Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
At first I was 100% on board with being the dumping ground for picks and big contracts. But seeing how many of our young guys already won't get a chance to sniff American ice next year unless they change the roster rules, I would rather not have an overpriced body filling the ranks unless the return is just stupid. Of course, if they can play but are just making too much, that is different. But I'd rather weaponize our cap space to acquire guys other teams want but can't, as opposed to taking on guys other team don't want and can't afford.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Probably not an original idea, but how about an indirect three way trade:

New Jersey: LD Noah Hanifin (4 x 4.9)
Calgary: LD Jake Bean (1 x 0.863)
Carolina: 20th overall

Maybe not ideal for Carolina, but they get a mulligan and don't have to worry about protecting Bean for the Expansion Draft. Calgary shakes up their room, adds a local kid with some theoretical upside, and frees up 4 mil in cap space to spend elsewhere. We get a young NHL D who could hopefully grow with the current group.

Calgary would not do this, though Carolina would be scrambling all over themselves to do this. This does not help Calgary at all, and Carolina is not getting a #20 overall pick for Bean.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I’d rather give BASTIAN a shot at RW4 over Hayden since BASTIAN took a nice step forward last year it seems and may still have some additional room to grow. Hayden seems to have plateaued and doesn’t offer much other than a big body who hits which BASTIAN also offers.

Not sure why my phone autocorrects Bastian into all caps of I’m not paying attention.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I’d rather give BASTIAN a shot at RW4 over Hayden since BASTIAN took a nice step forward last year it seems and may still have some additional room to grow. Hayden seems to have plateaued and doesn’t offer much other than a big body who hits which BASTIAN also offers.

Not sure why my phone autocorrects Bastian into all caps of I’m not paying attention.
The phone knows.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Kind of forgot about Zacha in all of this. I wonder what a Zacha + 18th would net us.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I don't think Hayden even factors into the equation for next year, frankly.

I've had the 20-21 fourth line as Kuokkanen-Zajac-Anderson for a while now. I could see Bastian being a part of the conversation, especially if he has a good camp. But Hayden won't even be a consideration.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor

I've had the 20-21 fourth line as Kuokkanen-Zajac-Anderson for a while now. I could see Bastian being a part of the conversation, especially if he has a good camp. But Hayden won't even be a consideration.

I know it's tricky without the UFA/trades that might pop up, but right now, isn't that potential grouping with Zajac more of a third line? I guess it depends upon how Hughes progresses. Based on last season I'm not sure how much even strength time he gets against other teams' top six. Absent any significant additions, I expect the opening lines to look like XX/Nico/Palms; Bratt/Zacha/Gusev; Kuokkanen/Zajac/Anderson; Merkley/Hughes/Bastian with Wood on the Nico line if they don't add anyone (I hope that they do since Wood doesn't seem like a good fit there unless his hockey IQ takes a step forward) and McLeod as the extra forward while the team tries to convince Zajac to waive his no trade clause to go to a contender.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

I don’t see Hayden making it either. There’s a pretty big log jam at forward as is and if we were to draft Rossi, who may be NHL ready, we may be forced to make some trades depending on waiver eligibility.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

My3Sons

Sponsor
I don’t see Hayden making it either. There’s a pretty big log jam at forward as is and if we were to draft Rossi, who may be NHL ready, we may be forced to make some trades depending on waiver eligibility.

I'd prefer Rossi play in a Euro men's league for a season. Let him transition and hopefully NJ is in a better spot the next season when he'd make the jump. Hard to see an 18 year old get the proper attention needed when the team is still so unsettled and coming off a dumpster fire season.

Reactions: FooteBahl

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Kind of forgot about Zacha in all of this. I wonder what a Zacha + 18th would net us.

Probably not a whole lot more than the 18th alone would get us.

I'd prefer Rossi play in a Euro men's league for a season. Let him transition and hopefully NJ is in a better spot the next season when he'd make the jump. Hard to see an 18 year old get the proper attention needed when the team is still so unsettled and coming off a dumpster fire season.

Rossi will want to sign an ELC and compete for a spot, I think it's kind of hard to not let a guy at least compete for a spot after you draft him 7th. Also, can CHL players even play in Europe? I thought they had to go back to the CHL if they don't make their NHL teams.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Also, can CHL players even play in Europe? I thought they had to go back to the CHL if they don't make their NHL teams.

I think it depends on the arrangement. Some of the European guys get loaned to play in the CHL, so they were allowed to return to their original European teams for their D+1 season. 2019 1st rounder Lassi Thomson played his draft year in the WHL but went back to Finland last year.

It looks like Filip Zadina was on loan as he played in the QMJHL during his draft year then split the following year between the AHL/NHL.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I had an interesting thought about Colin Miller today. He had a pretty brutal season in Buffalo this year between injury, coaching, and the team being generally awful, but his time in Vegas was really good.

His value is at an all-time low so I would think he would be available for cheap. RHD. One year left on his deal, 28, so he could be a one year placeholder or if things work out he could be extended.

Would you trade Wood straight up for Colin Miller? Wood is from the Buffalo suburbs and seems like a guy they would covet.

What about Wood + McLeod for Miller + Tage Thompson? Tage is the older brother of our own Tyce Thompson, a big power forward who has nothing left to prove in the AHL but has been unable to stick with the Sabres. Seems like him and McLeod could both use a change of scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad