Draisaitl @ 8.5/8yrs vrs Matthews @ 11.63/5yrs

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
The question is not who is the better player. The question is whether Matthews is worth another 3.13 million over 3 less years. That's 36% more over three less years.

Who do you choose?

It doesn't matter who is the better player? How f***ing stupid is this? If skill isn't involved all you are asking is,

Unknown player A makes $$$$$$$$$$
Unknown player B makes $$$$

Which player do you want? How has this poll question gotten to 9 pages?

BTW when you look at skill + price it is Matthews every god damn day of the week and it isn't even close. Matthews is a #1 scoring Center that drives a line. He is also younger. And even tho I am a Leafs fan anyone who says anything different is just a Leaf hater

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Why doesn't Edmonton take Matthews and just cut cost with all those overpaid mediocre players they have?

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
It doesn't matter who is the better player? How ****ing stupid is this? If skill isn't involved all you are asking is,

Unknown player A makes $$$$$$$$$$
Unknown player B makes $$$$

Which player do you want? How has this poll question gotten to 9 pages?

BTW when you look at skill + price it is Matthews every god damn day of the week and it isn't even close. Matthews is a #1 scoring Center that drives a line. He is also younger. And even tho I am a Leafs fan anyone who says anything different is just a Leaf hater
Hmmm.

I'm not sure whether to laugh, reply or buy you a drink.

;)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Remember when Draisaitl signed the 8.5 contract and many thought, "Wow, they over paid. $8.5 million is a lot for him". This contract is going to look pretty damn good if he continues to play this way, and he'll then be considered underpaid as RFA contracts sky rocket up, which is the trend we're seeing.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Draisaitl is a great player and any team would be happy to have him at $8.5 million, but until he establishes himself full time as a center away from the best player on earth it's not close. Matthews is a center who can drive his line with any wingers Babcock throws at him and has been doing it since he was a rookie. Every GM in the league would take Matthews at $11.6 million over Draisaitl.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
I’m an Oilers fan and I have to go with Mathews. He makes goals happen and is aware of the concept of back checking.

If Leon ever decides he wants to play a complete game every game then he’s underpaid the delta.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
That you have been posting your opinion with nothing to support it, and it has not been working for you?

Yes, that's true.

Are you going to try to support your utterly ridiculous opinion?
No im asking:

1) Has Matthews scored 70 points?
2) Does Matthews have a steal of a contract?
3) Does McDavid singlehandedly turn 40 point players into 100 point pace players?
(and that 100 point pace is with 35% of Draisaitl's time being on his own according to you)
4) True or False: Nylander is scoring at 30 point 82 game pace.
5) True or False: Kadri is scoring at a 47 point 82 game pace.

I know you ignored the questions the 1st time, so I ask again
Are those true?

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The premise of this thread is a bit disingenuous. Draisaitl signed his contract at 11.33% of the cap, or 9.4 mill assuming a cap of 83 million next season.

So it is 9.4 vs. 11.6. Still a sizeable gap for Matthews, but closer.

Matthews is also a 1C and is not riding McDavid's coattails. He is the primary threat on his team not secondary. He is 2 years younger, the better goal scorer (among the best in the league), and has the better career P/GP, albeit more fragile.

This should be Matthews easily.
This.

TheNuge

Jan 3, 2013
Think about this

Drai is a .84 PPG player over his career
Matthews is a .96 PPG player over his career

Nicklas Backstrom is a .98 PPG player over his career, which has over 500 games more than both Matthews and Drai and has a AAV of 6.7M

^^ Most under-rated center in the league IMO

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Think about this

Drai is a .84 PPG player over his career
Matthews is a .96 PPG player over his career

Nicklas Backstrom is a .98 PPG player over his career, which has over 500 games more than both Matthews and Drai and has a AAV of 6.7M

^^ Most under-rated center in the league IMO
As a huge Backstrom fan myself, his contract was signed so long ago it can't even be compared. Also, Draisaitl and Matthews have yet to hit their peak years, whereas Backstrom has.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
No im asking:
Yes
No, it's pretty fair for an elite player, that scored 40 goals in his rookie season, controls and leads offense like him.

3) Does McDavid singlehandedly turn 40 point players into 100 point pace players?

I don't believe he's ever had a linemate score 100 points, so no, certainly not yet.

(and that 100 point pace is with 35% of Draisaitl's time being on his own according to you)
Either your math is as horribly wrong as your ability to provide evidence to back up what you say, or I'm missing what you're trying to state here.

Could be true, I haven't done the math. Funny he has the same points/60 that Draisaitl has this year when not playing with McDavid... LOL. And this is Nylanders worst stretch of his career. So, Draisaitl without McDavid, is roughly equal to Nylander, when Nylander is at his worst. And that will probably be short lived because it's a short sample size, and Nylander has been producing quite a bit lately.

Could be. I havne't done the math. I would say that's pretty good for a guy playing on the third line in a primarily defensive role. That is, in fact, better than Draisaitl without McDavid offensively. And remember, Draisaitl is a liability, and horrific in his own zone.

Are those true?

I didn't see you ask them the first time.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Remember when Draisaitl signed the 8.5 contract and many thought, "Wow, they over paid. $8.5 million is a lot for him". This contract is going to look pretty damn good if he continues to play this way, and he'll then be considered underpaid as RFA contracts sky rocket up, which is the trend we're seeing.

That's the way with a lot of contracts. When Rielly signed his people thought 5 million was too much for him. Even last year, people did not view Kucherov's deal quite the same they do today.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Yes

No, it's pretty fair for an elite player, that scored 40 goals in his rookie season, controls and leads offense like him.

I don't believe he's ever had a linemate score 100 points, so no, certainly not yet.

Either your math is as horribly wrong as your ability to provide evidence to back up what you say, or I'm missing what you're trying to state here.

Could be true, I haven't done the math. Funny he has the same points/60 that Draisaitl has this year when not playing with McDavid... LOL. And this is Nylanders worst stretch of his career. So, Draisaitl without McDavid, is roughly equal to Nylander, when Nylander is at his worst.

Could be. I havne't done the math. I would say that's pretty good for a guy playing on the third line in a primarily defensive role. That is, in fact, better than Draisaitl without McDavid offensively. And remember, Draisaitl is a liability, and horrific in his own zone.

I didn't see you ask them the first time.
1) No, he hasnt, you're outright lying.
2) Haha absolutely not. McDavid gets paid less than a million more, has 3 more years on his contract, and is twice the player. Look at the Eichel contract as well. Anyone other than the most homer of leaf fans (you included) recognizes the leafs got taken to the cleaners with this one.
3a) Apparently, you're illiterate as well. The word "pace" is right there and it's not like 55+ games is a tiny sample size.
3b) 381 minutes without McDavid/953 total minutes (x100)=40% so I actually my point is even stronger than I thought when I predicted 35% (mental math). Its basic division and multiplication, I'm glad you're learning at least.
4) Funny sounds to me like you're incapable of doing it. So Nylander's 10 points=Draisaitl's 66? Man now that is a STRETCH. You really need to retake kindergarten math.
5) So now Kadri AND Nylander (!!!) are both better than Draisaitl, I just find it odd that 99% of hockey fans would disagree with you on this, but sure believe what you want.

If you read all my posts, you'd see that I said I would take Matthews over Draisaitl for the next 5 years, so its not like I'm a brain dead leaf hater, who goes against them 100% of the time. I can look at the topic objectively, and recognize when my guy is beaten. I can respect Matthews, and anyone who'd take him over Draisaitl.
You don't seem capable of that.

It is unfortunate that the most naive are often the loudest.
You're the class of poster that gives the other 90% of reasonable leaf fans a bad reputation.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No im asking:

Are those true?

In regards to Kadri, those stats are pretty darn good for a 3rd line C. He'd have more with a bigger role, which he would have on majority of NHL teams.

The Matthews 70 points thing is silly. It never got brought up when people dreamed of offersheets.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
That's the way with a lot of contracts. When Rielly signed his people thought 5 million was too much for him. Even last year, people did not view Kucherov's deal quite the same they do today.
I remember people thinking both Rielly and Kucherov were good deals the day they were signed

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
In regards to Kadri, those stats are pretty darn good for a 3rd line C. He'd have more with a bigger role, which he would have on majority of NHL teams.

The Matthews 70 points thing is silly. It never got brought up when people dreamed of offersheets.
I don't disagree. This poster is very immature (probably very young), doesn't hurt to push his buttons with the arbitrary 70 points thing.

Kadri is a damn good 2C imo

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
No im asking:

Are those true?

Im curious why you use pace in the context of Draisaitl Re: McDavid, but actual numbers with Matthews?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Matthews is a true elite franchise C. Haters are just lucky he gets such crappy TOI to hold back his stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad