Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If you have 2 elite goalies that are 2 of your 5 best players, that means when everyone is healthy one of your 5 best players is benched every game.

You’ll also end up putting a lot more of your cap towards goalies than any other team; can you afford a good enough team with the rest of the cap? How do you compete with teams that spend more money on skaters and has a goalie making less that is playing just as well as your goalies?

It appears to be a poor use of assets to have so much tied up in 2 goalies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
We should probably also wait on anointing Blackwood as a future elite goalie. He's definitely shown signs of being a good goalie, but with the volatility of the position, nothing is a guarantee. Although I guess that could help make the case that drafting another quality goalie prospect wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm just not keen on using a 1st round pick to do it.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I missed the discussion earlier but assuming this is about Askarov. Are people hung up on potentially drafting him with either 18 or 20?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I missed the discussion earlier but assuming this is about Askarov. Are people hung up on potentially drafting him with either 18 or 20?
I think it started with wanting to trade up to get him, or picking him at 7. I think most are against both options.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think it started with wanting to trade up to get him, or picking him at 7. I think most are against both options.

Ahh okay I see. Yeah I agree, drafting him at 7 is ridiculous there are simply too many other players available. Trading up for him would also likely be a hard sell though I guess it depends on the price to trade up? I still wouldn't do it but if it's not a steep price tag then maybe. I think we're good where we're at right now though in the draft and if we're going to move any of the picks I'd prefer them to be in a package to improve the defense.

That said, if Askarov's there at 18 we would be crazy not to pick him.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

For me, I wouldn’t be against taking him at 18 or 20 but I’d have to feel everyone on a tier near to him was already gone. Sort of in the same way I think the Devils ended up with Blackwood, Blackwood was felt to be overwhelmingly better than the skaters available.

Reactions: Darkauron

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
We need 3 elite goalies

That is sort of an extension of thinking the Devils need 2 elite goalies.

When do the Devils stop drafting goalies? If Blackwood is only league average next year do the Devils than draft the top goalie prospect again next season?

When can you stop drafting goalies with high picks? Apparently, for some, it is not when you have a 23 year old goalie off to a good start to his career

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you have 2 elite goalies that are 2 of your 5 best players, that means when everyone is healthy one of your 5 best players is benched every game.

You’ll also end up putting a lot more of your cap towards goalies than any other team; can you afford a good enough team with the rest of the cap? How do you compete with teams that spend more money on skaters and has a goalie making less that is playing just as well as your goalies?

It appears to be a poor use of assets to have so much tied up in 2 goalies.

Well just to play devils advocate for a moment I don’t think anyone is advocating for two goalies both making starter money. That’s so far down the road with an Askarov it’s not even a concern the next several years. It’s more people ‘want’ a Luongo-Cory situation where the vet is getting paid and the younger guy isn’t.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Well just to play devils advocate for a moment I don’t think anyone is advocating for two goalies both making starter money. That’s so far down the road with an Askarov it’s not even a concern the next several years. It’s more people ‘want’ a Luongo-Cory situation where the vet is getting paid and the younger guy isn’t.
Right. The devils advocate argument for Askarov is that if he pans out in 4-5 years he can be doing something Blackwood cannot - playing at a high level on an ELC. IF things go well that is the time frame every cap dollar will count.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Right. The devils advocate argument for Askarov is that if he pans out in 4-5 years he can be doing something Blackwood cannot - playing at a high level on an ELC. IF things go well that is the time frame every cap dollar will count.

In 5 years or less he’s coming off his ELC and is going to want to be paid if he’s one of the top goalies in the league.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Shesterkin is 24 and playing for $925 this year.

Cool. He's played 13 NHL games and is eligible to be UFA at the earliest in 2023. So basically he has potentially one very valuable year, then he is arbitration-eligible, and any additional value the Rangers get will have to be with Shesterkin failing to recognize his own value or him being better than the contract he ultimately signs.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Cool. He's played 13 NHL games and is eligible to be UFA at the earliest in 2023. So basically he has potentially one very valuable year, then he is arbitration-eligible, and any additional value the Rangers get will have to be with Shesterkin failing to recognize his own value or him being better than the contract he ultimately signs.
Fine. Does not make my original statement wrong.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
For me, I wouldn’t be against taking him at 18 or 20 but I’d have to feel everyone on a tier near to him was already gone. Sort of in the same way I think the Devils ended up with Blackwood, Blackwood was felt to be overwhelmingly better than the skaters available.

At 18 or 20 I think Askarov would be clearly above anyone else available if he is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad