Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The question is not who is the better player. The question is whether Matthews is worth another 3.13 million over 3 less years. That's 36% more over three less years.

Who do you choose?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Matthews, but I'm assuming he continues to grow + the Seattle expansion ups the cap to 90 million by 2022.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Draisaitl already has a top 10 points finish and is currently 3rd in goals and 7th in points.

He’s also outproduced Matthews every year they’ve been in the league together.

His deal is a really good deal considering it also covers 3 UFA years.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Draisaitl already has a top 10 points finish and is currently 3rd in goals and 7th in points.

Player A: 323gp, 107 goals, 166 assists, 273 points....currently in 5th NHL season,

Player B: 183gp, 98 goals, 81 assists, 179 points.....currently in 3rd NHL season.

Who has been better in their NHL career to date?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I’m going to make a prediction.

If Matthew loses this poll, it’s not because of rational reasons regarding the contract but because HFboards/the universe is always picking on the Leafs.

That being said, I think it’s close. I don’t like the length of the Matthews deal being only five years, which is why I’m voting for Draisaitl.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Player A: 323gp, 107 goals, 166 assists, 273 points....currently in 5th NHL season,

Player B: 183gp, 98 goals, 81 assists, 179 points.....currently in 3rd NHL season.

Who has been better in their NHL career to date?

70+ point seasons:
Player A: 2
Player B: 0

Top 10 point finishes:
Player A: 1

The season Draisaitl is currently having also is better than any season Matthews has had by a significant margin.

The biggest thing is the UFA years though.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014

Matthews is an Alpha, Draisaitl is a passenger until proven otherwise, period.

Matthews scored 40 as a rookie with a 20 point rookie Zachary Hyman on his wing. Is over ppg with a 40 year old Marleau and Kap who has just reached 30 points for the first time in his career.

This is Matthews AINEC.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
As a Leafs hater (I lived in Toronto for 10 years off and on) and a Draisaitl-booster since his WHL (his game has translated 100%), I'd have to say Matthew slightly because I value elite finishers over elite playmakers.

Draisaitl is not a passenger, lol. If he is... then Matthews is injury-prone like Hall (and what do you know.. he's injured again this season).

An elite sniper that can score at will is more valuable than a setup player like Draisaitl or Backstrom. Matthews playmaking ability is just okay - it can improve much like Draisaitl's shooting has... but neither will be elite in those areas.

Reactions: Duke74 and KlefDown

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
70+ point seasons:
Player A: 2

Top 10 point finishes:
Player A: 1

The season Draisaitl is currently having also is better than any season Matthews has had by a significant margin.

The biggest thing is the UFA years though.

Another flawed post. True production is PPG. Knocking Matthews for injuries is fair, but the 70 point is a lazy argument.

When has drai ever been “the man” on his line and been productive? He’s only produced when someone better then him was on his line i.e Taylor Hall and McDavid. When he’s the best player on his line he doesn’t produce, simple as that.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
As a Leafs hater (I lived in Toronto for 10 years off and on) and a Draisaitl-booster since his WHL (his game has translated 100%), I'd have to say Matthew slightly because I value elite finishers over elite playmakers.

Draisaitl is not a passenger, lol. If he is... then Matthews is injury-prone like Hall (and what do you know.. he's injured again this season).

An elite sniper that can score at will is more valuable than a setup player like Draisaitl or Backstrom. Matthews playmaking ability is just okay - it can improve much like Draisaitl's shooting has... but neither will be elite in those areas.

Drai is 3rd in the league in scoring, how is he not an elite scoring?

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Drai's contract is better no doubt but a two year difference between the contract signings is going to create a level of inflation.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Matthews scored 40 as a rookie with a 20 point rookie Zachary Hyman on his wing. Is over ppg with a 40 year old Marleau and Kap who has just reached 30 points for the first time in his career.

This is Matthews AINEC.
Lol an alpha? Matthews was definitely a beta in the playoffs

Drai has more than double Matthews’ playoff points in the same amount of games played

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
11.634 is a lot to pay for a guy who has difficulty cracking 70 points, doesn't show up in the playoffs and misses 15-20 games a year due to being fragile. Not to mention that 11.634 is pretty much all RFA years...

man times have changed since Toronto was trying to convince everybody that Matthews was on McDavids tier, he's battling it out in the tier with Eichel, Marner, Draisaitl, Barzal, Rantanen etc.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Lol an alpha? Matthews was definitely a beta in the playoffs

Drai has more than double Matthews’ playoff points in the same amount of games played

David Clarkson scores 30 goals once. Ever hear of a fluke? You’re also forgetting Matthews had a really nice playoff series against Washington. One good series and one bad series vs Boston.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018

Drasaitl is 2 years older.

Matthews had a far better rookie season, and Drasaitl only outproduced Matthews in his 2nd rookie because Matthews suffered an injury. If you look past points, Matthews have much better advance stats.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

If Drai is a passenger, Matthews is invisible in most games unless he gets an opportunistic chance or two.

11.634 is a lot to pay for a guy who has difficulty cracking 70 points, doesn't show up in the playoffs and misses 15-20 games a year due to being fragile. Not to mention that 11.634 is pretty much all RFA years...

Not just the playoffs. Big games too. Especially against teams like the Bruins that grind the Leafs down. Matthews is always MIA in those ones.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Another flawed post. True production is PPG. Knocking Matthews for injuries is fair, but the 70 point is a lazy argument.

When has drai ever been “the man” on his line and been productive? He’s only produced when someone better then him was on his line i.e Taylor Hall and McDavid. When he’s the best player on his line he doesn’t produce, simple as that.
The past three season.

Drai 0.99 PPG
Matthews 0.98 PPG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad