Proposal: Do we go after Karlsson & Panarin next July if they become UFAs?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, I'm not convinced either that he's even a center. And certainly not a first line center yet. Maybe he can a 1B type of guy eventually, but I think he would only be the "1C" because thats the line he fits on. I don't actually have a problem with what "line" they are listed on, but Chytil should not be getting 1C minutes yet.

I still think this team needs to acquire a 1C and 1D. I'm hoping we suck this year, and draft one of those in the next draft. Something like this would be great planning, and maybe it gets us in contention to compete for the cup right after the lockout season when the Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, Hank's contracts come off the cap.

3 years down the road after the lockout season:

Chytil-Turcotte-Kravtsov
Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Kreider-Howden-Andersson
?-?-Fast
?

?-Pionk
Skjei-Lundkvist
Rykov-Hajek
Lindgren

Shestyorkin
Hank

Trades: Ship Hayes out, ship Zuccarello out. Get some more picks prospects. Give us more shots at acquiring needs of the team. Maybe we add another top 9 center, and it dines't even make sense to re-sign someone like Kreids. That could be a smart move to help out the cap, for example.

And if we don't draft a 1D by then, we could ship some picks, prospects (maybe Miller, some of the guys we acquire in Zucc, Hayes trades) out for a 1D, kind of like what we did in shipping McDonagh out, but the opposite. Bring that player in. Place that player on the top pair, and maybe that team can compete in 3 years.

It obviously requires luck, like getting one of the top picks and drafting top-flight centers like Turcotte, Newhook, Zegras, Cozens, etc. And there's no guarantee we sign Panarin or that the young defensemen develop. As that team currently appears, I don't see even a 2D in that mix. I think we might have 5 middle pairing D in that mix. Good depth, but a lack of top-end guys. Will Hank be brought back when his contract is over? If not, we still have options like Geo, Huska, Lindbom, Wall, so we don't need Hank to return, but maybe he does.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
But those only come on the market once every 30 years. This year it was JT. Last time was... almost Stamkos? Gretzky in 96??? Seriously, it doesnt happen. JT was essentially a one-time thing.

You only get top-end centers by drafting for them (Crosby, Malkin, Towes, Matthews, McD, Stamkos), or a stupid GM trades you one (Thorton, Seguin).

So if you are going to trow money at a player, you can really only spend it on a wing or a D.

You might be right but since it's easier to find wingers, I'll hold onto the $$ and remember that there is no shortage of stupid GM's.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Something wrong with a line of Kreider-Howden-?someone like Ronning down the line? Having Kreider on the 3rd line isn't a bad thing you silly goose.

Why are we getting rid of the most productive line we've had in years? Andersson can play on the third line. He's not mandated to play in the top 6 because he was a top 10 pick.

Reactions: charliemurphy

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Why are we getting rid of the most productive line we've had in years? Andersson can play on the third line. He's not mandated to play in the top 6 because he was a top 10 pick.
This isn't personal and probably wouldn't be happening this season. 2-3 seasons down the road if Panarin were in the mix... again, Kreider moving down to the 3rd line wouldn't be a bad thing if it meant finally having two top scoring lines.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yeah, I'm not convinced either that he's even a center. And certainly not a first line center yet. Maybe he can a 1B type of guy eventually, but I think he would only be the "1C" because thats the line he fits on. I don't actually have a problem with what "line" they are listed on, but Chytil should not be getting 1C minutes yet.

I still think this team needs to acquire a 1C and 1D. I'm hoping we suck this year, and draft one of those in the next draft. Something like this would be great planning, and maybe it gets us in contention to compete for the cup right after the lockout season when the Staal, Shattenkirk, Smith, Hank's contracts come off the cap.

3 years down the road after the lockout season:

Chytil-Turcotte-Kravtsov
Panarin-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Kreider-Howden-Andersson
?-?-Fast
?

?-Pionk
Skjei-Lundkvist
Rykov-Hajek
Lindgren

Shestyorkin
Hank

Trades: Ship Hayes out, ship Zuccarello out. Get some more picks prospects. Give us more shots at acquiring needs of the team. Maybe we add another top 9 center, and it dines't even make sense to re-sign someone like Kreids. That could be a smart move to help out the cap, for example.

And if we don't draft a 1D by then, we could ship some picks, prospects (maybe Miller, some of the guys we acquire in Zucc, Hayes trades) out for a 1D, kind of like what we did in shipping McDonagh out, but the opposite. Bring that player in. Place that player on the top pair, and maybe that team can compete in 3 years.

It obviously requires luck, like getting one of the top picks and drafting top-flight centers like Turcotte, Newhook, Zegras, Cozens, etc. And there's no guarantee we sign Panarin or that the young defensemen develop. As that team currently appears, I don't see even a 2D in that mix. I think we might have 5 middle pairing D in that mix. Good depth, but a lack of top-end guys. Will Hank be brought back when his contract is over? If not, we still have options like Geo, Huska, Lindbom, Wall, so we don't need Hank to return, but maybe he does.

Glad you're giving Miller a chance lol.
I know some are not high on him here but in 3 years if he hits anywhere near his ceiling he will not be traded or even thought about being traded.
After watching Chytil do what he did in the AHL its hard not to give him a chance at center. If he continues to develop he certainly can be a 1C. Of course I'm not against drafting one of the "elite" centers coming out in 2019. If that happens then I guess we shall see what happens with our center depth of Zibs-hayes-Chytil-Lias-Howden.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Chytil almost certainly can not be a real 1C. Maybe a top 31 center, but the Rangers have had a number of those over the last couple of years, and the fans always complain about them.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Chytil almost certainly can not be a real 1C. Maybe a top 31 center, but the Rangers have had a number of those over the last couple of years, and the fans always complain about them.

Nobody knows for sure what he can become. I'm sure most didn't expect Kopitar to become what he is now at 18 years old. I would put my money on the fact that Chytil is ahead of Zib and Stepan were at 18 years of age.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nobody knows for sure what he can become. I'm sure most didn't expect Kopitar to become what he is now at 18 years old. I would put my money on the fact that Chytil is ahead of Zib and Stepan were at 18 years of age.

You are probably right about Chytil in comparison to those two, but neither of those guys are regarded as "1C's" when people speak about the top-tier instead of just the top 31. The top tier are usually 60-70 point players their first season or two. Chytil has a good chance to put up those numbers in his prime, but its unlikely he or anyone on the team will be good enough to be in the elite tier of centers around the NHL. The Rangers need to add one of those players. We can't bank on getting that from Chytil or Andersson. If Gorton and co. are going to refuse to draft a center next year because they don't want to make it seem like their two center picks in 2017 won't become 1's, they are doing a disservice to the hockey club. The Rangers need elite forwards and elite defensemen. They have depth covered. Now its a matter of acquiring elite talent.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
PB is the expert on every prospect born since 2010. If he's reasonably certain of something, we should just accept it as fact.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You are probably right about Chytil in comparison to those two, but neither of those guys are regarded as "1C's" when people speak about the top-tier instead of just the top 31. The top tier are usually 60-70 point players their first season or two. Chytil has a good chance to put up those numbers in his prime, but its unlikely he or anyone on the team will be good enough to be in the elite tier of centers around the NHL. The Rangers need to add one of those players. We can't bank on getting that from Chytil or Andersson. If Gorton and co. are going to refuse to draft a center next year because they don't want to make it seem like their two center picks in 2017 won't become 1's, they are doing a disservice to the hockey club. The Rangers need elite forwards and elite defensemen. They have depth covered. Now its a matter of acquiring elite talent.
For sure. If the Rangers are bad enough and lucky enough to get an elite player coming out of the 2019 draft then they need to do that. If that happens to be the center position than so be it. I have no problem With Hughes/Newhook and Chytil forming an amazing 1-2 center punch for the next decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad