Dubas needs to own up to some of these issues

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The shrewd part of the Muzzin trade is that he is here next year when Gards walks. We suck it up this year with our 5/6 left hand D. Dermott is fine as our #3 RHD.

I don't know if it's shrewd or not. Shrewd would be trading a similar package for a quality top 4 RHD. In theory Dermott should be slotted in as the #2 LHD and then Marlies filling out the bottom pair.

Like I said I don't hate the deal or anything, just think we need to see how things play out before we can really judge. We still have the same huge hole on the right side that we've had since the young GM took over.

Reactions: hotpaws and ToneDog

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Nope.

Your assertion. You provide proof.

Otherwise it's just sayin' stuff.

5,000,000,000 people aren't wrong, the Nylander deal is fair.

See, I can say stuff too.
I’m team spirit on this one. If he continues to play as he has, and continue to improve he can take the 6.95 every year and I’ll be a happy fan. He’s been probably the most consistent forward our last 10 games or so.

But burn he and Dubas at the stake and all that....

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't know if it's shrewd or not. Shrewd would be trading a similar package for a quality top 4 RHD. In theory Dermott should be slotted in as the #2 LHD and then Marlies filling out the bottom pair.

Like I said I don't hate the deal or anything, just think we need to see how things play out before we can really judge. We still have the same huge hole on the right side that we've had since the old GM took over.

FYP.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Like I said I don't hate the deal or anything, just think we need to see how things play out before we can really judge. We still have the same huge hole on the right side that we've had since the young GM took over.

The fact you have to qualify him by using the word "young" to describe him makes it easy to read between the lines.

Once

Jul 16, 2010

What? Lou did nothing to address the issue and instead signed Zaitsev to a 7 year 4.5k contract. Dubas actually acquired a physical/big shot/6'3 dman that we desperately needed in a good hockey trade. Whats the alternative package for acquiring this top 4 RHD?

Reactions: Menzinger

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

The experienced GM was much quicker at addressing needs. You will recall he sorted out our goaltending very quickly. Then he replicated that feat in his new spot, and is currently sitting in a home ice advantage spot. Our young GM can't say the same. Unfortunately.

Reactions: dsred

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The fact you have to qualify him by using the word "young" to describe him makes it easy to read between the lines.

That he's young? He also wears glasses, I could call him four eyes, but I don't like to be mean.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
What? Lou did nothing to address the issue and instead signed Zaitsev to a 7 year 4.5k contract. Dubas actually acquired a physical/big shot/6'3 dman that we desperately needed in a good hockey trade. Whats the alternative package for acquiring this top 4 RHD?

Zaitsev was a terrible deal, which if Lou had bothered to call me about, I would have been happy to talk him out of. That said, it did address a need, it just appears to be a swing and a miss. It happens. Our young GM has had more misses in his short tenure as Leafs GM than Lou did for his entire run.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Zaitsev was a terrible deal, which if Lou had bothered to call me about, I would have been happy to talk him out of. That said, it did address a need, it just appears to be a swing and a miss. It happens. Our young GM has had more misses in his short tenure as Leafs GM than Lou did for his entire run.

I would have to disagree, considering Zaitsev & Marleau are our biggest cap-related issue.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The experienced GM was much quicker at addressing needs. You will recall he sorted out our goaltending very quickly. Then he replicated that feat in his new spot, and is currently sitting in a home ice advantage spot. Our young GM can't say the same. Unfortunately.

LOL.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

What are you talking about? Have you actually looked at Lou's tenure after the salary cap was implemented? It's abysmal, basically all around.

Yes he won a cup with the Devils, but most of the core was in place prior to the cap in 04/05.

Reactions: Menzinger

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
What are you talking about? Have you actually looked at Lou's tenure after the salary cap was implemented? It's abysmal, basically all around.

Yes he won a cup with the Devils, but most of the core was in place prior to the cap in 04/05.
if Dubas has half the career LL's had he'll get to the HOF and crapping on LL who also went to a cup final with the cap won't make Dube's light shine brighter

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Lou is a HOF'er ...

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
if Dubas has half the career LL's had he'll get to the HOF and crapping on LL who also went to a cup final with the cap won't make Dube's light shine brighter

Again, they won the cup with the cap, but that entire core was acquired prior to the implementation of the cap. He did well with the Leafs because it played to his strengths, trading and stocking up assets.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

So which d-man should Dubas have traded for instead of Muzzin?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
McDavid was the best contract in the league
If you believe that Matthews will make less than 13.94MM after his 5 years are up, you might have a point. McDavid is better and with inflation perhaps Matthews should get paid the same. If Matthews get what I suspect after 5 years which is 15MM plus, he is over paid.

Imo the league has been over due for a contract rebalancing for a while. Middle tier guys like Marleau have maybe 1/4 of the on ice impact of the main guys yet still make 50% of the money.

I’d agree Matthews will be looking at a raise in 5 years but by then it’ll be more of the norm.

Wheels02

Jun 8, 2018
Let's be honest here, the Zaitsev contract was signed when the rebuild was in its early days. Very difficult ultimate for Lou to predict how fast the rebuild would accelerate.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Let's be honest here, the Zaitsev contract was signed when the rebuild was in its early days. Very difficult ultimate for Lou to predict how fast the rebuild would accelerate.

What's the logic here? This guys not worth this term/money but since we suck, who cares?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Absolutely.

But his stellar work in the 90s and eay 00s doesn’t give him a free pass for questionable decisions made in recent years

all GM's make a mistake here and there, only the great ones make it to HOF. Dubus has only been a GM for half a season and we can already question his decisions.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

Lou is pretty well known as a great goalie GM.

We had the same hole at RD when Lou was in charge. He didn't fix it. And this isn't to disparage him, he did a great job while he was here but he's not a magician.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Fixing the D wasn't a huge priority then as it was once we signed Tavares. The Tavares signing bumped us from a developing team into a contender, you can't blame Lou for the D and Dubas is fixing it now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad