Confirmed with Link: Detroit trades 2020 4th round pick to Tampa for Adam Erne

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hicketts is about the only one that makes sense for a Derek Meech style #8D role... Then again, the Wings also carried him because they thought teams might take him on waivers.

I think Hicketts value in GR will depend on if they have more guys counting against the vet max. They had that issue last year and had to healthy scratch McIlrath more than a handful of times.
I know it won't happen, but I still think McIlrath makes more sense than Hicketts, at least the team will have one guy who can fight. And quite frankly, McIlrath lined up as a winger will more than likely outscore Witter anyways. Though out of the D lineup, Bowey probably would make the best forward.

Back to the subject, it's a meh kinda move but it does make the team slightly better. I'm guessing DLR is the odd man out and Abby gets pushed down to the 4th line where he belongs.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's been pretty consistent at the AHL level in his career despite bouncing around quite a lot. 41 goals and 47 assists in 150 games put's him close to on par with Athanasiou's AHL performance level in about twice as many games. Don't think he translates the same way, but he really isn't someone that we should be expecting to. This is one of those guys who you might offer a long term RFA deal at a lower cap hit, knowing you lock him in to a bottom six, physical role but also can score 15-15/30. He ends up a low cost fixture on your team for around $2M for years to come, much like what Nashville did with Jarnkrok.

Except Nashville also seems to be trying to upgrade the center position every season and shoving Jarnkrok further down the lineup. I've been as big a fan as anyone of Nashville's cap management and team building, but it looks more and more like maybe that $2m they give Jarnkrok isn't something they wouldn't mind having back to put towards a better player elsewhere. It's okay to blow that sort of money if you have it, but I'd rather see us be able to spend more on the top9 and finding cheaper deals (either kids or older vets) to fill out that fourth line and pressbox.

Sign the guy for two years, he should be solid depth, maybe we can pump his numbers a bit and deal him for something nicer. I don't hate the kid, I just don't really feel too excited about it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I liked him a lot in his draft year. It has taken him a bit longer to get going. But okay with this price. Pushes Ras, Zadina and co to kick the door in.

I think we are actually going to bury some vet in GR perhaps... not sure back-end or forward but Stevie has buried a few in the past.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If he's feeling better, I don't. I don't want him to struggle through a season in pain, but Kronner is probably the best low cost option we could add at this point. Would really be cool to see him go out in a farewell tour kinda thing. As opposed to limping to the finish line in 18-19.

Farewell tour?
Yzerman didn't have one . Lidstrom didn't have one. Zetterberg didn't have one. Datsyuk didn't have one.
Why does anyone want one for Kronwall?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Farewell tour?
Yzerman didn't have one . Lidstrom didn't have one. Zetterberg didn't have one. Datsyuk didn't have one.
Why does anyone want one for Kronwall?

Because our team sucks and Niklas Kronwall is literally the best cost/production add we could make on our back end that won’t affect us going forward in the rebuild. If they were to add a D, I’d rather it be a healthy Kronwall on a one year deal at like 2M than Jake Gardiner for term and 6M+

Maybe “farewell tour” was strong language. But all of those guys played until their bodies fell apart and beyond (Yzerman, Z), pushed their way out of Detroit (Datsyuk), or basically had like a three year period where they went year to year and it was clear it was coming to an end (Lidstrom).

And frankly for Stevie and Nick, the Wings were still favorites or contenders for Cups at those points. A lot less room for sentimentality at that point.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Worth the risk. I dont think hes anything more than a 3rd liner, but it makes sure we dont rush anyone to the NHL that doesnt belong. Obviously Yzerman knows him well. Low risk move. Doesn't change anything but decent addition nonetheless.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
he put up more points than Ehn and De La Rose combined this year

will he ever hit 40 points? who knows,but it's probably far too early to rule that out for a guy that put up 20 in 65 games in his first full season this year playing 10 minutes a night
DLR and Ehn play center though, if we're filling the 4C spot I'd pick one of them.

I like the deal, a 4th for an NHLer, but just seems like we have 50 mid/bottom 6 players already. This leaves is us with 1 spot for Zadina/Svech/Rasmussen right?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I liked him a lot in his draft year. It has taken him a bit longer to get going. But okay with this price. Pushes Ras, Zadina and co to kick the door in.

I think we are actually going to bury some vet in GR perhaps... not sure back-end or forward but Stevie has buried a few in the past.
I'm all for this, if its E & Daley, if they can't be traded by Oct 2nd. Abby should have a very short leash, and DLR is very expendable. Ehn can shuttle back & forth when needed. Bring on the kids.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Because our team sucks and Niklas Kronwall is literally the best cost/production add we could make on our back end that won’t affect us going forward in the rebuild. If they were to add a D, I’d rather it be a healthy Kronwall on a one year deal at like 2M than Jake Gardiner for term and 6M+

Maybe “farewell tour” was strong language. But all of those guys played until their bodies fell apart and beyond (Yzerman, Z), pushed their way out of Detroit (Datsyuk), or basically had like a three year period where they went year to year and it was clear it was coming to an end (Lidstrom).

And frankly for Stevie and Nick, the Wings were still favorites or contenders for Cups at those points. A lot less room for sentimentality at that point.

Niklas Kronwall sucked last year.
On the Red Wings defense:
Points/60 - behind Green, Hronek, Dekeyser and Jensen
In CF%: Behind Jensen, Hronek, Cholowski, and Green.
In GF%: Behind Dekeyser, Jensen and Green. Still a big minus.

And this is despite the fact that nobody but Cholowski had easier zone deployment.

On the PP? Kronwall was 3rd out of the 4 D used on the PP in points/60.

He played more minutes than any other defenseman on a really bad powerplay.

On the PK, he and Dekeyser had the Worst GA/60 at 10.5/60.
Ericsson was at 6.3, for example. Jensen at 6.1.

Anecdotally, at times Kronwall looked decent last year. But he also made a lot of embarrassing gaffes.

Truthfully, you could pull in just about any defenseman in the NHL and some of these numbers.

Time to move in a new direction.
Besides, I start feeling bad for him having to answer for the shitty performances, night in and night out.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Filppula-Zadina
Erne-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Svechnikov-Glendening-Abdelkader/Helm/Ehn/DLR

This is basically what I’d like to see.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
DLR and Ehn play center though, if we're filling the 4C spot I'd pick one of them.

I like the deal, a 4th for an NHLer, but just seems like we have 50 mid/bottom 6 players already. This leaves is us with 1 spot for Zadina/Svech/Rasmussen right?
svetch gonna be up . one or both of the others could make it outta camp . so this add screams a forward being moved out . my prediction is helm moving out west with kenny

Last edited:

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
svetch gonna be up . one or both of the others could make it outta camp . so this add screams a forward being moved out . my prediction is helm moving out west with kenny
I like your optimism, but sadly do not share it.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Don't see much upside in this player, but for a 4th rounder I think it is worth it to provide some more size and effort.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Stevie signed Flip, so there's no need to keep Ehn and DLR. Ehn is still waiver exempt according to CapFriendly. LGD or Helm can center the 4th line.

Did you trade Hirose?

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Nielsen-Hirose
Erne-Flip-Zadina/Ras/Svech
Ras/Svech-LGD-Helm
Top 13^

Abby & Ehn to GR
dump JDLR or to GR
I was gonna say the same thing about Hirose. Also, your top 13 leaves a kid in the pressbox, if anyone's gonna sit, it might as well be DLR.

BLM
AA-Flip-Hirose
Erne-Nielsen-Ras
Abby/Svech-LGD-Helm
DLR (only because Ehn is waiver exempt)
Knowing how this team works, Abby will be on the roster at the beginning of the year. He will more than likely be the first vet to get benched or sent to GR with Svech taking his place when he gets back up to speed from his year off. I can see the wingers on the 3rd and 4th lines getting shuffled depending on how they play.

At least we know Larkin and AA won't get double shifted every game like they did in the last dozen games....

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Kid put up really good numbers with Syracuse (and Juniors as well)

With another 5+ minutes a game... He could easily get 15 or so goals a year which would be a really good pick up

That would be brutal. You would be happy with a guy who scores 15 goals getting nearly 16 minutes a night?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad