GDT: Devils vs. Penguins - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Kinkaid was good last night and was good against the Islanders.

Kinkaid, for the most part overall, has not been nearly good enough this season for the Devils.

You are allowed to have both of these thoughts simultaneously.

Say what you want about Kinkaid but as I noted earlier in the thread. He is 4 good performances away from having the same season as Schneider. His last 6 games has vindicated him of all the hate this board directed at him.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Say what you want about Kinkaid but as I noted earlier in the thread. He is 4 good performances away from having the same season as Schneider. His last 6 games has vindicated him of all the hate this board directed at him.

His last 6 game have been much better, that doesn’t change that he cost us a lot of points. This erases nothing, it just shows how wildly inconsistent he is if anything. He has cost us more points than he’s won us. We win in spite of him on some nights. Last night was not one of those nights but it doesn’t change the fact that he has cost us multiple games.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

even after these 2 past good games, he has the 6th worst SV% and 11th worst GAA in the league

like I said, good past few games, bad overall before that. Not rocket science.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
His last 6 game have been much better, that doesn’t change that he cost us a lot of points. This erases nothing, it just shows how wildly inconsistent he is if anything. He has cost us more points than he’s won us. We win in spite of him on some nights. Last night was not one of those nights but it doesn’t change the fact that he has cost us multiple games.

Same can be said about Schneider's season and Kinkaid is our backup. Both goalies save % is .008 below their career averages. The facts don't lie. Even the advanced stats are pretty similar. The only thing Kinkaid has really struggled is MDS% but he's played much better as of late.

15-8-2 He has not cost us as many points as you think. This board has always been insufferably hard on him.

Reactions: MartyOwns

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Would you say that Kinkaid is good at gloving pucks out of traffic and stopping play?

I feel like there are a lot of pucks thrown at the net with opposition in front and he is able to gobble it up to end the threat.

Even vs the Isles where he grabs the puck with his blocker hand.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Same can be said about Schneider's season and Kinkaid is our backup. Both goalies save % is .008 below their career averages. The facts don't lie. Even the advanced stats are pretty similar. The only thing Kinkaid has really struggled is MDS% but he's played much better as of late.

15-8-2 He has not cost us as many points as you think. This board has always been insufferably hard on him.
This board loves it's whipping boys.

Reactions: MartyOwns

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
This is the past 2 seasons:

iIx49QX.png

I do not expect Schneider to play world's above Kinkaid over long stretches on this team.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think it's fair to say Kink needs to work on his consistency. He's so laid back that at times he loses his edge.

Very different then Cory in that way. I feel Schneids plays a little too tight.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh

About Schneider: sure, I think we all agree he has to play better also. Having two below average goalies is bad. I know @Bleedred does a better job of tracking this stuff, but I don’t really need to see his wins to know that we are winning some in spite of him and losing because of him. Not as much as previously but he still has 6 games under a .900 sv% since Schneider went down. That’s half of the games. That’s simply unacceptable. We shouldn’t be signing his praises because he’s not abysmal anymore.

Credit where credit is due, he’s been better but to praise him on the year would be revisionist history.

Reactions: mtnet

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
if you think 6th worst GAA in the league is "perfectly fine" then sure

However, I don't

I think 15 wins and playing the way he has over the past 6 games is perfectly fine. I could care less about where he is compared to the rest of the league. As I posted above, over the past 2 seasons his stats are nearly identical to Schneider's.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
About Schneider: sure, I think we all agree he has to play better also. Having two below average goalies is bad. I know @Bleedred does a better job of tracking this stuff, but I don’t really need to see his wins to know that we are winning some in spite of him and losing because of him. Not as much as previously but he still has 6 games under a .900 sv% since Schneider went down. That’s half of the games. That’s simply unacceptable. We shouldn’t be signing his praises because he’s not abysmal anymore.

Credit where credit is due, he’s been better but to praise him on the year would be revisionist history.

No it wouldn't. He's just simply moving back to the mean of his averages. He had a lot of bad games sure but now he's having a lot of good games. The difference between him and Cory over TWO seasons not just 20 games is very small.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think 15 wins and playing the way he has over the past 6 games is perfectly fine. I could care less about where he is compared to the rest of the league. As I posted above, over the past 2 seasons his stats are nearly identical to Schneider's.

wins are a team stat.

we don't need to go down that rabbit hole, though.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
No it wouldn't. He's just simply moving back to the mean of his averages. He had a lot of bad games sure but now he's having a lot of good games. The difference between him and Cory over TWO seasons not just 20 games is very small.

He’s still at .903 with is bad. Being .008 off is a lot. It’s actually a really significant amount off. It’s 8 goals over 100 shots.

You’re the only one comparing the goalies, in reference to Kinkaid, I don’t care how good or bad Schneider is. In a vacuum, Kinkaid has been bad but better recently. Schneider hasn’t been good either, I just think comparing the two doesn’t really make sense.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I love how he keeps bagging on Edmonton with the 'meaningless hockey' meme whenever asked about his time there

Never change Taylor Hall =)

They're also playing meaningless hockey as we speak, which I'm sure is in the back of Taylor's mind whenever he speaks of his time there. Kicking them while they're down, I love it :)

Reactions: mtnet

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He’s still at .903 with is bad. Being .008 off is a lot. It’s actually a really significant amount off. It’s 8 goals over 100 shots.

You’re the only one comparing the goalies, in reference to Kinkaid, I don’t care how good or bad Schneider is. In a vacuum, Kinkaid has been bad but better recently. Schneider hasn’t been good either, I just think comparing the two doesn’t really make sense.

Isn’t that 8 goals over 1000 shots?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Actually 8 goals over 1000 shots. 35ish games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad