Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Todd Cordell stated that he heard our internal budget would be about 75M...which is basically what we spent last year, I believe (in terms of cap...I'm not sure what real dollars were spent)
Did anyone else report this? At all? I haven't read anything from him since he started charging.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Did anyone else report this? At all? I haven't read anything from him since he started charging.

I haven't seen anyone else say it, so there is a chance he's just wrong, but I think that it's a minor chance. It just makes sense. I'm surprised Corey hasn't addressed it yet.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I doubt we spent 75m last season because Shero planned on spending up to that exact amount. The Gusev trade was on July 29 and he couldn’t have exactly planned for a 4.5m pick up at that point. There wasn’t any UFA or trades of that magnitude around that time or after that I remember. (I readily admit I could be forgetting obvious ones.)

I’m not arguing against a budget, it might be a little softer then just straight up 75m and might depend on what opportunities present themselves with RFAs etc

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I'll be surprised if Fitz takes players with all three first rounders. You have:

-Teams like Tampa dealing with routine salary cap concerns.
-Teams whose owners are hurting financially. Some may want to unload salary or won't add salary, potentially reducing the number of buyers.
-Teams worried about losing players for nothing in the expansion draft next year.

That's a buyer's market, and a very opportune moment to have three first rounders and cap space (as long as H&B let him add salary).
It’s like being in a gun fight with a .50 caliber gun loaded with 3 bullets, there are some limitations.

It’s not as if there are a bunch of amazing trades to be envious of happening to other teams. I was, and still am, however ready to jealous of teams with piles of 2nd & 3rds that allow for smaller deals (LA, Ottawa, Montreal etc).

The fact that LA hasn’t done anything other than get a heavily discounted Maatta suggests those smaller scale trades aren’t exactly hoping either because Blake flat out said he had too many prospects, that the contract limit would become a problem and he wanted to start trading packages for players rather than the other way around.

LA will very likely be active tomorrow, Montreal, Toronto etc I‘m super curious if it actually gets any crazier then usual. Teams are likely waiting until after free agency starts before making certain big decisions on players so some deals are going to have to happen after Tuesday if they do happen. I’m guessing we use the big three ourselves but I would not wager actual US dollars on that guess.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s like being in a gun fight with a .50 caliber gun loaded with 3 bullets, there are some limitations.

It’s not as if there are a bunch of amazing trades to be envious of happening to other teams. I was, and still am, however ready to jealous of teams with piles of 2nd & 3rds that allow for smaller deals (LA, Ottawa, Montreal etc).

The fact that LA hasn’t done anything other than get a heavily discounted Maatta suggests those smaller scale trades aren’t exactly hoping either because Blake flat out said he had too many prospects, that the contract limit would become a problem and he wanted to start trading packages for players rather than the other way around.

LA will very likely be active tomorrow, Montreal, Toronto etc I‘m super curious if it actually gets any crazier then usual. Teams are likely waiting until after free agency starts before making certain big decisions on players so some deals are going to have to happen after Tuesday if they do happen. I’m guessing we use the big three ourselves but I would not wager actual US dollars on that guess.

GMs are generally very risk averse and their first priority is keeping their job. I’m skeptical that any discount deals go down yet.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It was reported that over half the league was on some type of internal budget. I’m sure we will be too.
I wasn't doubting it but more so wondering if anyone else confirmed it. I'd be surprised if any teams willingly spend to the cap this year.

I haven't seen anyone else say it, so there is a chance he's just wrong, but I think that it's a minor chance. It just makes sense. I'm surprised Corey hasn't addressed it yet.
I mean it's probably happening with most teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad