GDT: Devils vs. Penguins - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
kinkaid has played very good the last two games no doubt about that. however he still sucks horribly and he shouldn't be on this team next year you can throw whatever numbers you want at me i dont care he is horrible and shouldn't be on a team competing for playoff spots.

huge win last night and showed the character of a playoff team. they were definitely hanging on at the end and got lucky that crosby rebound went off the skate of greene accidentally but whatever you earn those breaks.

nhl really should change their challenge system. the first goal last night was close enough for interference for the nhl to take it upon themselves to review the goal. just like in the nfl if its a close scoring play they review it a coach doesn't have to challenge it. mainly you can't force a coach into using his only challenge in the game (if he gets it wrong) super early in the game. what may look convincing to us isn't always overturned and you can lose your only chance at a challenge not to mention your only time out? heck the nfl gives you at the least 2 challenges to use the entire game. maybe the nhl should refresh timeouts every period? or eliminate the need to have a timeout to challenge? the penalty for a bad challenge is a 2min delay of game?

Reactions: mtnet

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
He’s still at .903 with is bad. Being .008 off is a lot. It’s actually a really significant amount off. It’s 8 goals over 100 shots.

You’re the only one comparing the goalies, in reference to Kinkaid, I don’t care how good or bad Schneider is. In a vacuum, Kinkaid has been bad but better recently. Schneider hasn’t been good either, I just think comparing the two doesn’t really make sense.
8/1000***

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's kind of a shame that Schneider is coming back when Kinkaid is playing at his best. 4-1-0 in his last five with a .943, that's excellent. But he really had some stinkers earlier in the year and directly cost us some point in the standings.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It's kind of a shame that Schneider is coming back when Kinkaid is playing at his best. 4-1-0 in his last five with a .943, that's excellent. But he really had some stinkers earlier in the year and directly cost us some point in the standings.
Ride the hot hand until they lose. Then Cory should go in.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I'd be down with starting Kink until he falters, especially with Cory coming off the injury. I'm feeling concerned getting Cory in at the first possible chance just because I'm leery of whether or not he can play at full capacity despite the Bing win last night. I'd say KK earned another start last night. I'm not going to get upset over who starts and when either way though.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
wins are a team stat.

we don't need to go down that rabbit hole, though.

and losses are a kinkaid stat.

and it matters comparing the two goalies on the same team over the past two seasons. when they have nearly identical expected save %s and save %s over 50+ games. but sure hyper focus on the bad games kinkaid has had and wait for cory to play head and shoulders above kinkaid when the numbers dont back that up.

Reactions: MartyOwns

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I think you have to put aside the earlier bad performances for the moment. I don’t doubt he will falter again but right now he is the hot hand and the team is bringing back a goalie with a problemic injury. Hopefully Corey feels good after last night’s test run but I’m not sure a few more days off wouldn’t be helpful. If Kinkaid stinks next game then you start leaning heavily on Schneider which the team will have to do anyway in the playoffs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Losses are a team stat too. Blaming a goalie in a 1-0 loss is just as sketchy as giving them credit in a 7-5 win. KK has played well his last few starts and wasn’t earlier in the year, I don’t see why this is so difficult to understand.

There’s a reason Hynes was publicly challenging his goalies on a couple of occasions in the last few weeks.

Reactions: mtnet and Bleedred

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
and losses are a kinkaid stat.

and it matters comparing the two goalies on the same team over the past two seasons. when they have nearly identical expected save %s and save %s over 50+ games. but sure hyper focus on the bad games kinkaid has had and wait for cory to play head and shoulders above kinkaid when the numbers dont back that up.

You are missing the fact that most people here will admit that Schneider was not good overall last year. So comparing the two and thinking you're "winning" this argument by saying that doesn't make any sense.

Schneider is our starter and is much better than Kinkaid. Kinkaid was not good for the majority of this season but has been pretty good recently.

Like I said, we don't need to go into it more than that. Thats all that needs to be said.

Reactions: mtnet

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Losses are a team stat too. Blaming a goalie in a 1-0 loss is just as sketchy as giving them credit in a 7-5 win. KK has played well his last few starts and wasn’t earlier in the year, I don’t see why this is so difficult to understand.

right and over two seaso s he has played nearly identical to schneider. not so sure whats difficult to understand about that. im just tampering expectations for when schneider comes back.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Lol. Why is there a Kinkaid debate? We just beat the Penguins.

cause of crap like this

kinkaid has played very good the last two games no doubt about that. however he still sucks horribly and he shouldn't be on this team next year you can throw whatever numbers you want at me i dont care he is horrible and shouldn't be on a team competing for playoff spots.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Any time someone brings up wins as being necessarily indicative of a goalie playing well, I bring up how Nabokov was robbed of the Vezina from Marty in 07-08, despite having two more wins in one fewer start than Marty did that year.

I’m kidding when I say robbed. Marty absolutely should have won the Vezina over Nabokov that year, as he was a much better goaltender. I used to laugh when someone would argue that Nabokov should have won it over Marty. Nabokov was not even the best player on his team that year. Marty absolutely was. We won all those games because of Marty that year. The Sharks won much fewer games directly because of Nabokov than we won because of Marty. 07-08 was an MVP season from Marty and arguably the best of his career, while 07-08 was just an okay season from Nabokov and not nearly the best of his career.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
most people that I have seen have given props to Kinkaid for his good play of late

but apparently that isn't enough for the "Kinkaid supporters" for whatever reason

because he currently has the best 6 game stretch of any of our goalies this season and we still see crap like "get him off this team"

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Perhaps Kinkaid is a goalie that thrives in a heavier workload. Not every goalie can sit for 5-10 games and come in to play a good game. It's one of the reasons I thought Terreri was a good backup.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kinkaid just had his two best starts of the season in crucial swing games.

But, you know, start Lack.
While I don’t think these last several starts have made me say that Kinkaid has had a very good season, I think between them and Lack having a much greater suckage per start percentage ratio (a made up stat by me) on the season, I think it’s safe to say that we don’t need to argue that Lack might be better anymore. He had one great start against the Lightning (with a couple bad goals in that game) and one really terrible start against Boston, which probably cost us at least a point and that game against Minnesota where he allowed that backbreaking game winner that ended up being the difference in the game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Perhaps Kinkaid is a goalie that thrives in a heavier workload. Not every goalie can sit for 5-10 games and come in to play a good game. It's one of the reasons I thought Terreri was a good backup.
I think he plays better when he doesn’t play frequently. That doesn’t mean that he’s never played well when playing frequently, but I remember thinking the same thing last year.

He’d have a monster game, then he’d get thrown back in the very next game 2-3 days later and get destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad