Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Gaudreau's playoff woes are severely overblown...he has 19 points in 30 career playoff games. Not great but you'd think he had like 5 in 30 or something.

that being said, that is a risky deal for us because of him having 2 years left. He obviously is from NJ so that would probably mean he would be okay staying, but you never know. Granted in this specific deal, Palms is a FA next year so its kind of just swapping those guys.

Keep in mind he is also another midget forward when we already have a ton of those, too.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I don't think Hayden even factors into the equation for next year, frankly.

I've had the 20-21 fourth line as Kuokkanen-Zajac-Anderson for a while now. I could see Bastian being a part of the conversation, especially if he has a good camp. But Hayden won't even be a consideration.
My preferred 20-21 4th line is Wood-McLeod-Bastian.

I think Zajac and Anderson anchor the 3rd line, to be joined by Zacha.

Kuokkanen is my 13th forward at the moment. But he would be someone that I would rotate in and out of the lineup regularly as he can play both center and wing.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I had an interesting thought about Colin Miller today. He had a pretty brutal season in Buffalo this year between injury, coaching, and the team being generally awful, but his time in Vegas was really good.

His value is at an all-time low so I would think he would be available for cheap. RHD. One year left on his deal, 28, so he could be a one year placeholder or if things work out he could be extended.

Would you trade Wood straight up for Colin Miller? Wood is from the Buffalo suburbs and seems like a guy they would covet.

What about Wood + McLeod for Miller + Tage Thompson? Tage is the older brother of our own Tyce Thompson, a big power forward who has nothing left to prove in the AHL but has been unable to stick with the Sabres. Seems like him and McLeod could both use a change of scenery.
Sabres fans are keen to move on from Montour

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
The Isles...honestly, I don't know how that even works. We'd 100% have to take something back money wise (which is fine, there are options there) but I don't really care for Wahlstrom, they aren't unloading Dobson and they don't have their first this year.
I think we can pry Dobson away if we sweeten the deal. Maybe offer Pick 20 + Palms for Dobson + Leddy.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Does the team get better for the 2020-21 season? No probably not. We will be scoring more goals, but giving up a lot more. But does it make the future of the Devils much brighter? Absolutely it does. You just added arguably the best natural goal scorer since Alex Ovechkin.
And you have them immediately have to try sign Laine next summer when he has arbitration rights and is two years away from being a UFA. I just don’t see how get Laine any way you can and not worrying if he’s gong to be particularly happy about being on a potentially very bad team is a good team building strategy.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I think we can pry Dobson away if we sweeten the deal. Maybe offer Pick 20 + Palms for Dobson + Leddy.

Leddy may be a tough move. His contract is actually back loaded and he makes more the next two years than his cap hit. In a covid world, that's not ideal. and it's all base with no bonus.

Even though he's a righty, think I'd rather take on Boychuk who has the same number of years left, is 500K more expensive on the cap, but will make only 5.2m in real dollars the next two years compared to Leddy's 13+ million.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Disagree, Dobson has to untouchable, outside of something crazy like Ladd+. He’s their top prospect and about to be on their blue line on a ELC.

Reactions: Triumph

Camille the Eel

My preferred 20-21 4th line is Wood-McLeod-Bastian.

I think Zajac and Anderson anchor the 3rd line, to be joined by Zacha.

Kuokkanen is my 13th forward at the moment. But he would be someone that I would rotate in and out of the lineup regularly as he can play both center and wing.
Curious if you or the board in general think Maltsev has a future with Jersey? I remember being impressed with him during training camp and exhibitions last year. But that was such a small sample. And if he’s returned to play in Russia, who knows whether he’s even got Bing in his future.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Curious if you or the board in general think Maltsev has a future with Jersey? I remember being impressed with him during training camp and exhibitions last year. But that was such a small sample. And if he’s returned to play in Russia, who knows whether he’s even got Bing in his future.

need to see more, but so far no reason to diminish his potential as a bottom6 contributor.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Hypothetical....

Tampa comes to us and says that we could have Sergachev straight up for 7th overall

what do you say?
They are losing a ton of veteran depth on their D line and don't have a ton of prospects behind who aren't already in the NHL, zero chance of this happening. If they did trade him, I could see a team like Colorado trading a prospect like Byram for him as they would need a body on the back end. Colorado is damn close and that could be the final piece and Byram would do wonders for their cap space.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
They are losing a ton of veteran depth on their D line and don't have a ton of prospects behind who aren't already in the NHL, zero chance of this happening. If they did trade him, I could see a team like Colorado trading a prospect like Byram for him as they would need a body on the back end. Colorado is damn close and that could be the final piece and Byram would do wonders for their cap space.
The Avs would never do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad