GDT: Devils vs. Penguins - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Just can’t say enough about Hall. I mean we knew he was excellent before he got here but holy shit has he reached another level as a player. It’s just beautiful to watch. If he keeps this up, I honestly don’t know how he can be denied the Hart this season. I think he has a little more help here than the team is given credit for but I can’t imagine any other player in this league being more important to their team than him. Just incredible what he’s been able to do this year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just can’t say enough about Hall. I mean we knew he was excellent before he got here but holy **** has he reached another level as a player. It’s just beautiful to watch. If he keeps this up, I honestly don’t know how he can be denied the Hart this season. I think he has a little more help here than the team is given credit for but I can’t imagine any other player in this league being more important to their team than him. Just incredible what he’s been able to do this year.
I can’t believe we got him for Adam Larsson, who has since been replaced by Sami Vatanen.

I hope everyone here knows that this was the most unfair trade of possibly the entire millennium and we’re the beneficiaries of it. I call BS on “Adam Larsson is worth 13 more points in the standings and 20-30 fewer goals a year” or whatever the dumb claim was.

And this is probably the best season a Devil has had since Elias in 2001.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Just can’t say enough about Hall. I mean we knew he was excellent before he got here but holy **** has he reached another level as a player. It’s just beautiful to watch. If he keeps this up, I honestly don’t know how he can be denied the Hart this season. I think he has a little more help here than the team is given credit for but I can’t imagine any other player in this league being more important to their team than him. Just incredible what he’s been able to do this year.

He's definitely getting more help than people (mostly outside this board) say he's getting, I agree there. For a bunch of games during that almost slump, he was holding the team up, but he absolutley hasn't been alone this season.

Hall is definitely at a pinnacle of his game (that anyone has ever seen from him thus far).... I just wonder if there is even more UP to his game and how much higher can the peak get....

We haven't had a gamebreaker for a a number of few years *cough cough*, and this one (Hall) is extremely efficient and determined. Obviously different, in different ways than the "last one", but i would safely say that Hall is either equally or more effectively consistent on on a game to game basis compared to the "last one", particularly at ES. If he keeps this up, I can't see how he won't be in consideration for Hart (serious consideration).

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I hope everyone here knows that this was the most unfair trade of possibly the entire millennium and we’re the beneficiaries of it. I call BS on “Adam Larsson is worth 13 more points in the standings and 20-30 fewer goals a year” or whatever the dumb claim was.
I disagree. The trade that sent Gomez from the Rags to the Habs has it beat. This is a distant 2nd :)

Reactions: OmNomNom

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014

It’s funny, I was driving up the parkway when my buddy blew up my phone about the trade and I legit pulled into the nearest rest stop to take everything in. And honestly at first thought I wasn’t crazy about dealing Larsson away as much as I liked getting Hall at the time. Well let’s just say I couldn’t be happier to be dead wrong, he’s been otherworldly this season. My buddy gives me s*** every single time he extends the streak :laugh:

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
I can’t believe we got him for Adam Larsson, who has since been replaced by Sami Vatanen.

And this is probably the best season a Devil has had since Elias in 2001.
If we're only looking at stats, Zachs 94 point season and Gios 48 goals probably have him beat. What Hall is doing right now is more impressive than both those guys though. He is playing like the best offensive talent we have ever had. Kovy included.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I disagree. The trade that sent Gomez from the Rags to the Habs has it beat. This is a distant 2nd :)
I don’t think so. Everybody keeps saying that one, but that one didn’t look bad until Gomez fell off a cliff a year or two later.

This one was dumb from the start. “What makes a 12th overall pick from two years ago worth a first line center? Gomez has a rough contract to absorb, but seems like a decent value right now’”. Now that’s how to think about it in 2009.

Now “What makes Adam Larsson worth Taylor Hall? Because he was picked 4th overall the year after Hall was picked 1st overall? We have a fairly injury prone, but very dynamic 70-ish point 24 year old, so that’s a worth a 23 year old that is not even really a top 2 defenseman?”.

See where I’m going with this? Gomez/McDonagh looks bad in hindsight, but Hall for Larsson looks bad in both hindsight and the day it was made. Gomez for McDonagh never looked so bad the day it happened in June of 2009. McDonagh didn’t even make the NHL until over a year later.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don’t think so. Everybody keeps saying that one, but that one didn’t look bad until Gomez fell off a cliff a year or two later.

This one was dumb from the start. “What makes a 12th overall pick from two years ago worth a first line center? Gomez has a rough contract to absorb, but seems like a decent value right now’”. Now that’s how to think about it in 2009.

Now “What makes Adam Larsson worth Taylor Hall? Because he was picked 4th overall the year after Hall was picked 1st overall? We have a fairly injury prone, but very dynamic 70-ish point 24 year old, so that’s a worth a 23 year old that is not even really a top 2 defenseman?”.

See where I’m going with this? Gomez/McDonagh looks bad in hindsight, but Hall for Larsson looks bad in both hindsight and the day it was made. Gomez for McDonagh never looked so bad the day it happened in June of 2009. McDonagh didn’t even make the NHL until over a year later.
Gomez was being severely overpaid. I remember at the time wondering how the Rags would get out of that contract, then boom. On top of that, they got some ridiculous prospects including McDoughnut.

There were many that though Larsson was a first line D ( mean, that was his role with us that year). We still had visions of him becoming the next Hedman.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
If we're only looking at stats, Zachs 94 point season and Gios 48 goals probably have him beat. What Hall is doing right now is more impressive than both those guys though. He is playing like the best offensive talent we have ever had. Kovy included.

Those were incredible seasons by Gionta and Parise, though just by watching the players Hall at his peak right now is more impressive as a pure offensive talent than Parise.

Stevens is our all time season assists leader with 60. Hall has 41 with 19 games to go. Tying or passing #4 is certainly possible

If Hall didn't miss those 6 games due to injury he probably would have 74-75 points right now. We may be talking about him tying or surpassing Patty's 96 in 2001.

100 is a bit of a stretch but if there was ever a year for a Devils to finally score 100 it's next year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zach might, but since Gio’s season was 05-06, I would put that behind Hall right now. That season had a lot of scoring with the handing out of power plays after the lockout.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Gomez was being severely overpaid. I remember at the time wondering how the Rags would get out of that contract, then boom. On top of that, they got some ridiculous prospects including McDoughnut.

There were many that though Larsson was a first line D ( mean, that was his role with us that year). We still had visions of him becoming the next Hedman.

Larsson is still going to turn in a quality NHL career. But there were plenty of red flags when he was here that had some worried he was never going to be great. His skating was always average. He never had a shot that anybody feared. Pretty good passer but, not elite vision. Even late in year 1 (11-12) I was just waiting for Larsson to do something to wow me but he never did. And to this day he hasn't

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Hall will be our first 100 point player if he plays a full 82. Nico is only going to get better and those two are going to dominate.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Larsson is still going to turn in a quality NHL career. But there were plenty of red flags when he was here that had some worried he was never going to be great. His skating was always average. He never had a shot that anybody feared. Pretty good passer but, not elite vision. Even late in year 1 (11-12) I was just waiting for Larsson to do something to wow me but he never did. And to this day he hasn't
Oh, no question there were red flags, and that it was a horrible trade on their part. I just feel that the Gomez trade was worse.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Oh, no question there were red flags, and that it was a horrible trade on their part. I just feel that the Gomez trade was worse.

And the Rags, after being gifted McDonagh (and got a nice run from him) never won that Cup and traded him, at 28. They will regret that. What they got back from Tampa isn't garbage, but it should've been more for him AND J.T. Miller

Reactions: Bleedred

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So after all the debate in the other thread on who we'd want to meet in the 1st round, I really don't want to play the Pens. I'm not sure my heart could take it.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Give me Pittsburgh in the playoffs instead of Washington. We don't match up well with the Caps.

Flyers I have no fear of. Boston has had our number of late. Would rather avoid them.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad