Proposal: Do we go after Karlsson & Panarin next July if they become UFAs?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Most of what I’ve heard or read is that Columbus wants roster players back, not picks or prospects. They believe they are a playoff team and want to build upon the last few years.

agree.

maybe something around zucc/ vesey/ ryan gropp. that kinda thing.

he's one of the very few guys i would kick the tires on.

he's young. he's russian. he can score. he wants to go to big market. he's russian.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
but Pan will understand others gotta get paid too and will not press for much mo. Sounds like a reasonable fella.

up to a point on all sides it is.
Pan wants to come here partly b'c the environment and partly we suspect, b'c fan factor is enhanced if we are winning.

To begin upward trajectory and start winning, we need our prospects to work out and that is as to its own timetable.

But there must also be adequate player assets. While it is nice to get a guy on a hometown discount or discover a surprise [like Grabner was], basically there is a fixed amount of cap salary available for a limited number of guys. The mo paid per player the fewer total guys.

Of course, guys gotta get paid or they don't come over.

So the point is there is equilibrium as a force trying for balance.

Now Panarin can exacerbate things by saying he wants top top top dollar threatening he can get it elsewhere, or....
he can say, yeah, it's gotta be enough, close enough to top dollar that I am not underpaid, but it can be the bottom rung of what is acceptable range.

So if Pan can get more but takes 8, 8.5 per on a 4 year deal, that is still a win win and the 1.5 or so we save on him can be repurposed elsewhere.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Clearly. Not to mention the fact that there is zero chance those players are allowed to get to UFA status by their respective teams.

While the roster looks like this, neither of those players will make a difference.
I guess I'm a little surprised by the lack of patience and endless seeking for a shortcut (Kovalchuk, JT, EK). This is what people wanted. Ride the wave.

Or maybe people really didn't want this.

Reactions: Rangers_23

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I guess I'm a little surprised by the lack of patience and endless seeking for a shortcut (Kovalchuk, JT, EK). This is what people wanted. Ride the wave.

If the Rangers were to acquire EK today, I still think it would take them 2-4 years to become competitive. What I’d be banking on is that he would be a major contributor to that future competitive team.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Yes pls to Panarin
Just imagine
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov..
I’d give him 10x7 and he’d definitely want to come here, he’s said NY is a place he’d like to go and we have a shit ton of Russians as well

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
i doubt EK goes UFA. I'm only wary of signing him for one of those silly 7 year contracts. He'll be 29 next summer and I really look at it like at what age am I still ok with an $11M contract on him. He's offensively talented but he's no Niklas Lidstrom who was still a defensive force at 40. He'll probably end up more like Brian Leetch and end up as dead weight in the last two years of his contract. Having said that, EK good at 36? That's not too outrageous so I think that could work.

Panarin, let's get him. I'd send CLB Vesey, Hayes, Spooner, and a prospect for a signed Breadman. For just cash, then that seems like a no-brainer. Panarin is a puck magician. I hear his defense is not good though.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
If Panarin says he will only play in certain markets, can we please not get bent over in the deal like when MSL said he'd only play for us and we gave up more than he would have fetched had the whole league been in the running? I swear this team loves to bid against itself.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
panarin is getting moved. it makes too much sense. the want players back.

first, he's 26 yrs old and a 30/30/30 guy. he's not old and he's not broken.

second, he's russian. fits the narrative.

last, he wants to play in nyc. happy player = productive player.

he would instantly make us a way better team.

you gotta kick the tires.

panarin for zucc plus another name or 2 from this list

vesey
pionk
ADA
gropp
gilmour
day
ronning

they will ask for more with hakek and howden first on their list.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Absolutely you go after Panarin. He's young and in his prime. He would instantaneously be the best forward this team has had since Jagr. Yes, I know the team is rebuilding. But having Panarin on this team in 2-3 years, if the young players work out can potentially mean this team has the guns to be a real contender.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I would absolutely be in on Panarin. He d0es not have a lot of miles on him.

Karlsson is a toughie.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I wouldn't trade anything for a pending UFA. If someone like Seguin, Panarin, Karlsson reach UFA I would definitely kick the tires but I would not give any of them $12m per season for 7 years.

Panarin has said he wants to go to a big city, meaning NY, Chicago or LA. Unless he gets dealt to one of those teams, he goes to free agency. Columbus isn’t dealing him for prospects and picks. Unless, you can get him for a package that includes Zuccarello, I’d rather not part with assets to get him and just take my chances in free agency. I’m not even sure if I’d want to move Zuccarello for him, especially if you can get more assets for Zuccarello.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Panarin has said he wants to go to a big city, meaning NY, Chicago or LA. Unless he gets dealt to one of those teams, he goes to free agency. Columbus isn’t dealing him for prospects and picks. Unless, you can get him for a package that includes Zuccarello, I’d rather not part with assets to get him and just take my chances in free agency. I’m not even sure if I’d want to move Zuccarello for him, especially if you can get more assets for Zuccarello.

Would definitely do Zuccarello for Panarin. Would even toss in a 2nd and another roster player. Torts would love VEsey

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Or maybe people do want to rebuild but see adding assets for nothing but money as a part of it.

Kovalchuk for example. I liked the idea of getting him. Not because I couldn't bear to see a bad season, but because you add him for nothing but cash and then you move a current roster player for assets. The net is money for assets, which is exactly what a rebuilding team with all the money in the world should be willing to do.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I see more and more opposition to signing Karlsson. May I ask the opponents why? Is it age? Injury concerns? Attitude? I know that he's productive and had a nasty ankle (or was it heel?) injury a few years ago; I've also heard that his defensive game has improved substantially. Then again, though, I've seen him play only against us and, occasionally, on highlight reels.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think Panarin would be a great signing, but this topic is like 11 months too early maybe. :)

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
$ is not irrelevant, but term is key
Panarin is 26 now 27 next year.
Try to keep it 5 years.
If we are keeping term short, gotta slightly overpay, that is the trade off.
expect 8.5 min but Pan will understand others gotta get paid too and will not press for much mo.

EK 4 years max
ask 12.5 but expect 13.25 max $ salary
this is fine esp if we are not taking on Ryan or similar cap dumps, per OP FA premise.
Only red flag on EK besides not aging overnight later [thus only 4 yr deal] is his ankles.

There is no way EK is signing for 4 years. Elite players are 6 years minimum (maybe 5)

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Yes. Not going after and even overpaying these elite guys is how you end up in cap trouble when you start spending all your cap space by overpaying lesser players that have much smaller impacts. If you "overpay" an elite player it's not a big deal because you can always get cheap depth late in FA, in the AHL, or by trading mid round picks.

Reactions: Ori

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad