GDT: Devils vs. Penguins - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Marty absolutely should have won the Vezina over Nabokov that year, as he was a much better goaltender. I used to laugh when someone would argue that Nabokov should have won it over Marty. Nabokov was not even the best player on his team that year. Marty absolutely was. We won all those games because of Marty that year. The Sharks won much fewer games directly because of Nabokov than we won because of Marty. 07-08 was an MVP season from Marty and arguably the best of his career, while 07-08 was just an okay season from Nabokov and not nearly the best of his career.

2003 Conn Smythe.

Reactions: Bleedred

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
um, no.

Cory in mid to late December is better than what Kinkaid has been doing the past few games

thats debatable

Kinkaid is 5-1 with a .933 over his last 6 all against against our Metro opponents. Thats 10 points we've picked up against our playoff seed competition.

He's stolen 3 of those games as well. Carolina, Islanders, Pittsburgh.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Lol. Why is there a Kinkaid debate? We just beat the Penguins.

1jreqo.jpg

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
thats debatable

Kinkaid is 5-1 with a .933 over his last 6 all against against our Metro opponents. Thats 10 points we've picked up against our playoff seed competition.

Schneider from 12-12 to 12-27
7 games played, 6-0-1, .937 SV%, 1.83 GAA

Kinkaid recently:
6 games played, 5-1-0, .933 SV%, 2.12 GAA

so, yes....not really debatable.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017

Kinkaid recently:

lol thats close and every game kinkaid has played has been a playoff type game as opposed to MTL, CHI, DET, NYR. but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
lol thats close and every game kinkaid has played has been a playoff type game as opposed to MTL, CHI, DET, NYR. but whatever helps you sleep at night.

I sleep fine at night, thank you for asking

I just don't fathom someone would try to defend an average at best backup goaltender and imply that he is on the same level as Cory Schneider

doesn't compute to me, but to each their own I guess?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
and we also scored 27 goals in 7 games (3.86 for)

as opposed 19 in 6 (3.16)

It's almost as it's debatable considering how crucial these points are at this time of year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
and we also scored 27 goals in 7 games (3.86 for)

as opposed 19 in 6 (3.16)

It's almost as it's debatable considering how crucial these points are at this time of year.

points this time of year are worth the same as points in December, last time I checked

I bet you thought Marty was better than Cory in the year where they split because Marty "won more games", huh

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
I sleep fine at night, thank you for asking

I just don't fathom someone would try to defend an average at best backup goaltender and imply that he is on the same level as Cory Schneider

doesn't compute to me, but to each their own I guess?

i never said he is on the same level. Although cory's level has been below average for a starter for the past two seasons and kinkaid has been about average for a backup and below average for a starter.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
points this time of year are worth the same as points in December, last time I checked

I bet you thought Marty was better than Cory in the year where they split because Marty "won more games", huh

2 points against CHI are not the same as 2 points against a team you're battling for a playoff seed.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
im not debating kinkaid vs cory. im debating the narrative that kinkaid has been one of the worst goalies in the NHL this season and is not a capable backup. im showing that even our starter has been subpar so maybe it has something to do with our style of play and team defense?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
im not debating kinkaid vs cory. im debating the narrative that kinkaid has been one of the worst goalies in the NHL this season and is not a capable backup. im showing that even our starter has been subpar so maybe it has something to do with our style of play and team defense?
Kinkaid has been one of the worst goalies in the NHL this season. If he didn’t have this great stretch that would be 100% clear. His hot stretch has given him at least passable numbers. That’s great! Kinkaid seems like a good dude and I would be happy if he played so well that he’d put Cory on the bench. But he isn’t very good and that’s not going to happen.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

6th worst SV% in the NHL
11th worst GAA in the NHL

we have different definitions of "capable backup", my man

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Kinkaid recently:

This debate has gotta been the silliest one I've seen on here in a while.

WHO CARES. Kinkaid deserves some credit for putting up some great games against strong scoring opposition.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This debate has gotta been the silliest one I've seen on here in a while.

WHO CARES. Kinkaid deserves some credit for putting up some great games against strong scoring opposition.

I gave him credit for his past few games, multiple times

what I am arguing against is that Kinkaid has been a "capable backup". He has not, overall, IMO.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Kinkaid was good last night and was good against the Islanders.

Kinkaid, for the most part overall, has not been nearly good enough this season for the Devils.

You are allowed to have both of these thoughts simultaneously.

Fallacy, supported only by SV% and a short terrible stretch that was the result of terrible defense in front of him wrecking his game.

He’s still at .903 with is bad. Being .008 off is a lot. It’s actually a really significant amount off. It’s 8 goals over 100 shots.

You’re the only one comparing the goalies, in reference to Kinkaid, I don’t care how good or bad Schneider is. In a vacuum, Kinkaid has been bad but better recently. Schneider hasn’t been good either, I just think comparing the two doesn’t really make sense.

Again with the silly SV% argument. Cory's SV% is worse over the same time period.
The team was terrible in front of both of our goalies defensively for two months.

Either the team was awful and both goalies suffered by having to change their game, or perhaps they both simultaneously miraculously both started playing poorly.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017

what I am arguing against is that Kinkaid has been a "capable backup". He has not, overall, IMO.

Yet if he has 4 more strong games then he is having an almost identical season as our starter. so not sure how that isnt a capable backup.

so the difference between an incapable backup goalie and our starting netminder, is 4 good performances...lol

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

You *do* look at stats, right? If you go one by one, (and you're not Bleed, who thinks every goal is terrible) there really aren't that many bad goals given up. The vast majority of them early on were all passes across the Royal Road. At some point, a goaltender needs to rely on his defenders to cut those passes, and we just saw the other night how terrible Vatanan can be at it, and how terrible Lovejoy is in general.

We've seen Bobrovsky and Vasilevsky both give up worse goals just in the past week or so.

Without the SV% narrative, and a couple of goals through the wickits (some of which happened to be on breakaways in the first minute of games like at Philly) - this guy has been good for us.

Reactions: MartyOwns
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->