Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
lol this is easy. Matthews is a legit star player capable of leading a team. Draisaitl is a second line centre capable of scoring 50 points without McDavid.

Easy Matthews, Draisaitl could be paid $5M or less even, and I'd still take Matthews.
You would rather have Matthews at 11.6 than Draisaitl at 5 million? Draisaitl at 5 million would be one of the most valuable assets in the league

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I’m saying there are some fans on both sides who opt for attacking the opponent rather than propping up their guy.

That’s why the whole arbitrary 70 point thing comes up a lot imo. But yes, it is arbitrary
The difference is we have proof of Draisaitl scoring 51 points without McDavid on his line in the 2016 season, where as with McDavid he scored 77 points in the 2017 season.

Matthews was just unlucky that in his rookie season he finished with 69 points instead of 70.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The difference is we have proof of Draisaitl scoring 51 points without McDavid on his line in the 2016 season, where as with McDavid he scored 77 points in the 2017 season.

Matthews was just unlucky that in his rookie season he finished with 69 points instead of 70.
As I said in the other post, a lot of that jump I attribute to player development. It’s a little unfair to compare current Draisaitl to rookie Draisaitl (yes I know he wasn’t a true rookie, but you get the point).

Matthews got unlucky. I agree. Still doesn’t mean Draisaitl has plateaued since he was 20.

Draisaitl has a chance to pot 50 goals and 100 points this year. Players don’t do that riding shotgun. He is a premier offensive player in the league. Not arguing he’s better than Matthews, but the idea he slides on in off McDavids back is simply not true.

No other takes the amount of shit Draisaitl does for playing with a star player. There are very few stars in the league who don’t play with talent.

Reactions: Former Referee 68

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
As I said in the other post, a lot of that jump I attribute to player development. It’s a little unfair to compare current Draisaitl to rookie Draisaitl (yes I know he wasn’t a true rookie, but you get the point).

Matthews got unlucky. I agree. Still doesn’t mean Draisaitl has plateaued since he was 20.

Draisaitl has a chance to pot 50 goals and 100 points this year. Players don’t do that riding shotgun. He is a premier offensive player in the league. Not arguing he’s better than Matthews, but the idea he slides on in off McDavids back is simply not true.

No other takes the amount of **** Draisaitl does for playing with a star player. There are very few stars in the league who don’t play with talent.

Agreed. Jonathan Cheechoo was always one of the premier goal scorers of the league, and probably should have scored near 100 points every year of his career.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Agreed. Jonathan Cheechoo was always one of the premier goal scorers of the league, and probably should have scored near 100 points every year of his career.
Cheechoo wasn’t a 3rd OA pick that has progressed every single year and has reached his ceiling and expectations.

Cheechoo is an obvious outlier. Draisaitl still very young, already has had 2 very impressive seasons, and will likely continue having more. I really fail to see the comparison.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Cheechoo wasn’t a 3rd OA pick that has progressed every single year and has reached his ceiling and expectations.

Cheechoo is an obvious outlier. Draisaitl still very young, already has had 2 very impressive seasons, and will likely continue having more. I really fail to see the comparison.
Point per game olympian chris kunitz,40 goal ppg james neal, and 59 point pascal dupuis say hi.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
One last point about Draisaitl -- The spelling of his last name makes me feel like I'm making a typo every single time I write it.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Point per game olympian chris kunitz,40 goal ppg james neal, and 59 point pascal dupuis say hi.
Alright? Do you honestly believe Draisaitl will fall into that group?

He’s 23 and this will be his 3rd straight 70+ point season, and he could very well smash every career high he’s set up to this point.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Alright? Do you honestly believe Draisaitl will fall into that group?

He’s 23 and this will be his 3rd straight 70+ point season, and he could very well smash every career high he’s set up to this point.
Will he? He IS right now until proven otherwise.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
yeah, maybe Draisaitl will make the Hall of Fame. they have the player category, the builder category, and they can induct him in the new compiler category.
So you are saying he is a future HOF candidate

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
He has proven otherwise with 3 straight seasons...
How so? The group i listed had seasons (some multiple) where their production was boosted in a major way, just like cheechoo did. And just like draisaitl does.

His scoring rate without mcdavid at even strength is almost exatly that of nylanders right now, this season. And thats with nylander scoring 2 points in his first 17 games or whatever. Hes tied for 205th with shea weber. Yeah. Dman shea weber. Or ilya kovalchuk.

His advanced stats show that he actually drags the oilers down without mcdavid. Thats correct, the other oilers actually fare better without draisaitl than with him. Unless of course mcdavid is stapled to his side.

Of all the players hitchcock could point out as a problem, why do you think the person he is pointing his finger at is draisaitl?

Last edited:

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
How so? The group i listed had seasons (some multiple) where their production was boosted in a major way, just like cheechoo did. And just like draisaitl does.

His scoring rate without mcdavid at even strength is almost exatly that of nylanders right now, this season. And thats with nylander scoring 2 points in his first 17 games or whatever. Hes tied for 205th with shea weber. Yeah. Dman shea weber. Or ilya kovalchuk.

His advanced stats show that he actually drags the oilers down without mcdavid. Thats correct, the other oilers actually fare better without draisaitl than with him. Unless of course mcdavid is stapled to his side.

Of all the players hitchcock could point out as a problem, why do you think the person he is pointing his finger at is draisaitl?
So the Oilers would be better off without Draisaitl?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I do not believe in advanced stats to the point where subtracting an all-star player would be productive.
I suggest you do the same.
Correction -an all star player beside mcdavid.

His production is that of a third liner without mcdavid and he isnt very good in his own zone (ask his coach).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well, the Leafs are good and the Oilers need to rebuild, so there's your answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad