Proposal: Do we go after Karlsson & Panarin next July if they become UFAs?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Listening to the Portzline interview on Sportsnet and he makes an interesting point about Panarin growing up very poor and he might be a guy who wants a taste of the glamorous life. Definitely would make sense to pick a place like NY in that case.

Would I sign him? Maybe. Depends on his asking price and what another year of development looks like for the kids. If Buch takes a big step forward and Kravstov lights up whatever league he's in, then maybe the money is better spent elsewhere. Or maybe you sign Panarin and trade a guy to bolster whatever weaknesses we have. A lot can happen in a year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There is no way EK is signing for 4 years. Elite players are 6 years minimum (maybe 5)
If we go 12.5-13.25 x 4 he gives us the 4.
don't expect he gets more if that elsewhere.
Now others will give more term for less $, but if takes his own risk and just does the 4 w/us, he would then be able to do another 3-4 yr term, and that will likely be at market rate. But he already maxed out for most $ on our deal.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
If we go 12.5-13.25 x 4 he gives us the 4.
don't expect he gets more if that elsewhere.
Now others will give more term for less $, but if takes his own risk and just does the 4 w/us, he would then be able to do another 3-4 yr term, and that will likely be at market rate. But he already maxed out for most $ on our deal.

No, he doesnt. It's nice to be hopeful and all but a player of his caliber will not take anything less than max term

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
If Karlsson is going to TB, I can't imagine that it's without an extension, so he almost certainly won't make UFA.

Panarin I'd bet will also be traded for a ton and extended by whatever team gets him. I'd guess the Kings unfortunately but I'd love to have him here.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Why does everyone assume Panarin will be traded?

CBJ is a quasi win now team. I don't think they're interested in trading Panarin for futures. If there is a trade to be made, I assume they'd want someone back who could help them right now plus others.

Jarmo may just be content with self renting the player this season and allowing him to get into UFA.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

CBJ is a quasi win now team. I don't think they're interested in trading Panarin for futures. If there is a trade to be made, I assume they'd want someone back who could help them right now plus others.

Jarmo may just be content with self renting the player this season and allowing him to get into UFA.

They aren’t according to every source connected to them that’s appeared on NHL Network Radio. They want rosters players that can contribute.

Reactions: Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Two words: John Tavares. If Panarin won't sign then they need to get something for him. Period. You can't invest that much in a player and lose them for free. Especially in a small market.

But it's been reported by a few people that they likely won't trade him for futures if they do decide to deal him. They could use help down the middle according to Portzline.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Two words: John Tavares. If Panarin won't sign then they need to get something for him. Period. You can't invest that much in a player and lose them for free. Especially in a small market.

But it's been reported by a few people that they likely won't trade him for futures if they do decide to deal him. They could use help down the middle according to Portzline.

I think we have some guys who may fit what they’re looking for.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think we have some guys who may fit what they’re looking for.

Not sure they're of the right pedigree. Hayes certainly helps but lacks the upside I think they'd be looking for.

The real hope for the Rangers is that Tampa, LA, and Chicago will be cash strapped and he'll kinda have no other choice.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Listening to the Portzline interview on Sportsnet and he makes an interesting point about Panarin growing up very poor and he might be a guy who wants a taste of the glamorous life. Definitely would make sense to pick a place like NY in that case.

Would I sign him? Maybe. Depends on his asking price and what another year of development looks like for the kids. If Buch takes a big step forward and Kravstov lights up whatever league he's in, then maybe the money is better spent elsewhere. Or maybe you sign Panarin and trade a guy to bolster whatever weaknesses we have. A lot can happen in a year.
I agree that a lot can change over the course of a year, but I don't see how Buchnevich taking a step forward and Kratsov developing well changes the equation. Rangers haven't had a forward the caliber of Panarin since Jagr. If he hits the open market he immediately becomes priority #1.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

I heard the same interview with Portzline and Rob Kerr. I afraid Panarin will lose his mind with big long term contract. More money than he ever dreamed of having. He wants the Ferrari. New York may not be the right city for him.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Hopefully,Columbus trades Panarin to a team he is willing to play for long term and the Rangers never get the opportunity to make the Panarin 7 year mistake next summer. Portzline believes Columbus will eventually trade Panarin before the season begins. They will get a signed roster player maybe 1 for 1 or a signed player plus younger assets.

Reactions: leetch99 and SML2

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I heard the same interview with Portzline and Rob Kerr. I afraid Panarin will lose his mind with big long term contract. More money than he ever dreamed of having. He wants the Ferrari. New York may not be the right city for him.
If that’s really the case, then we shouldn’t sign any player who wants over a million a year unless they grew up super rich.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Getting EK or Panarin at this point is like buying a brand new car when you're crashing on a friend's couch because you have no place to live. It's not the right move.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Panarin solidifies am organizational need too. Talent on the left side. I think kreider is a guy that stays here thru the rebuild and I also think Lias Andersson is a left winger and not a center but he may be a better option over the next few years on a third line as a two way player driving the other teams top lines crazy next to Brett Howden.

Panarin could play next to Chytil and buchnevich/Kravtsov for 7 or 8 years easily while kreider could play next to Zibanejad And the other for years.

Panarin would be a huge huge get at his age.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Getting EK or Panarin at this point is like buying a brand new car when you're crashing on a friend's couch because you have no place to live. It's not the right move.

Literally nothing like that. Rangers have a ton of talented young roster players and even more prospects, are rich, and are one of if not the most desirable franchise to go to for free agents.

We could be half way thru rebuilding with two moves like panarin and Karlsson. We could go get Seguin too if we wanted to

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Literally nothing like that. Rangers have a ton of talented young roster players and even more prospects, are rich, and are one of if not the most desirable franchise to go to for free agents.

We could be half way thru rebuilding with two moves like panarin and Karlsson. We could go get Seguin too if we wanted to
No he's right..it's almost completely like that...let's keep in mind that most prospects don't pan out...and even the ones that do aren't nearly as good as we were expecting them to be.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Why is Karlsson a car and not a house?

He’s a freak of nature. One of the best players of this generation should NEVER become an unrestricted free agent.

Last edited:

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016

Or they’re cornerstone players who will be the face of what you’ve already begun to build

Reactions: Kovalev27

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Panarin solidifies am organizational need too. Talent on the left side. I think kreider is a guy that stays here thru the rebuild and I also think Lias Andersson is a left winger and not a center but he may be a better option over the next few years on a third line as a two way player driving the other teams top lines crazy next to Brett Howden.

Panarin could play next to Chytil and buchnevich/Kravtsov for 7 or 8 years easily while kreider could play next to Zibanejad And the other for years.

Panarin would be a huge huge get at his age.
Started his NHL career with back-to-back 70+ point seasons and then goes to Columbus and drops 82. He's a guy that controls the flow of a game and has absolutely elite skill. He has no serious injury history in the NHL, and we'd sign him for his age 28-35 seasons. If you don't want to supplement this young core with a ridiculously talented player like Panarin, then this rebuild isn't gonna go well for you. None of them currently have a skill level that even comes close to Panarin, unless we somehow get Jack Hughes next year.

Oh, and if that's the case, imagine adding Panarin and having Jack Hughes on an ELC?

Reactions: Kovalev27

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
If we got panarin and ek next offseason, we would be instant contenders.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If we got panarin and ek next offseason, we would be instant contenders.
That simple, huh? Why doesn't Columbus just trade for Karlsson or Ottawa trade for Panarin? This isn't the NBA. Two players do not make you anything. There is no shortcut here. You need depth. The teams that win can roll out 4 lines and 3 d pairs without the drop off being like falling from a plane. Then they also have the game breaking talent to boot. Having two great guys with no support around them does not make you a contender at all, IMO.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
That simple, huh? Why doesn't Columbus just trade for Karlsson or Ottawa trade for Panarin? This isn't the NBA. Two players do not make you anything. There is no shortcut here. You need depth. The teams that win can roll out 4 lines and 3 d pairs without the drop off being like falling from a plane. Then they also have the game breaking talent to boot. Having two great guys with no support around them does not make you a contender at all, IMO.

You’re looking at it with one dimension. You need to look at the situation of those teams as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00