Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Drai by a very slight edge.

both are great players but cap hit and contract length wise I would take Drai

The contract is the difference maker here for Draisaitl.

Draisaitl is signed to 2024-25 @ 8.5M at 3.134M per year less than Matthews.
Matthews till 2023-24 @ 11.634M more money and his contract ends a year earlier.

Draisaitl, 32 goals, 34 assists, 66 pts. 55 games.
Matthews, 24 goals, 23 assists, 47 pts, 41 games.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He goes from a 100 point pace to a 40 point 3rd line player when away from McDavid? Do you realize how dumb that sounds

He has 43 even strength points in 953 minutes
He currently has 11 points in 381 minutes without McDavid
He currently has 32 points in 572 minutes with McDavid

You may think it sounds dumb, but those are the rates he actually scores at..... And given the typical forward plays about 1200 ES minutes in a full season, that's under a 40 point pace (at ES). You say "do you know how dumb that sounds", and that's because he's so ineffective without McDavid, you can't even comprehend how bad he is. He's so horrifically bad without McDavid, you don't even believe it, despite all the evidence provided to you.

Further, the stats suggest that when he is not stapled to McDavid's side, he is actually a liability to the Oilers. He actually drags the Oilers down. The Oilers get outshot, outchanced, out-high danger chanced, when McDavid is not on the ice. But when McDavid is not on the ice, and Draisaitl is, they actually get outshot, outchanced, and out high danger chanced, even worse then when Draisaitl is sitting on the bench.

And that makes sense when you watch him play. He just had one of those controller disconnected videos the other day. He just got reamed out by his coach straight to the media.

Do you somehow think you know better than the stats, AND his coach?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
He has 43 even strength points in 953 minutes
He currently has 11 points in 381 minutes without McDavid
He currently has 32 points in 572 minutes with McDavid

You may think it sounds dumb, but those are the rates he actually scores at..... And given the typical forward plays about 1200 ES minutes in a full season, that's under a 40 point pace (at ES). You say "do you know how dumb that sounds", and that's because he's so ineffective without McDavid, you can't even comprehend how bad he is. He's so horrifically bad without McDavid, you don't even believe it, despite all the evidence provided to you.

Further, the stats suggest that when he is not stapled to McDavid's side, he is actually a liability to the Oilers. He actually drags the Oilers down. The Oilers get outshot, outchanced, out-high danger chanced, when McDavid is not on the ice. But when McDavid is not on the ice, and Draisaitl is, they actually get outshot, outchanced, and out high danger chanced, even worse then when Draisaitl is sitting on the bench.

And that makes sense when you watch him play. He just had one of those controller disconnected videos the other day. He just got reamed out by his coach straight to the media.

Do you somehow think you know better than the stats, AND his coach?
Yes, as someone who watches him every game I realize he very easily makes a positive impact on the ice.

Hitch didn't attack him specifically, and I'm 100% sure if he had to choose between Draisaitl and any player other than McDavid to be on the ice, he'd pick Draisaitl. There's a reason his toi is far and away 2nd highest amongst Oiler forwards. PLus Coaches get on players and whole teams to motivate them, not to support your bs narrative.

Your argument is so incredibly stupid, it is actually hard to even argue against.

Reactions: Former Referee 68

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The premise of this thread is a bit disingenuous. Draisaitl signed his contract at 11.33% of the cap, or 9.4 mill assuming a cap of 83 million next season.

So it is 9.4 vs. 11.6. Still a sizeable gap for Matthews, but closer.

Matthews is also a 1C and is not riding McDavid's coattails. He is the primary threat on his team not secondary. He is 2 years younger, the better goal scorer (among the best in the league), and has the better career P/GP, albeit more fragile.

This should be Matthews easily.

Reactions: 1specter

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, as someone who watches him every game I realize he very easily makes a positive impact on the ice.

Hitch didn't attack him specifically, and I'm 100% sure if he had to choose between Draisaitl and any player other than McDavid to be on the ice, he'd pick Draisaitl. There's a reason his toi is far and away 2nd highest amongst Oiler forwards. PLus Coaches get on players and whole teams to motivate them, not to support your bs narrative.

Your argument is so incredibly stupid, it is actually hard to even argue against.

Well yeah, he DID attack Draisaitl specifically. He's second in TOI because the'yve stapled him to McDavid, so he doesn't kill the team without him.

you can't argue against it because you have nothing. If you did, you would have presented it already. You've yet to come up with a shred of evidence contradicting what i say.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Before this past season, Matthews got to play with Nylander, a top ten pick, then Marner, a top 5 pick , on the PP.

Draisaitl plays with Lucic and Reider

Stop that nonsense, the stats show he plays the vast majority of the time with McDavid as a winger. His stats fall dramatically when that isn’t the case

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Draisaitl is playing 4 more minutes per game than Matthews. 4 more minutes. Matthews is basically the most dominant 5 on 5 player in the NHl besides McDavid. He's not top 80 in league TOI. It's s joke.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Draisaitl is playing 4 more minutes per game than Matthews. 4 more minutes. Matthews is basically the most dominant 5 on 5 player in the NHl besides McDavid. He's not top 80 in league TOI. It's s joke.
Because he cants handle the extra minutes. The extra time is not a true positive when it consists of PKing and double shifting in the defensive zone against top competition.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Well yeah, he DID attack Draisaitl specifically. He's second in TOI because the'yve stapled him to McDavid, so he doesn't kill the team without him.

you can't argue against it because you have nothing. If you did, you would have presented it already. You've yet to come up with a shred of evidence contradicting what i say.
I have never seen someone so strongly believe in an utterly ridiculous premise.

If McDavid turns 40 point players into 100 point players, then maybe the Oilers should go after Nylander/Kadri.

Hell who knows, maybe he could even bump Matthews up past 70 points. Help Matthews earn that steal of a contract.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Because he cants handle the extra minutes. The extra time is not a true positive when it consists of PKing and double shifting in the defensive zone against top competition.
Based on what are you going by? Have you seen his PPG and GPG?
Babcock plays every player less than their peers. This is his style.

Leafs have one of the hottest forwards in the entire NHL and he plays on the 4th line.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Based on what are you going by? Have you seen his PPG and GPG?
Babcock plays every player less than their peers. This is his style.

Leafs have one of the hottest forwards in the entire NHL and he plays on the 4th line.
Because I see the toll it takes on the best forward in the world.

McDavid I think would be even more productive if you lowered his minutes to 20 max. The Oilers just don't have any other choice than to ride 97, 93, and 29 all game.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I have never seen someone so strongly believe in an utterly ridiculous premise.

If McDavid turns 40 point players into 100 point players, then maybe the Oilers should go after Nylander/Kadri.

Hell who knows, maybe he could even bump Matthews up past 70 points. Help Matthews earn that steal of a contract.

You seem rattled. Youre getting angry. May i suggest trying a more constructive approach and find something to support your opinion?

Simply posting your utterly ridiculous opinion with nothing to support it hasnt been working for you.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

McDavid I think would be even more productive if you lowered his minutes to 20 max. The Oilers just don't have any other choice than to ride 97, 93, and 29 all game.
Wouldnt it be great if the oilers had a second line that could push offense?

Its a shame they dont have a single player other than mcdavid capable of driving a line.

Its a shame the guy they staple to his wing cant be moved to another line, because he drags the oilers down even moreso.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Matthews for me. He belongs in a tier with Mackinnon/McDavid/Eichel where I feel Drai is one tier down with the likes of Rantanen/Barzal/Marner.

I feel the same way - but Matthews makes 3M more per year.

I also feel that way about Mackinnon. I'm an Oilers fan and I think the team would be better off swapping McDavid for Mack because one makes 50% less money and produces almost on par. The is a cap league - salary matters

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

I am not saying give matthews 5 more minutes, just give him 20 minutes a night.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Wouldnt it be great if the oilers had a second line that could push offense?

Its a shame they dont have a single player other than mcdavid capable of driving a line.

Its a shame the guy they staple to his wing cant be moved to another line, because he drags the oilers down even moreso.
And I seem rattled? At this point youre doing nothing other than trying to elicit a response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad