Dubas needs to own up to some of these issues

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
***I am not calling for him to be fired.

It's still early, but I can only see one bright positive and many negatives

+
Signing Tavares

-
Trading Matt Martin and not signing Uncle Leo. Now TOR are looking for guys like this.

Putting McElhinney and Pickard on waivers. Going with developing Sparks.

Signing Nylander to 6.96 million dollar deal. Waiting far too long to get this deal done. A deal that could have been done in July as far as I'm concerned.

Not addressing defense and team toughness in the offseason has been another issue.

I know TOR probably won't win the cup this season, but another first round exit will be a failure.

I just don't see what direction this team is going now. Perhaps 2nd place in the division and another 1st round exit? What kind of promise is there?

Dubas better get going here

Yeah it's nice to be in 2nd in the Atlantic, but there isn't much promise for the playoffs.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017
I think we are doing fine. All in all Martin and Leo did what they were meant to do and provided leadership / and in Leo's case excellent translation skills ... but their time passed.

I also miss McElhinney, but in the end Dubas decided to go with youth and did a favour to the vet ... it would be a shame if he had to play in the AHL, since it was predetermined that Sparks will get the go to.

Imagine if Sparks was Blackwood, Samsonov, Sorokin or Carter Hart ... we would be very happy now ... damn such a shame.

It seems to me we will be facing Boston ... Tavares and Marner will go up against Boston's top line so it will depend on Matthews / Nylander to step up this time around.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
You’re right. I much prefer how the team was 3 years ago than today. Having a good team suck! Gives us way more to complain about.

Seriously man chill out and enjoy the team. Martin and Komarov are plugs. We’re not looking for those types, we’re looking for physical players who can score. Pickard is clearly not better than sparks and mcbackup is what 36? So why the hell would we keep him. Nylander got fair value. And if addressing the D was that easy, it would be done by now.

Some people on this board are nuts

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Only issue I have with Dubas so far is that his foresight when it comes to Leafs Defensive core isn't as good; would love to be proven wrong; to be seen what happens

ohhh and he should not run his mouth in the media "we can and we will" or "will not trade willy as long as he is GM here"

Reactions: diceman934

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't get how he messed up the goalie situation. We had 3 waiver eligible goalies... we are not gonna keep 3 or 4 on the roster.

He simply didn't its hard for people to understand whatever two goalies didn't make the team had to go on waivers and both got claimed. No team keeps 3 goalies on their roster, but apparently thats a "mess up".

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
He simply didn't its hard for people to understand whatever two goalies didn't make the team had to go on waivers and both got claimed. No team keeps 3 goalies on their roster, but apparently thats a "mess up".

Was Sparks the best goalie to keep? Why are we developing him? To supplant Andersen some day? McElhinney was a fine back up. Let another team develop/risk Sparks.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Only issue I have with Dubas so far is that his foresight when it comes to Leafs Defensive core isn't as good; would love to be proven wrong; to be seen what happens

ohhh and he should not run his mouth in the media "we can and we will" or "will not trade willy as long as he is GM here"

Dubas was a lot more careful in his wording that "will not". Seems more like he said we will not unless we have to, but the deal Nylander signed was enough permission to trade him if it made sense for the club. That's the compromise Nylander had to make unfortunately.

I do not mind him talking to the media, but he could probably rein it in a bit, even though he is choosing his words carefully. Anywhere else what he would be doing would be totally fine, but Toronto Media and fans are total vultures and will twist true intentions in the worst possible way. It may take one time for him to learn (i.e. if he trades Nylander), but I think he will learn that quickly.

Other than a draft that was kind of iffy given the amount of time he had to prepare with complete control of the situation, I do not think Dubas has made a mistake yet. Everything he has done seems quite calculated...

Especially the first two negatives... Those were great moves for the Leafs to make.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Best team? The best team wins in the playoffs. This team is likely not going to do that. Being 2nd in the Atlantic is not that great a feeling.

No patience at all with Leaf fans. It takes time to gather all the resources to make a Stanley cup team, it's not add water and mix special ingredient, tap your twinkies twice and fart into the east wind whilst facing south.

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Was Sparks the best goalie to keep? Why are we developing him? To supplant Andersen some day? McElhinney was a fine back up. Let another team develop/risk Sparks.

Dubas is huge on player development. The Marlies are going to be a huge source of players for us and it has been for the past 3 years. Sparks was a fine choice by Dubas, and this also sets an example for the rest of the team. Amazing play in the AHL does not go unnoticed.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

The same reason why the LA kings developed Jones, the same reason why Washington developed Grubauer because their value and potential is more then having McElhinney on the roster. Sparkz is 6-2-1 and is potentially worth something later on if we cannot keep him. As were McElhinney is worth little value and has no potential.

Reactions: Mork and AreBe

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Lol agenda is glaring. 2nd in the Atlantic is pretty good when you’re behind the best team in the league.

What are your expectations for TOR when it comes to the playoffs? Will you be disappointed with another 1st round exit? Do we just watch hockey to appreciate the President's Trophy only?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad