Proposal: Do we go after Karlsson & Panarin next July if they become UFAs?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You throw a blank check at either.Price doesn't matter.Both are elite studs in their prime.

No, you don’t. You don’t ruin your salary cap if it’s going to make a marginal difference towards winning the Stanley Cup. Neither player is going to make us favorites by themselves. We’ll need to see how the rest of the team takes shape in the next year.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
Yes, although as others have said it depends on how the kids play and how the draft shakes out. Our window looks very different if Chytil and Andersson combine for 100 points and we get Jack Hughes, that it does if Chytil hits a sophomore slump and we pick 8th. In the former case, I'd say we should say f*** it and pay (almost) whatever it takes to get Karlsson (if not both).

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
No, you don’t. You don’t ruin your salary cap if it’s going to make a marginal difference towards winning the Stanley Cup. Neither player is going to make us favorites by themselves. We’ll need to see how the rest of the team takes shape in the next year.
Look at the big picture.You sign EK65 and plug him on the 1st pair sliding Pionk down to the 2nd/3rd pair.its a win/win.Its not just only about improving the club but putting players in their best position to succeed.Getting an EK and Pan gives us the flexibility with our younger players to not force them to play in over their heads.Gives them the chance to come along at their own pace and not be rushed or pressured.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
$ is not irrelevant, but term is key
Panarin is 26 now 27 next year.
Try to keep it 5 years.
If we are keeping term short, gotta slightly overpay, that is the trade off.
expect 8.5 min but Pan will understand others gotta get paid too and will not press for much mo.

EK 4 years max
ask 12.5 but expect 13.25 max $ salary
this is fine esp if we are not taking on Ryan or similar cap dumps, per OP FA premise.
Only red flag on EK besides not aging overnight later [thus only 4 yr deal] is his ankles.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rebuilding is different here.

To be fair, if we ended up with a top pick next year (let's say we get a top three pick), sold off Zucc and some other assets, and then had a couple or so first round picks (let's say that Tampa wins the Cup and we get a third first rounder), would you be against trying to win after that? You see if you can squeeze the last bit of life out of Hank in that manner, you have a young core of six first rounders the last two years, you have the guys you traded for already . . . Would seem to me to be a good time to swing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
We aren't talking about Bobby Holik and ****ing Scott Gomez here.
Gomez also has a 80+ point season 2 years before we got him. Who is to say Panarin production doesn't fall after we sign him as well? Then we are looking pretty silly paying him 14M a season for another 6 years.

And who is to say Karlsson's injury issues don't get worse? Pretty silly to be paying a player 14M a season to only play 35 games and may or may not be available in the playoffs.

You don't just throw blank checks out at 7 years.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Ok thanks for your input Glen. It's Jeff's turn now. We have some lovely parting gifts for you.
People whine we dont have elite talent,here are 2 elite talents and now everyone wants to tighten up the purse strings.Tough crowd

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
$ is not irrelevant, but term is key
Panarin is 26 now 27 next year.
Try to keep it 5 years.
If we are keeping term short, gotta slightly overpay, that is the trade off.
expect 8.5 min but Pan will understand others gotta get paid too and will not press for much mo.

EK 4 years max
ask 12.5 but expect 13.25 max $ salary
this is fine esp if we are not taking on Ryan or similar cap dumps, per OP FA premise.
Only red flag on EK besides not aging overnight later [thus only 4 yr deal] is his ankles.

but Pan will understand others gotta get paid too and will not press for much mo. Sounds like a reasonable fella.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Karlsson would probably be the greatest Ufa to hit the market in my life time. Yes to both. I don't understand the no were rebuilding mindset. How long are we suppose to suck and keep "flexibility"? The purpose of cap flexibility is to be able to afford superstars like karlsson.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
To be fair, if we ended up with a top pick next year (let's say we get a top three pick), sold off Zucc and some other assets, and then had a couple or so first round picks (let's say that Tampa wins the Cup and we get a third first rounder), would you be against trying to win after that? You see if you can squeeze the last bit of life out of Hank in that manner, you have a young core of six first rounders the last two years, you have the guys you traded for already . . . Would seem to me to be a good time to swing.

This is exactly my stance...the Rangers being able to do this would be ideal. The timing isn’t quite right to do anything this summer. And I think they know that.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

If I were to venture a guess, that's the Rangers flight plan. They've stockpiled A LOT of young talent.

You add in the possibility 1-3 additional first round picks, including a high first round pick, and maybe a couple of prospects via trades or signings, and I think they're ready to roll again. If there are quality free agents out there, or even trades to be made, I believe the Rangers will be in on them.

My own concerns about EK's game over the next 5 years aside for a moment, it does change the conversation considerably when you're talking about signing guys rather than trading assets for them. Ideally, with the former, you're adding said player(s) to what you already have in place or emerging. That gives you both talent and depth, and not at the cost of either one.

There will always be people who want to go for it now are willing to assume the risk. There will always be others who lean to a more cautious approach and would be averse to big signings under many circumstances.

I don't think most people on here would be averse to signings next summer.

As I've repeatedly said, it's all about the timing, the context and the details. But the timing has to be there before anything else. I don't believe now is the ideal time, unless there's a no-brainer of a deal out there to be made. However, we can be in a very different place in a shade under a year from now.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
panarin can be had now. he wants out. hockey trade would be tough though- cost would be steep. if we want him, we would need to move on him or wait and sign him as an FA. assuming that chance comes.

JD won't let him walk and they arent winning this year so he's on the move for sure.

he's nearly 80 points per yr the last 3 yrs. 27 yrs old shooter. he's a guy i would make play for now doubt.

just heard interview on nhl radio and i agree with what was said. he wants out, won't sign long term in cbus and wants to go to a big city/big market team.

we have all that. he would be a good piece to add long term. 3-4 yrs solid production left.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
panarin can be had now. he wants out. hockey trade would be tough though- cost would be steep. if we want him, we would need to move on him or wait and sign him as an FA. assuming that chance comes.

JD won't let him walk and they arent winning this year so he's on the move for sure.

he's nearly 80 points per yr the last 3 yrs. 27 yrs old shooter. he's a guy i would make play for now doubt.

just heard interview on nhl radio and i agree with what was said. he wants out, won't sign long term in cbus and wants to go to a big city/big market team.

we have all that. he would be a good piece to add long term. 3-4 yrs solid production left.

Most of what I’ve heard or read is that Columbus wants roster players back, not picks or prospects. They believe they are a playoff team and want to build upon the last few years.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I imagine both guys get traded and extended. Most sensible move for all concerned. If they do reach UFA, can’t hurt to make offers to either. Though I ‘spect EK is the better choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad