Dubas opinion based on his interviews and decisions.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Where did I say Babcock had a preference between Carrick and Marincin. I simply said I can not see Babcock chosen Marincin as part of our 23 player roster.

Babs likely would have preferred they resign Polak. Funny enough it seems the main reason the Stars wanted Carrick was because Polak apparently flopped during preseason. That’s why I’m glad Babs is the coach and not the GM.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seriously you do not think we could have put Marincin on waivers and kept 3 goalies around for a while would not have been a better decision. We did not have to lose 2 goalies for nothing at all.

Do you honestly think babcock would want to carry three goalies and not have the depth protection an extra forward and d man? Because I don’t.....

There’s a reason why teams never carry three goalies.

Reactions: Al14

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
i just wanted to know your view that's all. :)

i would assume -(or strongly hope) that the comments that were made were made to prevent offer sheets and i know they are rare, but i could see why from his pov, people would want to tempt fate and see what the rookie gm would do. I personally don't see him wrong in him being absolute. from his end of things, they can and will and they can and most likely will), and while you know I'm all about bridging people, and that's the standard I'd have for everyone not named Matthews, mcDavid etc (and quite frankly, i'd bridge them too, because what's good for goose is good for gander, anyhoo), I don't thin it's necessarily wrong for him to say that he wants long term deals

with that being said I don't think i like the fact he needs to Brian Burke on the scale of everything. we don't need to know this. You don't have to announce everything. it's sort of like there is a cone of silence - but there is air leaking from the top because we're getting snippits that we never use to get. which is good to debate, but i don't like it.

other than Tavares and that was a lot of good will to his end, he still hasn't done a lot to make me feel he was the best choice for this job, and while i am and always team Shanahan, it still irritates me that he didn't look outside the organization. and Decisions like keeping sparks, holl and marincin - are reasons why. quite frankly, i am all about being ruthless. Ruthless prevents you from making Dean Lombardi dumbo decisions.
Fair enough.

NothingButPING

Jun 26, 2015
:thumbd: If i had 4 thumbs, I'd give this 4 thumbs down.

Let's all save this thread & see where this goes. :popcorn:

Reactions: Al14

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
Gotta go with ChuckWoods on this, let the dust settle. The Nylander situation if he holds firm will go a long way to build his rep.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I have to say he hasn't even started yet, just wait for another year to light the torches and hire the lynch mob

sparks can be lights out we shall see. the fact that people are crying that hes strong arming nylander in contract negotiations is great. look how bad the Phaneuf contract was the minute he signed. rather have a gm that takes his time and looks at the present with the future in mind then just appeasing the fans

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Do you honestly think babcock would want to carry three goalies and not have the depth protection an extra forward and d man? Because I don’t.....

No he want McBackup but got Marincin and Sparks. Why not keep both goalies for a while and shed Marincin. Doubt he could not clear waivers again.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I like Dubas, but there will be growing pains associated with him for sure. He's going to be an excellent GM, the team seems more loose and upbeat from their interviews and that starts with Dubas being an open guy. However, he needs to let go of some of the love he has for the AHL guys. I think he's still evolving as a GM and he may have made a mistake in handling our goalie situation but being a GM is not an easy task at all. I have full confidence in his abilities.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t with any comments to the media.
I'll expand here. Many complained JFJ and Lou were boring and didn't say enough and gave nothing during interviews. Many, many complained about Burke being a blowhard and saying way too much. This thread has opened up the possibility that Dubas is saying too much.

Over the years I've learned that the not talking enough or saying too much argument likely falls under the "I need another argument against this guy." Because the variance on this topic is crazy. There doesn't seem to be a grey area or a Goldilocks "he says just enough" state of mind.

I've learned that if someone says a lot, not to get my hopes up 100% cause things change and not everything you want can and/or will happen. I've also learned that if someone isn't saying enough, well then I'm just going to be in for a surprise.

Overall, I let the GMs actions and decsions do the talking, not their talking.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Truth be told. Dubas is an idiot for his stupid comments. “We can and we will sign them all.”

Then “we are only looking at long term deals”.

Not a fan of him at all so far. To young and way to high of an opinion of himself.

Clearly a difference of opinions exists between coach and GM regarding Sparks.
And i hazard a guess about Marincin as well. I simply can not see Babs selecting Marincin to play for the leafs based on his play when given an opportunity.

Kyle Dubas maybe smart but he is sure looking like he is full of himself right now and Shanny needs to tell him to zip it when it comes to comments that are fixed with no flexibility as he has made this short time as our GM.

He has a lot of work to do before I will feel comfortable with him as our GM moving forward.
this is an embarrassing train wreck, but especially this. We get it, you hate him for being young. Get over it

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
He laughed at the reporters who were suggesting a bridge deal. Then said we are only working towards a long term deal etc. He spoke in absolutes which is my point. Sure seems silly to say anything other then we are having on going talks the end!

At this point you’re really only complaining to hear the sound of your own voice.

Reactions: Walshy7 and biotk

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'll expand here. Many complained JFJ and Lou were boring and didn't say enough and gave nothing during interviews. Many, many complained about Burke being a blowhard and saying way too much. This thread has opened up the possibility that Dubas is saying too much.

Over the years I've learned that the not talking enough or saying too much argument likely falls under the "I need another argument against this guy." Because the variance on this topic is crazy. There doesn't seem to be a grey area or a Goldilocks "he says just enough" state of mind.

I've learned that if someone says a lot, not to get my hopes up 100% cause things change and not everything you want can and/or will happen. I've also learned that if someone isn't saying enough, well then I'm just going to be in for a surprise.

Overall, I let the GMs actions and decsions do the talking, not their talking.

I like your post.
I prefer the get it done and let your actions speak for your self and he had 3 big contracts to get done this summer and thus far is 0 for 3.

No need for I can and will sign all 3.

Reactions: Judas Tavares

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
:thumbd: If i had 4 thumbs, I'd give this 4 thumbs down.

Let's all save this thread & see where this goes. :popcorn:
Yup ,and sticking to your guns is more 'Lou Like' than anything else.
He didn't mislead or say anything to jeopardize his position ,so just relax OP...This is Shannys boy, all will be good,even if there are bumps along the way for Dubas!

Reactions: TMLuniverse

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
What's so bad about saying "we can and we will" anyway? What difference would it make if he was to be silent?

Better speak confidently about it because if you show any doubt then it causes a circus. By saying a long term deal will get done then it limits the amount of blind speculation that is done by the media.

Reactions: Max Money

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
What's so bad about saying "we can and we will" anyway? What difference would it make if he was to be silent?

I don’t know what else Dubas could’ve said in response to being asked about the upcoming contracts of Nylander, Marner, and Matthews.

Outright ignoring it or blowing past it isn’t an option. Would make an enemy with the media real quick (not that they’re friends to begin with) and make fans wonder why he avoided the question. He’d win no points by saying “next question” or “I’m not going to address that.”

Being vague wouldn’t work. People would speculate like mad. Is there a trade in the works? Is someone being difficult? Yeah that’s happening now, but we went practically the whole summer without much that kind of talk. It’s only in this past week and a half that it’s reached fever pitch, and Dubas probably figures he can get Gross and the Nylanders to cave within the next two and a half weeks. Better to have protected Nylander and the organization in the summer from what’s being hurled their way now.

Saying “we’ll try, but things change” or something meek like that would make him sound weak, and may make rival GM’s dare to try something like an offer sheet or try to stiff him in trades. This league is still an old boys club, they’d 100% try to take advantage of the 30-something rookie GM if they smelled blood in the water.

So all that was left was for him to aggressively assure people that they’d be re-signed. Sure it may rub people wrong because they perceive it as cocky, and Dubas does stick his neck out. But at least it kept the shit winds of the media and fans at bay for a time, and it signaled to the rest of the league to not try anything,

Can’t please everyone, but it was his best option imo.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Dubas loves to talk and loves to pimp himself while doing it but the problem with people who love to talk is they end up too often contradicting themselves or making themselves look like fools .

why say MNM are committed to making there contracts fit when Willies holding out and the other two choose not to sign when they could have?

why keep acting like signing MNM is an accomplishment when they have no other choice other but to sign with us and based on an 80m cap it's no problem to fit them in , the issue has always been how much will be left over for others than just the ability to sign them

then there's idiotic statements like he's concentrating on building the team based on the competition in our division , like wtf does he actually think that means?

the guy is spending far too much time trying to build his forward out of the box thinking rep he wants to establish for himself instead of keeping quiet and letting his work speak for itself

it was also pretty obvious Babs wasn't thrilled with a few of the guys that were forced on him Holl/Maricin/Sparks all had bad camps

the goalie situation could have been handled better as well , he should have waived Pickard 7-10 days ago and if he didn't clear he should have kept 3 goalies to start the season

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

The Islanders tried it, didn't go well but they gave it a shot

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
The Good
- His interviews. Love listening to him talk. He’s very good and clearly has a plan that he’s capable of explaining
- Signing John Tavares. Duh
- Holding firm on William Nylander. It’s a critical first step for us, so he needs to take the time to ensure it’s a good deal.
- Not resigning Leo Komarov or Roman Polak
- Mostly everything else

The Bad
- Trading Connor Carrick for a 7th Round Pick rather than keeping him on the roster
- Martin Marincin on the roster
- Losing Curtis McEhlhinny and Calvin Pickard for nothing. Goaltending depth now abolished other than Andersen and then prospects.

this 100% + add in no dom moore

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Maybe I am old and prefer actions speaking for themselves and allowing those actions speak for themselves.

Simply say nothing. “ so Kyle after signing JT some think that you can not sign the other big 3? “. Kyle “ we are going to work towards signing all of our key players and we will announce each signing as we complete each negotiation.” Or maybe say I will not discuss or answer any question about contract negotiations.

I see no need to speak in absolutes.

I am not a fan of his at this point based on decisions as well as comments thus far. Hopefully he gets better with his comments and his decisions do not hurt us moving forward. I will always give a player or GM etc credit when credit is due.

I seldom make topic posts and today my frustration got the better of me.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Good
- His interviews. Love listening to him talk. He’s very good and clearly has a plan that he’s capable of explaining
- Signing John Tavares. Duh
- Holding firm on William Nylander. It’s a critical first step for us, so he needs to take the time to ensure it’s a good deal.
- Not resigning Leo Komarov or Roman Polak
- Mostly everything else

The Bad
- Trading Connor Carrick for a 7th Round Pick rather than keeping him on the roster
- Losing Curtis McEhlhinny and Calvin Pickard for nothing. Goaltending depth now abolished other than Andersen and then prospects.

Our goaltending depth was always going to take a hit once waivers hit. We still might be able to claim back at least one, once those teams are healthy.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
The Bad

Man, those are some minor issues. I guess it happens to every contending team lol

Reactions: mavis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad