Proposal: Do we go after Karlsson & Panarin next July if they become UFAs?

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Long term contract. No pressure to perform. The guy wants the big life. Does he realize he needs to keep performing?

New York is not the right city for everyone. Too many temptations.

The guy has proven nothing but overcoming obstacles in his life, why are you so quick to make the assumption he’s going to dog it once he gets paid?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
What has this guy done for his character to be attacked like this?

Never change, RangerBoy.

Same to you. Never change.

Is the Rangers window still open? Did you forget all of your personal attacks because I felt the Rangers needed to break up the team and start over? I was a bad Rangers fan. What did Gorton do?

Is Panarin coming here to play hockey or run crazy in the bright lights of a big city? He wants to play in a big city with the fast car and his Russian model girlfriend. New York will swallow him up and spit him out with nothing left.

New York might not be the right city for him off the ice based on what Portzline said.

You are clueless as usual.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Is the Rangers window still open? Did you forget all of your personal attacks because I felt the Rangers needed to break up the team and start over? I was a bad Rangers fan. What did Gorton do?

Is Panarin coming here to play hockey or run crazy in the bright lights of a big city? He wants to play in a big city with the fast car and his Russian model girlfriend. New York will swallow him up and spit him out with nothing left.

New York might not be the right city for him off the ice based on what Portzline said.

Why can’t he play hockey and do those things?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

I didn't want to blow up the team before we were out of the race. They still haven't done what you want which is to trade everyone, espically Zuccarello who you personally hate.

I'm the clueless one yet your rambling on about a guy coming to N.Y. for a "fast car and a Russian model girlfriend" as if he couldn't get those things anywhere else.

The way you personally despise certain players with no basis for it is something else.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Have you ever been to Chicago? He was great there, in a huge city, living the "big city" life and he was playing with and probably running around town with Kane who perpetually lives the life of a college freshman.

Even Columbus isn't some nothing town. Aside from having pretty much everything any major US city has, OSU is in Columbus and is a gigantic school with tons of partying.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Have you ever been to Chicago? He was great there, in a huge city, living the "big city" life and he was playing with and probably running around town with Kane who perpetually lives the life of a college freshman.

Even Columbus isn't some nothing town. Aside from having pretty much everything any major US city has, OSU is in Columbus and is a gigantic school with tons of partying.

After playing for teams from St Petersburg and Chicago, I am sure he will be fine in NY

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Conveniently forgotten that Panarin lived in St.Petersburg for many years making a ton of money and being just as popular of a star there. And there’s not much in NY that would not be available there in terms of nightlife, temptations and excess. That really played a trick on Panarin’s career, yeah?

I don’t even mention two years in Chicago playing sidekick to Kane on and off the ice. Wait, @RangerBoy hasn’s found an obscure (but surely reliable) tweet yet that off-ice issues were why Panarin was traded to Columbus?

What a ridiculous length someone would go to to support this nonsense.

He lived in Moscow for even longer. Vityaz is a Moscow region team, and most of the team's players live in Greater Moscow. Panarin came there at age 12, he's used to live in huge megalopolices. And he's aware pretty well about their "temptations".

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
panarin would be the exact play this organization should make to move along the rebuild. all the arguments against him because nyc and money and cars and stuff is just insane.

adding an elite scoring winger- who's russian btw, in his prime with that resume and his desire to come here and play would be a grand slam. period.

hes not old. he's not broken. he's not kovy or nash or msl. he's nothing like those guys. he fits right in to a remake of this team. he adds talent and scoring and a desire to play here. hello ???

weve got assets and cash. you trade for him and sign him and build around him. waiting for him to become an FA means overpaying him and a very good chance of getting nothing. trading for him means moving assets- we have them now for a change for that exact purpose - getting better via trade. you wall off your top guys and make a list of the others available. thats how its done. you then make your best play,

its starts with zucc and vesey and ADA/pionk and go from there. theres a deal waiting to happen here. tavares just left for NADA.

this is all about competing and winning. nothing more. adding panarin makes us better now and in the future. no question.

guys like panarin dont come around often. for a reason. go get him.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The interesting thing here is it seems like every year we use the phrase...guys like him dont come around very often .

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Panarin has been surrounded by a ton of talent his entire career. He didn't play well when things soured in Chicago late two seasons ago. Lots of fans turned on him.

I don't think he's wired to carry a team. A lot of the younger guys are going to look towards him for leadership.

Love his skill but I don't think he's the guy to carry the franchise back to respectability. Karlsson is the complete opposite. That guy's played under nothing but adversity with next to no help and still played like an all star.

Reactions: Leetch3

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
I want to win another Cup in my lifetime and even though Panarin is a great player, I'd rather pay top dollar to a franchise center. Not to mention as good a player as Panarin is, he was tied for 46th in goal scoring. I don't want to pay the 46th best goal scorer Ovechkin money.

As for Kalrsson, I'd be more inclined to blow the bank on him than Panarin but I don't think you need to spend that kind of cash on a Dman to win a Cup...and in any event, I have to think he's extending with the team he gets traded to.

Reactions: Berserk

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Panarin has been surrounded by a ton of talent his entire career. He didn't play well when things soured in Chicago late two seasons ago. Lots of fans turned on him.

I don't think he's wired to carry a team. A lot of the younger guys are going to look towards him for leadership.

Love his skill but I don't think he's the guy to carry the franchise back to respectability. Karlsson is the complete opposite. That guy's played under nothing but adversity with next to no help and still played like an all star.

What are you talking about? He’s never had less than 74 points in a season.

And what elite players in Columbus are you referring to? Seth Jones (and you have stated numerous times you don’t believe in a d-man’s ability to greatly effect a team much) and no forward who broke 50 points.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

Things didn't 'sour' in Chicago until the last 10 games of the regular season (the season in which they finished on top of the Division and Conference) when they went 3-3-4 before getting blown away by Nashville. If you take the 10 games before that that they went 8-2....

In those last 10 games before the playoffs, Panarin went 7g-1a. There's more to hockey than scoring, but if that's him not playing well then I'd gladly sign him up. For reference, Kane went 2g-8a over the same period.

My memory gets hazy these days, but I'm pretty sure it was Panarin/Kane carrying that team all year, including at the end of the season. And when Nashville's awesome dfence managed to shut them down come playoff time, no-one else in the team could pick up the slack

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I'd rather pay top dollar to a franchise center..

But those only come on the market once every 30 years. This year it was JT. Last time was... almost Stamkos? Gretzky in 96??? Seriously, it doesnt happen. JT was essentially a one-time thing.

You only get top-end centers by drafting for them (Crosby, Malkin, Towes, Matthews, McD, Stamkos), or a stupid GM trades you one (Thorton, Seguin).

So if you are going to trow money at a player, you can really only spend it on a wing or a D.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
But those only come on the market once every 30 years. This year it was JT. Last time was... almost Stamkos? Gretzky in 96??? Seriously, it doesnt happen. JT was essentially a one-time thing.

You only get top-end centers by drafting for them (Crosby, Malkin, Towes, Matthews, McD, Stamkos), or a stupid GM trades you one (Thorton, Seguin).

So if you are going to trow money at a player, you can really only spend it on a wing or a D.

Yes. People think those players are available through free agency. But instead of Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Bergeron and Seguin, the players you can acquire through free agency are players like Paul Stastny

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Anybody against going after Panarin next offseason if he makes it to FA status is out to lunch. Sign me up for two top lines combinations of Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov and Anderson-Zib-Buchnevich.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad