Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I know it's tricky without the UFA/trades that might pop up, but right now, isn't that potential grouping with Zajac more of a third line? I guess it depends upon how Hughes progresses. Based on last season I'm not sure how much even strength time he gets against other teams' top six. Absent any significant additions, I expect the opening lines to look like XX/Nico/Palms; Bratt/Zacha/Gusev; Kuokkanen/Zajac/Anderson; Merkley/Hughes/Bastian with Wood on the Nico line if they don't add anyone (I hope that they do since Wood doesn't seem like a good fit there unless his hockey IQ takes a step forward) and McLeod as the extra forward while the team tries to convince Zajac to waive his no trade clause to go to a contender.

Not in my view. I think it's an excellent 4th line.

I have us rolling Nico/Zacha/Jack/Zajac down the middle, with two empty slots on Jack's wings. Our focus (other than the obvious LHD needs) has to be to find wingers that maximize his game.

My dream would be Killorn and Virtanen.

Reactions: My3Sons

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Same, he's a fine little 4th line shit stirrer energy guy. Plays his balls off. Guys like that get opportunities.
I just don’t see a fit...
Bratt Hischier Palms
Gusev Hughes Kuokkanen?
Boqvist Zacha Anderson
Wood Zajac McLeod

I’m sure I’m missing guys too like Bastian/Merkely and any other surprises or first rounders like Rossi potentially.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Probably not a whole lot more than the 18th alone would get us.
tumblr_inline_mxvsb3xog91rg0g8s.gif

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Not in my view. I think it's an excellent 4th line.

I have us rolling Nico/Zacha/Jack/Zajac down the middle, with two empty slots on Jack's wings. Our focus (other than the obvious LHD needs) has to be to find wingers that maximize his game.

My dream would be Killorn and Virtanen.

Killorn is a very good player but unlikely he’d waive for NJ. Virtanen seems available but if VAN insists on attaching a bad contract AND getting a good draft pick that’s a bad acquisition. I’d take a one year bad deal and Virtanen for a meh prospect but I wouldn’t go more than that. Virtanen needs a new deal and I’m guessing he expects to get paid like a 20+ goal scorer even though he isn’t really one. I think any wings for Jack are just placeholders until Foote and pick 7 are ready. It will be interesting to see how Ruff sets the early lineups. He probably sees it much differently than we do.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Jets fan coming in peace. Wondering if you guys would be interested in trading down from 7OA to 10OA and what the Jets would need to add? The only untouchables would be Heinola and Samberg prospect wise and prefer to keep the current core intact as well as this years 2nd as we seriously need to refill the cupboard.
What would it cost to move up 3 spots?
Thanks and cheers.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Jets fan coming in peace. Wondering if you guys would be interested in trading down from 7OA to 10OA and what the Jets would need to add? The only untouchables would be Heinola and Samberg prospect wise and prefer to keep the current core intact as well as this years 2nd as we seriously need to refill the cupboard.
Thanks and cheers.

Hmm I'm not sure lol, what's the deal with Niku?

And it'd really depend on who is available at 7 on draft day.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thanks and cheers.

You won’t like the responses most likely. It seems unlikely to me that the price wouldn’t include something really painful for WPG to go up those three slots. The fan base have their favorites but I’m not sure many of those favorites are realistic to slide to 10th. If NJ is settling for Lundell or whoever else is realistically there it would take more than an extra second round pick to make that move.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Virtanen is not worth anything as an RFA, I know Vancouver must be trying to gin up a market for him but I can't imagine it exists

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Thanks and cheers.

7th for 10th and Lundmark?

Reactions: jgimp

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Thanks and cheers.

We already thought about this.

Prospect Info: - 2020 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Conference Finals Edition

Berdin

??

I know you already said you don't want to trade your 2nd.

Reactions: jgimp

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Hmm I'm not sure lol, what's the deal with Niku?

And it'd really depend on who is available at 7 on draft day.

Highly skilled offensive defender. Kind of stuck in perpetuity with PoMo. His defence is lacking a bit but paired with a defensive defender would probably flourish as a 4/5.
I would be targeting Rossi at 7 if he’s still there. Would also be interested in Goal Perfetti and Drysdale if they drop.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Highly skilled offensive defender. Kind of stuck in perpetuity with PoMo. His defence is lacking a bit but paired with a defensive defender would probably flourish as a 4/5.
I would be targeting Rossi at 7 if he’s still there. Would also be interested in Goal Perfetti and Drysdale if they drop.

the problem is I cannot see NJ passing on Drysdale if he is sitting there for them at #7

I could be wrong but yeah

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
You won’t like the responses most likely. It seems unlikely to me that the price wouldn’t include something really painful for WPG to go up those three slots. The fan base have their favorites but I’m not sure many of those favorites are realistic to slide to 10th. If NJ is settling for Lundell or whoever else is realistically there it would take more than an extra second round pick to make that move.

I think Lundell drops to 10-12 personally. Good 2 way centre but doesn’t have the flash that teams are looking for like Rossi or Perfetti. Still very good C just wouldn’t fit between Laine and Ehlers. Too much like a Litte

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Thanks and cheers.
It would have to be a very significant piece for me to do it. Don’t see a deal to be made.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Hm yeah that's kind of what I thought, that he's more offense-oriented. Nevermind in that case we need defenders who can actually defend lol.

Maybe there's a deal to be had but I'd probably just prefer to stay at 7.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

You are pretty much listing my semi realistic wishlist of players who could fall to us. If One of Sanderson, Drysdale and Rossi are on the board at 7, you would have to overwhelm me with an offer to get me to move back to 10 where I believe there is another drop off in the talent level.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks and cheers.
How about #18 & #20 for #10 & #40?

Reactions: Blackjack

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I really want one of Virtanen or DeBrusk, scoring ability with some size/snarl. Say what you want about virtanen, but he’d be great on the third line and possibly that’s with Hughes.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
How about #18 & #20 for #10 & #40?

Oooh, I like this quite a bit. A chance to reverse the sting of the Arizona play-in fiasco and grab Jack Quinn at 10.

I could see it if there is of no one of interest at 10. But I think someone drops especially if Askarov goes T10

Yup, that makes sense. If Askarov goes top 10 someone good could easily drop, but if he doesn't go and Rossi, Perfetti, and Drysdale are gone it might make more sense.

Similarly, if Askarov goes top 6, a trade back to 10 might be more palatable for us since we'd do no worse than Holtz.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t see Hayden making it either. There’s a pretty big log jam at forward as is and if we were to draft Rossi, who may be NHL ready, we may be forced to make some trades depending on waiver eligibility.

I think Hayden and Rooney making the Devils top 12 would be a bit of a disaster in my mind. Are they really offering that much more than the kids that you're willing to stunt their development?

Ultimately, I'd rather miss the playoffs by 14 points with Maltsev, McLeod and Bastian getting a ton of experience than miss the playoffs by 8 points watching Rooney and Hayden play safe, conservative hockey for 8 minutes a night (which is still better than the 17 minutes John f***ing Hynes gave them, but you catch my drift).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad