Dubas opinion based on his interviews and decisions.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Seriously you do not think we could have put Marincin on waivers and kept 3 goalies around for a while would not have been a better decision. We did not have to lose 2 goalies for nothing at all.

No, I don't think it would have been a better decision. 3 goalies are a gong show. The Leafs have bet on Sparks. If he sucks then then acquire another backup goalie cheaply.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
No, I don't think it would have been a better decision. 3 goalies are a gong show. The Leafs have bet on Sparks. If he sucks then then acquire another backup goalie cheaply.
So we go to the goalie shop and pick up a back up and hope for the best. We could have traded one of them and kept the one we did not trade. We simply put two goalies on waivers on the same day not given us a chance of doing so days earlier and allowing us to keep some depth or at a minimum get a pick for one. As well as keeping the goalie his coach wanted to keep and who the team trusted.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The Bad
- Trading Connor Carrick for a 7th Round Pick rather than keeping him on the roster
- Martin Marincin on the roster
- Losing Curtis McEhlhinny and Calvin Pickard for nothing. Goaltending depth now abolished other than Andersen and then prospects.

I personally don't think any of those are bad.
- Carrick - I hope that the days of sitting a young player in the press box for multiple seasons who could make other NHL lineups (Leivo) are gone. Dubas has said they are. Carrick sat a ton last year. This year he wasn't good enough to make the lineup. The team assessed that a regular spot was not in his future and respected the player enough to find another team where he would have a better shot. Treating players with respect goes a long way.
-Marincin - Everyone knows that Marincin sucks. But he played very well in the AHL last year. Giving him another shot is more than fair. Will he make anything out of it? Unlikely. Out of Borgman, Rosen, Holl and Marincin - who do I think would benefit the most from playing minutes in the AHL rather than being spares for the Leafs - Borgman and Rosen. Easy decision. Unlike with Carrick, I doubt there are other NHL teams that are interested in Marincin.
-The goalies. Putting two on waivers was their best shot at getting one through. It didn't work out. Chances are pretty decent at least one will be back on waivers in the near future. Sparks was better than Pickard in the AHL. McBackup is due to for regression to the mean. I think that betting on the Sparks, knowing that backup goalies are both cheap and easy to obtain was the correct decision.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Yeah Dice what's he supposed to say? Our cap situation is screwed and signing JT was a mistake? Not having Nylander signed yet is not abnormal looking at his agent's history with other young talented RFAs.

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
So we go to the goalie shop and pick up a back up and hope for the best.

Yup. Backup goalies are pretty much always a crap shoot. McBackup is the worst active goalie in the NHL, yet he has had two really good seasons in a row. The chances of him posting complete garbage stats this year, are at least as good as the chances he has a third consecutive good season.

We could have traded one of them and kept the one we did not trade.

They could have done lots of things. The team looked at their options and made what they considered to be the best decision. They wouldn't have got jack in a trade. We know that because they were shopping Pickard and no one was willing to trade for him. They were willing to trade Carrick for a 7th. Just as in the case with Pickard when the Leafs got him - he would have been worth more in a trade after passing through waivers (and still would not have been much).

We simply put two goalies on waivers on the same day not given us a chance of doing so days earlier and allowing us to keep some depth or at a minimum get a pick for one.

Yawn. It well known they were shopping Pickard and not getting any takers. So your "at a minimum get a pick for one" is pure nonsense. Backup goalies have almost no value. I love that people are panicking over a position that is so easy to fill that the Leafs picked up both McBackup and Pickard either from waivers, or after having passed through waivers. This is probably the dumbest hysteria I have ever seen in all my years of following the NHL.

As well as keeping the goalie his coach wanted to keep and who the team trusted.

You are not Babcock. Babcock has not said that he would have preferred McBackup. You are no the team. You are just talking out your ass - which is what you always do.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
before i comment.
why are these comments stupid, and why is he an idiot for saying it?
Seems like he is bullshitting to the fan base that's all.

His comments more like the stuff that comes out of the legislature at Queens Park than anywhere else.

This is the worst contract dispute the Maple Leafs have since ...

I don't remember. Not many people here will remember either. There probably is no equivalent in a long time.

Yet here is Dubie giving us the fans the spin like a politician.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Well he had to pull Chayka out of his arse sooner or later, didn’t he? Well, hopefully this will bring him down back on earth from cloud nine he was on prior to this week.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
So we go to the goalie shop and pick up a back up and hope for the best. We could have traded one of them and kept the one we did not trade. We simply put two goalies on waivers on the same day not given us a chance of doing so days earlier and allowing us to keep some depth or at a minimum get a pick for one. As well as keeping the goalie his coach wanted to keep and who the team trusted.
Exactly.

I suspect that people who follow analytics really do not know anything about pro sports. The analytics is a different view. Just because it is different does not mean it is valid.

Coach Bill Parcels use to say that the last five guys on the roster, took almost all his time in deciding. Because those last five guys can win or lose a game or two over the course of a season.

The truth is more basic, those last five guys going to lose you the game than win you the game.

Malcom Butler. The Superbowl hero. He was not even a starter. But he remember that play in practice, and once he saw that formation, he jumped the route. Butler was not even a starter. He was next year before they rid of him because he was no good. But being one of those last five guys on the roster, he had intangibles the coaches like. He was the team's 4th CB, but he had a better game than Seattle's 4th CB, and that was the difference. Seattle could have handed the ball off to Marshwan Lynch, but the lost the game throwing the ball to their 3rd best wide out.

Look no further than Martin Maricin, one of those last 5 guys, yet his stats are good according to some.

When the Leafs needed a win, they turned to MacHeillney, when the starter got hurt on that Saturday in Toronto. He came through. Polak was huge. The Leafs and made the playoffs.

He came through in the clutch and Dubas got rid of him, for what?

So he can watch his own choosen last five guys to blow the game?

Babcock did not like this decision, but he is smart enough to pick his battles.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Keeping Mac up with the big team means we lose Pickard this year and Sparks has to clear waivers.

Choosing Sparks, who has been with the organization for seven years and played 150+ AHL games, over Mac who is a decade older and with one year left and a season that would be extremely hard to replicate, seems to me like the forward-thinking way to handle the situation.

Something happens and we go to waivers where we first got Mac anyways or offer a meager package of futures like we did for Pickard.

You don't cave to young players on their first deals. Willy has had a tremendous first two seasons but he also has questions; is he a C or a W? How much does he gain by Matthews and vice versa? Can he score more goals? Can he keep his intensity up?

Willy is going to start losing money today, as much as I'd love to see him sign on October 27 or something and get us some cap savings in future years, he signs a deal at either 7x8 or 6.75x6/7 today and I'm happier.

Getting John Tavares is getting John f***ing Tavares, man. Part of me is beginning to think getting him was a hedge against something like what's happening with Willy now, but still, JOHN TAVARES!

Carrick was a good soldier and a good interview, but the saddest thing is that he isn't 6'2 205 because we would have had a place for him. I think he can make it in his league in a specific role but just not with us, it's the 1.3 salary that made the pick bad.

Losing a depth D is not a headache. We are short on RD which everyone knows, but short a top RD; we had Zaitsev, Holl, Carrick and Oz with Liljegren in the pipe. We have RD depth, what we don't have is a second top four RD, while having two potentially three top four LD.

Next year we have an extra 4th and an extra 6th/7th. Always be drafting.

I think the Matthews and Marner camps have agreed on top end numbers and had rudimentary discussions on it (Marner 8-9, Matthews 10.5-11.5) and we have a year to make it work. Once those happen it's sink or swim to anyone else in the organization, internal competition is good.

He's a very well spoken and articulate person who clearly has a vision for the team - he's not just pulling stuff out of his ass. He's much better than what we've had before he got here.

Last edited:
Reactions: tokiih

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If sparks sucks it is an absolute failure for Dubas given Mcbackup outplayed him in the preseason and has showed little to criticize as a leaf.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah Dice what's he supposed to say? Our cap situation is screwed and signing JT was a mistake? Not having Nylander signed yet is not abnormal looking at his agent's history with other young talented RFAs.
Tavares was no mistake. The mistake was not insisting that a decision be made before training camp or a trade would be on the table

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
With this team he shouldn't lose much but will HE win any? That is the question
Maybe? I don't know yet. What I do know though is that I'd rather keep one of Sparks or Pickard who should be adequate back-up NHL goalies looking at what they've done in the past. As good as Mcbackup was last season, his age is a real concern. Clearly management would rather gamble on Sparks then keep McBackup who might not be able to keep his play up for much longer and risk losing everyone in the org save for Woll who is a legit prospect/option.

Reactions: biotk

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Maybe? I don't know yet. What I do know though is that I'd rather keep one of Sparks or Pickard who should be adequate back-up NHL goalies looking at what they've done in the past. As good as Mcbackup was last season, his age is a real concern. Clearly management would rather gamble on Sparks then keep McBackup who might not be able to keep his play up for much longer and risk losing everyone in the org save for Woll who is a legit prospect/option.

You can always sign Sparks/Pickard/Mac type of goalie in FA but this is not the time to go on an adventure like this at this point in season since most of the NHL caliber goalies have already signed elsewhere. I am afraid this adventure might cost us a mid-late pick for the similar caliber goalie that we just lost for nothing.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
You can always sign Sparks/Pickard/Mac type of goalie in FA but this is not the time to go on an adventure like this at this point in season since most of the NHL caliber goalies have already signed elsewhere. I am afraid this adventure might cost us a mid-late pick for the similar caliber goalie that we just lost for nothing.
I agree that they should have tried to trade at least one of the goalies they lost. In the end though, whether or not Sparks or Mcbackup had the job, our chances of winning the cup do not rest on their shoulders. It was going to be all about how Andersen does.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I agree that they should have tried to trade at least one of the goalies they lost. In the end though, whether or not Sparks or Mcbackup had the job, our chances of winning the cup do not rest on their shoulders. It was going to be all about how Andersen does.
they probably did. Dubas wouldn't even let Nolan Vesey go without getting a pick for him. Same story with Carrick. it's likely they tried, but were unable to find a partner

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017

It does influence on our overall ranking and whether we get the home ice advantage or not, if Sparks plays like how he has been than we will see another 60+ games season from Andersen and by the time playoffs are around he will be worn out.

I am not saying that it will happen for sure but chances are very likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad