Dubas opinion based on his interviews and decisions.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Truth be told. Dubas is an idiot for his stupid comments. “We can and we will sign them all.”

Then “we are only looking at long term deals”.

Not a fan of him at all so far. To young and way to high of an opinion of himself.

Clearly a difference of opinions exists between coach and GM regarding Sparks.
And i hazard a guess about Marincin as well. I simply can not see Babs selecting Marincin to play for the leafs based on his play when given an opportunity.

Kyle Dubas maybe smart but he is sure looking like he is full of himself right now and Shanny needs to tell him to zip it when it comes to comments that are fixed with no flexibility as he has made this short time as our GM.

He has a lot of work to do before I will feel comfortable with him as our GM moving forward.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I was impressed with what he did for the marlies.
I was impressed with him getting Tavares to sign here...(although considering how many peices we may lose now because of that...I may change my mind)
I am glad he isn't caving in to Nylander

I am not impressed with pushing Sparks into the back up role considering we had one of the best back up in the league.

So far he's done well enough. If Sparks pans out (doubtful) and we end up in the same position in backup as what we had just lost...I'll shut my mouth on the subject. Although I still say the risk wasn't worth it.

Reactions: HR Pickens and kb

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
sigh.

j2AXPLU.gif

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
before i comment.
why are these comments stupid, and why is he an idiot for saying it?
Because he is speaking in absolutes. Seems silly to do so would you not think.

Today a hockey person stated they were working on a bridge deal but they were way to far apart. This is after his absolute statement that he is only looking at long term deals and made fun of people who suggested a bridge deal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Good
- His interviews. Love listening to him talk. He’s very good and clearly has a plan that he’s capable of explaining
- Signing John Tavares. Duh
- Holding firm on William Nylander. It’s a critical first step for us, so he needs to take the time to ensure it’s a good deal.
- Not resigning Leo Komarov or Roman Polak
- Mostly everything else

The Bad
- Trading Connor Carrick for a 7th Round Pick rather than keeping him on the roster
- Martin Marincin on the roster
- Losing Curtis McEhlhinny and Calvin Pickard for nothing. Goaltending depth now abolished other than Andersen and then prospects.

Reactions: HR Pickens and kb

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Yeah this thread is a mess, and likely doesnt go over well.

Far more pros than cons.

I will still go to bat for Dubas at this point because the dust still has yet to settle.

Lots of Vet Free Agent goalies out there capable of starting for the Marlies and waiting for an opportunity. Im sure hes looking at that solution right now.

I applaud him for keeping who he saw as the highest potential goaltender and not waivering.

I applaud him for moving Carrick to a spot where he may play when neither him or Babcock felt like it would be here.

Marincin is a place holder until Nylander is signed and then likely waived. We need players like Marincin and Holl to be professional fringe guys on cheap contracts to work hard and keep that press box filled, all while not being stunted in development without real game time. Very much like we saw with Franky C.

Hes playing Chess out there while youre playing checkers.

I also dont see why your opinion deserved its own thread? You have made it abundantly clear in two seperate threads your thoughts on both of these matters.

Last edited:

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Truth be told. Dubas is an idiot for his stupid comments. “We can and we will sign them all.”

Then “we are only looking at long term deals”.

Not a fan of him at all so far. To young and way to high of an opinion of himself.

Clearly a difference of opinions exists between coach and GM regarding Sparks.
And i hazard a guess about Marincin as well. I simply can not see Babs selecting Marincin to play for the leafs based on his play when given an opportunity.

Kyle Dubas maybe smart but he is sure looking like he is full of himself right now and Shanny needs to tell him to zip it when it comes to comments that are fixed with no flexibility as he has made this short time as our GM.

He has a lot of work to do before I will feel comfortable with him as our GM moving forward.

Marincin is here because Borgman and Rosen were both waiver exempt and he wasn't. Keep in mind that Sandin is probably next in line after Borgman and Rosen on the left side. Liljegren is behind Holl on the right side.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Today a hockey person stated they were working on a bridge deal but they were way to far apart. This is after his absolute statement that he is only looking at long term deals and made fun of people who suggested a bridge deal.

i just wanted to know your view that's all. :)

i would assume -(or strongly hope) that the comments that were made were made to prevent offer sheets and i know they are rare, but i could see why from his pov, people would want to tempt fate and see what the rookie gm would do. I personally don't see him wrong in him being absolute. from his end of things, they can and will and they can and most likely will), and while you know I'm all about bridging people, and that's the standard I'd have for everyone not named Matthews, mcDavid etc (and quite frankly, i'd bridge them too, because what's good for goose is good for gander, anyhoo), I don't thin it's necessarily wrong for him to say that he wants long term deals

with that being said I don't think i like the fact he needs to Brian Burke on the scale of everything. we don't need to know this. You don't have to announce everything. it's sort of like there is a cone of silence - but there is air leaking from the top because we're getting snippits that we never use to get. which is good to debate, but i don't like it.

other than Tavares and that was a lot of good will to his end, he still hasn't done a lot to make me feel he was the best choice for this job, and while i am and always team Shanahan, it still irritates me that he didn't look outside the organization. and Decisions like keeping sparks, holl and marincin - are reasons why. quite frankly, i am all about being ruthless. Ruthless prevents you from making Dean Lombardi dumbo decisions.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The Good
- His interviews. Love listening to him talk. He’s very good and clearly has a plan that he’s capable of explaining
- Signing John Tavares. Duh
- Holding firm on William Nylander. It’s a critical first step for us, so he needs to take the time to ensure it’s a good deal.
- Not resigning Leo Komarov or Roman Polak
- Mostly everything else

The Bad
- Trading Connor Carrick for a 7th Round Pick rather than keeping him on the roster
- Martin Marincin on the roster
- Losing Curtis McEhlhinny and Calvin Pickard for nothing. Goaltending depth now abolished other than Andersen and then prospects.

You do understand that the leafs were going to lose 2 goalies on waivers no matter what unless they kept 3 on the team.

Carrick stunk in camp and you can't have a guy earning $1.3M sitting in the press box.

Marincin probably won't play. He's a placeholder.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think you’re making a mountain over a molehill regarding his statements. A one off comment during an interview is hardly a doctrine edged in stone.

And coaches don’t get to make those types of decisions - that’s why we have a separation of powers between them and the GM. If a GM blindly does whatever the coach wants you have a dysfunctional organization. Not to mention how do you know Babcock would have preferred Carrick over Marincin?

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

Who says they’re working on a bridge deal? There haven’t been any contract updates today that I have seen.

He also never said a bridge deal absolutely wasn’t going to happen. He said it wasn’t what either party wanted.

Reactions: kb

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think you’re making a mountain over a molehill regarding his statements. A one off comment during an interview is hardly a doctrine edged in stone.

And coaches don’t get to make those types of decisions - that’s why we have a separation of powers between them and the GM. If a GM blindly does whatever the coach wants you have a dysfunctional organization. Not to mention how do you know Babcock would have preferred Carrick over Marincin?
Where did I say Babcock had a preference between Carrick and Marincin. I simply said I can not see Babcock chosen Marincin as part of our 23 player roster.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
And, if Babcock's team loses a single game this season, FIRE HIM! :sarcasm:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Who says they’re working on a bridge deal? There haven’t been any contract updates today that I have seen.

He also never said a bridge deal absolutely wasn’t going to happen. He said it wasn’t what either party wanted.
He laughed at the reporters who were suggesting a bridge deal. Then said we are only working towards a long term deal etc. He spoke in absolutes which is my point. Sure seems silly to say anything other then we are having on going talks the end!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Dubas hasn't really been proven wrong yet about signing them all. Nylander hasn't signed, but that doesn't mean he ultimately won't. My hope was he'd be starting the season, but I don't think this falls apart without him in the meantime. For me, long term is the upper half of the contract limit (five to eight years). Others may have a different range. Given good health on the blueline, Marincin might be little more than a spare D; if so, that shouldn't be a big deal. Hopefully the backup situation doesn't prove problematic as that's a bigger deal. Will have to see how that plays out.

Expectations are increasing and that will make for a nerve wracking experience at times. Too early to assess most of the moves, IMO only.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You do understand that the leafs were going to lose 2 goalies on waivers no matter what unless they kept 3 on the team.

Carrick stunk in camp and you can't have a guy earning $1.3M sitting in the press box.

Marincin probably won't play. He's a placeholder.
Seriously you do not think we could have put Marincin on waivers and kept 3 goalies around for a while would not have been a better decision. We did not have to lose 2 goalies for nothing at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad