Dubas needs to own up to some of these issues

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
McDavid is fairly underpaid given his on ice impact.

But Matthews still makes less total money and a lower aav than McDavid.
McDavid was the best contract in the league
If you believe that Matthews will make less than 13.94MM after his 5 years are up, you might have a point. McDavid is better and with inflation perhaps Matthews should get paid the same. If Matthews get what I suspect after 5 years which is 15MM plus, he is over paid.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
People are arguing Matthews contract isn’t an overpayment? That’s news to me.

He’s now the 2nd highest paid player in the league and we only got him for 5 years!?? Smh

It’s a bad deal for the Leafs. We had to sign him, but I am disappointed with BOTH term and dollars.
It's a contract that any team in the league would give Matthews, albeit begrudgingly. He has a good case for being the best goal scorer in the league for the duration of his contract, while being a defensively responsible center. That has a lot of value

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
McDavid was the best contract in the league
If you believe that Matthews will make less than 13.94MM after his 5 years are up, you might have a point. McDavid is better and with inflation perhaps Matthews should get paid the same. If Matthews get what I suspect after 5 years which is 15MM plus, he is over paid.
If Matthews is getting paid 15mil plus after this 2nd contract, either Leafs had won a Cup or two or Matthews won at least one Richard, Art Ross and Hart trophy and Avg at least PPG. Either case, I think he will deserve whichever amount Leafs give him on that contract bc it will no longer be about potential but rather what he had done this next few years.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
And if we get knocked out in the first round, it is because we didn't have enough skill?
What if we play the Habs and Price just become Team Canada Price just for that series? I think only basketball is more of a sure thing where favourites will most likely win out in a best of 7 series while Hockey and Baseball got other factors such as goalies and pitchers.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
If Matthews is getting paid 15mil plus after this 2nd contract, either Leafs had won a Cup or two or Matthews won at least one Richard, Art Ross and Hart trophy and Avg at least PPG. Either case, I think he will deserve whichever amount Leafs give him on that contract bc it will no longer be about potential but rather what he had done this next few years.
I would rather have McDavid

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
What if we play the Habs and Price just become Team Canada Price just for that series? I think only basketball is more of a sure thing where favourites will most likely win out in a best of 7 series while Hockey and Baseball got other factors such as goalies and pitchers.
So under your model, there is nothing that management can do wrong. If the leafs win, management should be praised. If they lose, it is ok because the sport is a crapshoot?

Reactions: dsred

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So under your model, there is nothing that management can do wrong. If the leafs win, management should be praised. If they lose, it is ok because the sport is a crapshoot?

You still need to build a team good enough to compete. Take last year as an example, can MGT control Jake for the way he played after his 50pts season or how Anderson playing below his abilities? Or how the BJs was up 2-0 and lost 4 straight. A look st last year playoffs, can you say it is an upset and Cinderella story if the Jets, Caps, Preds, Leafs, Pens, Knights, BJs, TB, and Bruins win the Cup last year?
Don’t get me wrong, MGT should get blame for under performing but at the same time there are other circumstances to consider.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Dubas thought 7m AAV for Nylander was a good deal? That was the number he wanted? Are you an employee trying to make these deals seem like they are gems? They aren't gems at all you know, actually they are quite a bit in the other direction.
Not sure where I said it was a gem. In fact, the Nylander contract is fair. Not good. Not bad either.
You just don't like it. Why? I don' t know. But it's fair.
So, you'll just have to live with it.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I've noticed when a good contract is signed, there is no inconsistency. Only when horrible contracts are signed to we start seeing a preposterous amount of hypocritical spin. Shows just how bad these contracts are.

In other words, when you like a contract you have no problems with others, but when you don't like a contract, there is a "preposterous amount of hypocritical spin" from those that disagree with you.

I believe there is a term for that type of behavior. Maybe one of the more recent Psych 101 students can chime in, as it's been a long time since I was a 1st year.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
In other words, when you like a contract you have no problems with others, but when you don't like a contract, there is a "preposterous amount of hypocritical spin" from those that disagree with you.

I believe there is a term for that type of behavior. Maybe one of the more recent Psych 101 students can chime in, as it's been a long time since I was a 1st year.
what's the Psych term when the vast majority of 50 000 plus posts believe a fair deal for Willie was close to 6 per x 6yrs before the deal was signed and were ripping on Willie for being a greedy asshole but now believe 7m at the same term is fair ?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
what's the Psych term when the vast majority of 50 000 plus posts believe a fair deal for Willie was close to 6 per x 6yrs before the deal was signed and were ripping on Willie for being a greedy ******* but now believe 7m at the same term is fair ?

I believe the term you are looking for is called "willful ignorance", and it's what most people define as knowing full well that these contracts are negotiated using league comparable and trends, but still thinking that your subjective opinion is right.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
what's the Psych term when the vast majority of 50 000 plus posts believe a fair deal for Willie was close to 6 per x 6yrs before the deal was signed and were ripping on Willie for being a greedy ******* but now believe 7m at the same term is fair ?
I'd need to see proof.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
there's 50 000 posts as proof if you don't believe the "true fans" that were slagging Willie on Dube's behalf then aren't also defending him now

I am the one that started this thread and I owe some Crow eating here.

I criticised Dubas for not improving the defense and he got Muzzin.
I didn't like the Nylander Saga, but he's playing a lot better.

I never said "fire Dubas", I just wanted a few things fixed. He's proven me wrong.

Good.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I am the one that started this thread and I owe some Crow eating here.

I criticised Dubas for not improving the defense and he got Muzzin.
I didn't like the Nylander Saga, but he's playing a lot better.

I never said "fire Dubas", I just wanted a few things fixed. He's proven me wrong.

Good.

Jury is still out on the Muzzin deal. He was brought in to help Rielly, but he's not playing with him now. So it would appear our young GM pulled the trigger on a LHD when the real need was on the right side. And then you have to question if he thought Muzzin could handle the right side. At least in the media there seemed to be this belief that Muzzin was good on the right side, but if they bothered to watch the Kings they would know he almost never played the right side. Hopefully our young GM was smarter than the media.

On the surface it still seems like a good deal because Muzzin is a solid top 4, he's just duplicates what we already have and then what we have emerging in Sandin and Dermott. You only have two LHD spots in your top 4, so was this just a two year rental move? If so, that's a steep price.

Last edited:
Reactions: baton elevated

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
there are roughly 50 threads at a 1 000 posts per thread , sift through them at your pleasure if you like
Nope.

Your assertion. You provide proof.

Otherwise it's just sayin' stuff.

5,000,000,000 people aren't wrong, the Nylander deal is fair.

See, I can say stuff too.

Reactions: The90

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Jury is still out on the Muzzin deal. He was brought in to help Rielly, but he's not playing with him now. So it would appear our young GM pulled the trigger on a LHD when the real need was on the right side. And then you have to question if he thought Muzzin could handle the right side. At least in the media there seemed to be this belief that Muzzin was good on the right side, but if they bothered to watch the Kings they would know he almost never played the right side. Hopefully our young GM was smarter than the media.

On the surface it still seems like a good deal because Muzzin is a solid top 4, he's just duplicates what we already have and then what we have emerging in Sandin and Dermott. You only have two LHD spots in your top 4, so was this just a two year rental move? If so, that's a steps price.

The shrewd part of the Muzzin trade is that he is here next year when Gards walks. We suck it up this year with our 5/6 left hand D. Dermott is fine as our #3 RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad