Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You really want to go there...he hasn’t played 3/4 of the season with any of those guys. I don’t wish injury on anyone but if McDavid went down for a few weeks I would love to see how he would do.
Not only that but Nylander didn't make his debut until December. Plus most of the time he's not been on Matthews line and never mind being on the same power play line as him.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
You really want to go there...he hasn’t played 3/4 of the season with any of those guys. I don’t wish injury on anyone but if McDavid went down for a few weeks I would love to see how he would do.
Don't you understand that Matthews has a better supporting cast than Draisaitl? He gets to play with some of those players on the PP and 5 on 5 in some instance.

To add on, the Leafs defence has a better transition game, leading to more offensive zone time.

Lastly, teams have to spread out their defense strategy, while Draisaitl faces the top lines when with McDavid

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Don't you understand that Matthews has a better supporting cast than Draisaitl? He gets to play with some of those players on the PP and 5 on 5 in some instance.

To add on, the Leafs defence has a better transition game, leading to more offensive zone time.

Lastly, teams have to spread out their defense strategy, while Draisaitl faces the top lines when with McDavid
I thought Connor McDavid being on the Oilers was better than any supporting cast Toronto can use. I mean whenever there has been a poll involving McDavid no matter who he was up against the answer is always McDavid because of how great a player he is.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

Your argument is full of fallacies...putting Draisatl on his own line playing against worst defenders hasn’t worked. He hasn’t produced zip without McDavid that’s why they’ve been put together in the first place. He can’t carry a line....Matthews has been playing the majority of the year with a guy HF called a 4th line fringe player(Kapanen) at the beginning of the year another in Johnsson and mostly recently a near 40 year old Patrick Marleau. Guess what Matthews is having a great year and so are the young guys. Guess your going to give Drai credit for Chiasson but oh wait didn’t Patrick Maroon flourish with McDavid not Drai. Hmm quite the common denominator

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I thought Connor McDavid being on the Oilers was better than any supporting cast Toronto can use. I mean whenever there has been a poll involving McDavid no matter who he was up against the answer is always McDavid because of how great a player he is.

Exactly, that’s how it works in polls but then in discussions it’s McDavid needs Drai just as much. The reality is if McDavid and Matthews played together and fully healthy, they would be one and two in league scoring and it wouldn’t be close...

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Your argument is full of fallacies...putting Draisatl on his own line playing against worst defenders hasn’t worked. He hasn’t produced zip without McDavid that’s why they’ve been put together in the first place. He can’t carry a line....Matthews has been playing the majority of the year with a guy HF called a 4th line fringe player(Kapanen) at the beginning of the year another in Johnsson and mostly recently a near 40 year old Patrick Marleau. Guess what Matthews is having a great year and so are the young guys. Guess your going to give Drai credit for Chiasson but oh wait didn’t Patrick Maroon flourish with McDavid not Drai. Hmm quite the common denominator
No offense to these players but if anything Kapanen and Johnsson are better line mates than Hyman and Brown were during Matthews rookie season and Matthews still scored 40 goals at that time.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Exactly, that’s how it works in polls but then in discussions it’s McDavid needs Drai just as much. The reality is if McDavid and Matthews played together and fully healthy, they would be one and two in league scoring and it wouldn’t be close...
That almost became a reality seeing as during the 2016 Draft Lottery going into final ball drawing after the numbers of 6-8-5 were selected, the Oilers were one of the teams with the highest odds to win the 1st in 2016 based on those combination of numbers. Toronto could only have won with a #13 ball and the Oilers could have won with a #14 ball and two other number that I can not remember.

So it was the same thing that happened in the 2015 Draft Lottery when Toronto had the highest odds to get McDavid going into the final ball drawing which they could have won if three specific numbers happened to be drawn based on the first 3 balls that were already selected.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
LOL. This thread seems to have backfired on the OP.

Votes are nearly 50/50 at 179-175 for Matthews as of the moment. It’s a good poll.

350+ votes with the consensus split down the middle.

I think the biggest thing making it close is the 3 years extra term and UFA years for Drai versus Matthews becoming a UFA at 26 right in his prime.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Looks like you missed the point......

No I got the point. The fact that he is rarely on the ice with those guys is probably a good indicator of the exact opposite to the point you were hoping to make, one that clearly wasn't very well thought out or at the very least, seems to indicate you may not have seen a single Leaf game this year.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Don't you understand that he plays very little of his time with the guys you think he does oompared to Draisaitl getting almost 2/3 of his minutes with McDavid?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Everyone on this site recognizes Matthews talent wise is a 40 goal 100 point caliber center.

It’s just a lot of leaf fans find arbitrary digs at other teams players, so it’s a comeback. Doesn’t mean anything if you don’t let it.

Most Leafs fans don't seem to recognize him as a 40 goal 100 point caliber center.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
He goes from a 100 point pace to a 40 point 3rd line player when away from McDavid? Do you realize how dumb that sounds

When the discussion is about what individual players are worth, it is probably relevant to discuss what the individual themselves brings to the table? If data consistently shows you something, odds are it carries some validity, no? So if there is a wide discrepancy between one's performance with one person versus away from them and if we have no shortage of other examples (which we do) of other players showing the same trend.....walks like a duck......

Last edited:

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Before this past season, Matthews got to play with Nylander, a top ten pick, then Marner, a top 5 pick , on the PP.

Draisaitl plays with Lucic and Reider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad