Proposal: Do we go after Karlsson & Panarin next July if they become UFAs?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That simple, huh? Why doesn't Columbus just trade for Karlsson or Ottawa trade for Panarin? This isn't the NBA. Two players do not make you anything. There is no shortcut here.
You're right, it's not that simple. But your reasoning is kind of iffy.

Erik Karlsson just carried a mediocre roster to the ECF Game 7 last year.

Also, there are a ton of variables that could/would make acquiring Karlsson difficult for Columbus:
  1. NTC -- If Columbus is on his 10-team no-trade list, (I do not know if they are or not).
  2. Contract extension -- Columbus needs the cap space, (and money), to extend Karlsson.
  3. Insufficient trade assets -- Self-explanatory.
  4. Competition -- any amount of other teams may have better assets to trade, or have made better offers.
So, there are a lot of factors that complicate this. I would say that Karlsson may/may not instantly make Columbus a 'contender' is towards the bottom, and a little intangible. They made the playoffs this season. Jones-Werenski-Karlsson would be one of, if not the best top-3D in the league.

You need depth. The teams that win can roll out 4 lines and 3 d pairs without the drop off being like falling from a plane. Then they also have the game breaking talent to boot. Having two great guys with no support around them does not make you a contender at all, IMO.
This is not always the case. Teams often ride their best players (particularly top defensemen and centers) very hard in the playoffs. Chicago in 2015 might as well have had 4 defensemen on the roster. Vegas was carried to the SCF just a month ago by 1 forward line and a great goalie. Nashville did both of these a year ago. Doughty, Kopitar, Bergeron are always utterly relied on.

Again you're right that it doesn't work the same as the NBA, (at least whatever I hear through the grapevine about the NBA :laugh:), but don't go too far in the other direction with it.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Panarin comes to NHL from Russia and dominates for multiple seasons on two separate teams. He proves he's not just a product of Patrick Kane.

Panarin seemingly does the right thing and tips off his franchise that he is unlikely to sign an extension there, thereby allowing them to plan ahead and maybe not lose him for nothing ala JT.

The Athletic has an article detailing Panarin's rise out of poverty.

Media leaks that Panarin would prefer to play in a big city like NY or LA.

HFboards puts all the above information into its supercomputer hive mind and decides that Panarin is toxic and should not be signed because he clearly only wants to come to NY so he can hang out with Russian gangsters, wear nice suits and drive sportscars.

I love HF.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Panarin comes to NHL from Russia and dominates for multiple seasons on two separate teams. He proves he's not just a product of Patrick Kane.

Panarin seemingly does the right thing and tips off his franchise that he is unlikely to sign an extension there, thereby allowing them to plan ahead and maybe not lose him for nothing ala JT.

HFboards puts all the above information into its supercomputer hive mind and decides that Panarin is toxic and should not be signed because he clearly only wants to come to NY so he can hang out with Russian gangsters, wear nice suits and drive sportscars.

I love HF.

I love the Ferrari argument. Yeah, because he couldn't afford that before with his 6m annual salary :laugh:

Reactions: Inferno

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree that a lot can change over the course of a year, but I don't see how Buchnevich taking a step forward and Kratsov developing well changes the equation. Rangers haven't had a forward the caliber of Panarin since Jagr. If he hits the open market he immediately becomes priority #1.

I don't think that "the Rangers haven't had a player like X since Y" is the proper strategy for a rebuild. If the money is right and the fit is there, you explore it, but there's no need to force things along.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
When people talk about the "kids" and their development. Having Karlsson and Panarin on this team can only be beneficial, and for those worried about "we don't have much money if we have them ...
Next year's projected cap space is near 33M.

For argument sake:
Hayes 5.5M
Skjei 5M
Karlsson 11M
Panarin 9M

That's 30.5M signing your two big RFA's + the two stud UFA's.

2019/20 Cap space proj: $32,963,889
2020/21 Cap space proj: $47,838,889
2021/22 Cap space proj: $73,038,889 (Hank, Shatty, Staal, Smith, Kreider all off the books)

The cap will be in even better shape as the kids develop. In essence, Karlsson, Panarin, Zibanejed (if he extends), Kreider (if they keep him) will be the bulk of the big cap. So say EK 11M AAV, Panarin 9M AAV, Zibanejed if he breaks out - 8M AAV, Kreider 7M AAV, Hayes 5.5, AAV, and Skjei 5M AAV

That's 45.5M of the 80-85M cap.

You would essentially have 40M to pay your RFA's and ELC's from the kids. This is VERY attainable success.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
When people talk about the "kids" and their development. Having Karlsson and Panarin on this team can only be beneficial, and for those worried about "we don't have much money if we have them ...
Next year's projected cap space is near 33M.

For argument sake:
Hayes 5.5M
Skjei 5M
Karlsson 11M
Panarin 9M

That's 30.5M signing your two big RFA's + the two stud UFA's.

2019/20 Cap space proj: $32,963,889
2020/21 Cap space proj: $47,838,889
2021/22 Cap space proj: $73,038,889 (Hank, Shatty, Staal, Smith, Kreider all off the books)

The cap will be in even better shape as the kids develop. In essence, Karlsson, Panarin, Zibanejed (if he extends), Kreider (if they keep him) will be the bulk of the big cap. So say EK 11M AAV, Panarin 9M AAV, Zibanejed if he breaks out - 8M AAV, Kreider 7M AAV, Hayes 5.5, AAV, and Skjei 5M AAV

That's 45.5M of the 80-85M cap.

You would essentially have 40M to pay your RFA's and ELC's from the kids. This is VERY attainable success.
Are you taking into account Girardi's buyout and probably a Smith or Staal buyout?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

I love HF.

Go listen to the interview with Portzline, He brought up all of that stuff.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I don't understand the 'NYC has all these temptations' posts. Every city that hosts an NHL team has the same temptations and seedy areas, etc. Manhattan is a breeze to live in, especially if you're making 10mil a year.
And arguing with so and so who says we need depth to compete.
I guess Zucc, Hayes, Kreider, Names, Buch, Chytil, Spooner, Anderson, Skjei and Shattenkirk are not solid depth guys? Also we just had 3 1st round picks if I recall. 1 of them is bound to be a depth guy. Plus Howden and Hajek coming up. Maybe Ronning turns into Zucc. There's plenty of depth in the organization. Adding EK and Panarin puts us over the top.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If both hit UFA next summer and the Rangers have their 30M in cap space, I think we sign both.

Lots of ifs obviously, but exciting ones at that. One more lottery worthy season, maybe multiple first rounders again next year, one of which might be top 5, then injecting those two into the lineup? Sign me up right now.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Never change Rangers HFboards. Shiny new toy syndrome. Panarin doesn't want to live in Ohio. Let's go sign him.
He's the one who came out and said he's not talking contract extension w/ CBJ and then during the draft it was reported he's interested in Florida, LA or New York so this is completely warranted, it's not new toy syndrome.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's the one who came out and said he's not talking contract extension w/ CBJ and then during the draft it was reported he's interested in Florida, LA or New York so this is completely warranted, it's not new toy syndrome.

Yeah, but it's hipster to complain about everything

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

the fact that you have a realistic shot at the shiny new toy because it wants to come play at your house doesn't mean its not a shiny new toy :naughty:

Reactions: GregSirico

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad