OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Here's my hang-up at receiver. The projected third-round guys are hit and miss, yeah there are a lot of slot guys but there are plenty of X or all-purpose guys too, so I'm not concerned about that. But they all have a drawback that could relegate them to 3-4 guy, when Steelers ostensibly need a 2.

However, it seems to me that, outside of maybe a couple guys left, everyone is a crapshoot. I don't feel like JPJ or Frazier are hit-and-miss. So while I don't like the prospect of being reliant on whatever WR we might take in round 3, I still like the idea of going center next.

If Keon Coleman is there at 51, now I have a dilemma, but I don't think he will be. And if somehow Cooper is there, geez, I'm such a fan of that player.

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Nice summary by a guy I follow:

The guy is a diehard football player who LOVES the game and loves hitting the crap out of people. He grew up a huge Steelers and Troy Polamalu fan. He is probably the best OLman they have on the roster for the offense they want to run.

He is going to be a HUGE fan favorite once people get a look at him in action.

He has the arm length and feet of an NFL OT—I think he has more potential to play LT than last year’s pick. But anywhere he plays it will be an upgrade.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
Watching the falcons and broncos completely mismanage their QB rooms has me appreciating what the Steelers have done. Even if it doesn't work out they're not married to these guys. And then it allows them to spend draft capital on BPA.

Still worried about WR/C but they'll solve one of those for sure on day 2, maybe both with a trade of some sort.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think they think that way. My thought is they still go WR in the 2nd and wait til the 3rd to see who is there at the C position. In my final mock yesterday, I picked Mims in the 1st, aka OT, and then I had them picking Pearsall, aka WR, in the 2nd.

Pre-Draft final mock:
1: Amarius Mims, OT
2: Ricky Pearsall, WR
3: Max Melton, CB
3: Hunter Nourzad, C
4: Luke McCaffrey, WR
6: Jaden Crumedy, DL
6: Steele Chambers, ILB

UDFA: Travis Clayton, Beanie Bishop

My updated mock after the first round is:
2: Roman Wilson, WR
3: Max Melton, CB
3: Hunter Nourzad, C
4: Luke McCaffrey, WR
6: Jaden Crumedy, DL
6: Steele Chambers, ILB

I think we could maybe flip Nourzad and McCaffrey. And if Jalen McMillan somehow makes it down to 98, they take him instead. Either way, I think they go WR then CB with the next two picks. I think they wait til 84 to discuss the Center position.

I think they go C at 2.

I have no issue with WR at 2 and getting SVP with their third, however.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well Penix is very fast, maybe they could kick him outside for a season :sarcasm:

Speaking of wild ideas... would it even be legal for a QB to get "if you draft a first round QB in Y1 of my contract, I can sever the contract and will be on offset pay" put in their contract? Cousins has got to be steaming.

How many center needy teams are ahead of the Steelers right now? Panthers seem like a decent bet to snag a center and the Chargers need one but they absolutely have to do something at WR. Anyone else?

Do Carolina still pick ahead after the trade up?

Anyway, Cardinals are an obvious one. Uhm. I keep seeing Frazier mocked to Detroit in the 40s, but dunno if that involved a trade and am too bloody lazy to look it up this morning.

But yeah. Not much in the way I think. Unless a team trades up, which seems a very obvious thing to do if they want a C and they're slipping to right in front of the Steelers.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
sucks seeing Pearsall go so early to SF. Maybe they knew the Steelers wanted him, and want to trade one of their WR's to Pittsburgh.
Brilliant strategy.

Overstock your wide receiver room making a trade a good move for you and removing all leverage when dealing with Khan and Weidle. They are known for caving when you are behind the eight ball and bailing you out.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Dulac said the contingency at 20 was Barton or Guyton. He’s usually pretty garbage when it comes to draft related stuff but if that was the case, thank god Fautanu fell.
that makes no sense. they had to be considering one of the CBs

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Brilliant strategy.

Overstock your wide receiver room making a trade a good move for you and removing all leverage when dealing with Khan and Weidle. They are known for caving when you are behind the eight ball and bailing you out.

The 49ers don't need to trade and it doesn't sound like they want to unless someone blows them away.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Why not both?

I would wait about ten picks and see if both are there. If so, I look to making a trade to get another second round pick and take both. If the asking cost is too high, stay where you are and take what comes and use your thirds.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017

Why not both?

I would wait about ten picks and see if both are there. If so, I look to making a trade to get another second round pick and take both. If the asking cost is too high, stay where you are and take what comes and use your thirds.

because they need to draft WR and CB. doesnt make sense to draft 2 centers

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Watching the falcons and broncos completely mismanage their QB rooms has me appreciating what the Steelers have done. Even if it doesn't work out they're not married to these guys. And then it allows them to spend draft capital on BPA.

Still worried about WR/C but they'll solve one of those for sure on day 2, maybe both with a trade of some sort.

Saving this quote. Along with the Kenny sucks posts.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean the Steelers can use two high end IOL with Daniels/Seumalo maybe guys to consider moving off of, but I can't imagine doing that this year when there's quite a few places that could use the reinforcement a heck of a lot more.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If we’re moving up, it better be to take a first round talent who fell and will make us a better team, and that’s not the two centers lol…take a WR or DeJean or something…not every position on a really good O line has to be an early draft pick

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think DeJean is going to last anywhere near to where it makes sense for the Steelers to move up but it's nuts he's still on the board to me and I think someone is going to get themselves a bargain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad