Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyFlynn

May 29, 2019
We'd have no defenseman on the current roster who would be a lock for anyone's top 4 and probably not a lock to even be a regular in the top 6. This team doesn't get better subtracting Subban and Severson and adding Laine. It just doesn't make sense with no defenseman ready to make the jump .

Does the team get better for the 2020-21 season? No probably not. We will be scoring more goals, but giving up a lot more. But does it make the future of the Devils much brighter? Absolutely it does. You just added arguably the best natural goal scorer since Alex Ovechkin.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You have to look at it this way. Is Severson going to be a part of a future Devils Stanley Cup winning team? Is Subban?

That's why my offer to Winnipeg for Laine would be -
Severson + Subban (with salary retained) + 18th overall + 20th overall

Then the Devils could very easily go out and sign Sami Vatanen (yes he would come back here) to replace Subban, and maybe sign Barrie to replace Severson. After all, are we winning the Stanley Cup in 2021? No. So what's the big deal if the defense isn't great? You have Patrik Laine. The defense could be addressed through another avenue later down the road. (Such as a high pick in the 2021 draft)

I can't believe I missed this earlier :laugh:

my stars.

Some of you guys are acting like Patrik Laine is Connor McDavid. He is not. He is not a play driver.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Does the team get better for the 2020-21 season? No probably not. We will be scoring more goals, but giving up a lot more. But does it make the future of the Devils much brighter? Absolutely it does. You just added arguably the best natural goal scorer since Alex Ovechkin.
And a guy who plays zero defense while taking away the only two NHL regular defenseman we have. It's a foolish move.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Weve interviewed Sanderson twice but thats the only prospect Ive heard about

I think the USNDP connection is too much - I know Rossi has the 67’s connection but I think Jack will give quite the ringing endorsement of Jake and I also feel they scout the US team more than the 67s

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Weve interviewed Sanderson twice but thats the only prospect Ive heard about

I think the USNDP connection is too much - I know Rossi has the 67’s connection but I think Jack will give quite the ringing endorsement of Jake and I also feel they scout the US team more than the 67s

castron said they've interviewed guys they're keying in on two to three times. They have 3 picks in the top 20 so we haven't heard all of the guys they've interviewed with (only Quinn and Sanderson and both of those were twice so who knows who they interviewed three times). I don't think any GM is going to risk their first pick on connections and by now I'm sure they have plenty of viewings on every single guy in the top end of the draft. So if it's Sanderson I think it'd be more about him as a player than those other things.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
A completely unreliable source says that the Isles (not even sure how that works) and Flames are in on Palms.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Jets fan coming in peace. Wondering if you guys would be interested in trading down from 7OA to 10OA and what the Jets would need to add? The only untouchables would be Heinola and Samberg prospect wise and prefer to keep the current core intact as well as this years 2nd as we seriously need to refill the cupboard.
What would it cost to move up 3 spots?
Thanks and cheers.

Ok, this is going to sound weird, but... The 4 targets I want are Drysdale, Sanderson, Rossi, and Raymond.

If ALL FOUR are there when our pick comes around, I'd make the trade since it would guarantee I get one of them.

If NONE of the four are there, I'd also make the trade, but that wouldn't make sense for you since you're targeting Rossi (unless Perfetti is a strong enough consideration). For me, I'd be happy enough with one of my 2nd tier players - Perfetti, Holtz, Quinn if the sweetener were good enough.

Otherwise, I'd keep the pick to guarantee I get someone I want (which is the most likely outcome).

I would, however be very open to trading our 18 and 20 for 10 and your 2nd rounder, but as you said, it all depends on who's left on the board.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Idk what I’d want from either of them. Toews (RFA) plus a 1st and a prospect? Hanifin?

Hanafin was the guy that came to mind for me from Calgary. Nothing in their prospect pool interests me in the least if we are going to be honest about it. We talked Hanafin in the Hall deal last year, so this would make sense. The other problem would simply be whether or not Calgary is on his NTC list.

The Isles...honestly, I don't know how that even works. We'd 100% have to take something back money wise (which is fine, there are options there) but I don't really care for Wahlstrom, they aren't unloading Dobson and they don't have their first this year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
well our owners just shelled out for Doc Rivers for the Sixers so hopefully that doesn't eat up our money for this offseason!

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Oooh, I like this quite a bit. A chance to reverse the sting of the Arizona play-in fiasco and grab Jack Quinn at 10.

Yup, that makes sense. If Askarov goes top 10 someone good could easily drop, but if he doesn't go and Rossi, Perfetti, and Drysdale are gone it might make more sense.

Similarly, if Askarov goes top 6, a trade back to 10 might be more palatable for us since we'd do no worse than Holtz.

Holtz is who I think drops although Quinn at 10 would be nice for you guys. I’d be fine with either Holtz or Quinn but we really need to target a C and Perfetti or Rossi would fit us perfectly

Reactions: Blackjack

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Holtz is who I think drops although Quinn at 10 would be nice for you guys. I’d be fine with either Holtz or Quinn but we really need to target a C and Perfetti or Rossi would fit us perfectly
Isn't Perfetti projected to be a wing? Thought I've been reading that.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Isn't Perfetti projected to be a wing? Thought I've been reading that.

His hockey IQ is off the charts but his skating, speed and agility are lacking which I think is why some project him as a wing. If he can work on his skating ability and speed I think he can hold his own as a C. Look at Scheifele in his draft year, he skated like Bambi.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Setting aside the authenticity question.

Would this trade not actually have the potential to make sense?

Gaudreau and CGY 2020 5th rd to NJ
Palmieri and Zacha to CGY

I personally don't think that Calgary would be on the trade list for Palms. Someone mentioned that there was chatter last year he wouldn't go to canada, and I vaguely recall something like that (Plus I always assume that the Canadian teams are on the NTC lists).

That being said, I'd take that trade in a heartbeat as a devils fan.

Reactions: kabidjan18

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I personally don't think that Calgary would be on the trade list for Palms. Someone mentioned that there was chatter last year he wouldn't go to canada, and I vaguely recall something like that (Plus I always assume that the Canadian teams are on the NTC lists).

That being said, I'd take that trade in a heartbeat as a devils fan.
Ah, I didn't know that. I know they were trying to get him before the deadline.

I feel like it makes sense for both teams though. Both are the top scorers on their respective teams, so it shouldn't be a trade that "insults" anyone. Gaudreau is an elite scoring winger that would compliment a team that has a lot of young, exciting centers. And a pick is nice just for currency. Calgary gets one year with Palmieri to make a run that would convince him that staying in Calgary would be a good option for him in search of a cup moving forwards. And worst case, Palmieri leaves after one year, Zacha is a longer-term upgrade to Bennett at the 3C position, who they were looking to move anyways.

Obviously, if Palmieri doesn't want to go to Canada, that's understandable. But I think a trade like this would make both teams better, or at least make sense for both teams.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Setting aside the authenticity question.

Would this trade not actually have the potential to make sense?

Gaudreau and CGY 2020 5th rd to NJ
Palmieri and Zacha to CGY
I mean sense? Sure, but I don't know that I'd do it. I'd rather just sign Palmieri and keep Zacha because I don't trust that Gaudreau would sign an extension when it's available to him. Plus, not that we've been there, but he's an absolute ghost in the playoffs.

Reactions: kabidjan18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad