chose to sign, and OP dislikes him because of some arguably suboptimal comments to media?

This place needs hockey. Between this, the outrage over losing a career bottom-of-the-barrel backup, and the vitriol against Willy over the contract negotiations, this place has turned insane.

Amen. Absolute insanity .

Reactions: Liminality

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Here's something I really should know the answer to but don't:

Does the CBA required NHL teams to have full 23 man rosters if they have the cap space?

If the answer is yes: then it doesn't really matter who isn't in the lineup as long as they're cheap. Players can always be recalled.

If the answer is no: I don't see what use Marincin and Holl serve other than bodies at practice. If Rielly or Gardiner or Dermott get injured for any extended period, I bet that Rosen or Borgman would be recalled. We're only going to see Marincin and Holl if a right side guy goes down (Marincin plays both sides).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Truth be told. Dubas is an idiot for his stupid comments. “We can and we will sign them all.”

Then “we are only looking at long term deals”.

Not a fan of him at all so far. To young and way to high of an opinion of himself.

Clearly a difference of opinions exists between coach and GM regarding Sparks.
And i hazard a guess about Marincin as well. I simply can not see Babs selecting Marincin to play for the leafs based on his play when given an opportunity.

Kyle Dubas maybe smart but he is sure looking like he is full of himself right now and Shanny needs to tell him to zip it when it comes to comments that are fixed with no flexibility as he has made this short time as our GM.

He has a lot of work to do before I will feel comfortable with him as our GM moving forward.

As I stated previously I think this is more about inexperience than self conceit.

Dubas comes across as humble very different than Brian Burke type belligerent conceited of the past GM.

To me he comes across simply as young, naive and optimistic and I use his age and his inexperience as this point but he has lots of potential and I like him as a person.

He is like a high draft pick given the GM job on potential but still not fully developed to his max potential. Time and more experience will do that.

PS. I had hoped Lou Lam and his 30 years of experience would have been used to get the 3 Amigo's signed long-term first and then the reigns turned over to the young pup to take over from there.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

Splitting hairs.

A person says there is no objective truth without realizing that the statement made is a claim of objective truth.

Same thing: “Kyle Dubai speaks in statements of absolutes” is itself a statement claiming an absolute.

I don’t see anything wrong with objective truth claims anymore than I see anything wrong with Dubas’ confidence and optimism conveyed in the managerial process that he and Pridham and Gilman represent when tasked with justifying the club’s business decisions.

Like retaining Sparks over McElhinney for obvious reasons, it shouldn’t have to be explained why taking a demure posture during contract negotiations with a young RFA talent like William Nylander is the wrong message to send to him or the league.

Moreover, Dubas hasn’t played his hand and hadn’t negotiated through the media.

Responding to and clarifying situations, possible or otherwise, against leading questions isn’t the mark of a careless manager.

There are pieces of statements that could be construed that Dubas claimed constitute similarly over-confident representations about presenting Toronto as the best choice Tavares could make prior to Tavares’ confirmation. That process yielded Tavares.

I have confidence in Dubas because the process demands it, irrespective of the exactitude with which he or Pridham or Gilman or Babcock or Shanahan describe pending situations.

Situations that do not bear on one another but which have been made to appear so. Like, choosing Sparks over McElhinney as something indicative of Dubas’ negotiations with Nylander.

I suppose learning to have faith in the process will be an ongoing process for some of us. I hesitate to add, for some of us, it, the process, will never matter, because their support and participation never matured past the perception that being a Leafs fan meant constant inner irritation justified by inept management.

Like soldiers stranded long after the end of a war that are discovered and informed that it’s over, we’re a fan base learning to trust <gasp> management.

The revelation is, we have every reason to do so. Finally. And yes, I mean that in an absolute sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nithoniniel

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
As I stated previously I think this is more about inexperience than self conceit.

Dubas comes across as humble very different than Brian Burke type belligerent conceited of the past GM.

To me he comes across simply as young, naive and optimistic and I use his age and his inexperience as this point but he has lots of potential and I like him as a person.

He is like a high draft pick given the GM job on potential but still not fully developed to his max potential. Time and more experience will do that.

PS. I had hoped Lou Lam and his 30 years of experience would have been used to get the 3 Amigo's signed long-term first and then the reigns turned over to the young pup to take over from there.
Lou's signing of Marleau, along with his questionable signings as NYI G.M., leaves me to believe we're in better hands with Dubas, to be quite honest.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Here's something I really should know the answer to but don't:

Does the CBA required NHL teams to have full 23 man rosters if they have the cap space?

If the answer is yes: then it doesn't really matter who isn't in the lineup as long as they're cheap. Players can always be recalled.

If the answer is no: I don't see what use Marincin and Holl serve other than bodies at practice. If Rielly or Gardiner or Dermott get injured for any extended period, I bet that Rosen or Borgman would be recalled. We're only going to see Marincin and Holl if a right side guy goes down (Marincin plays both sides).
The answer is no you do not need to have 23 players that is the maximum you can carry on your active roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad