Confirmed with Link: Detroit trades 2020 4th round pick to Tampa for Adam Erne

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Definitely rather throw a 4th rounder for guy like Erne, who has already shown something, than throw a 3rd for guy like Dylan Sadowy, who was only potential and never showed anything.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Cool. Yzerman/Verbeek must like him. Didn't Yzerman said they might add a winger later in the summer when he discussed the Filppula signing with the media?

My immediate thoughts as well. This is interesting. I wonder if there is another deal in place to ship somebody out.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Cool...We already had Bert, and now we got Erne...
bert-and-ernie-sesame-street-cb3c987810c9d931.jpg
Bert-Ehn-Erne

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yasssssss.

This is crazy! I was actually hoping Erne would be a cap casualty for Tampa but I didn't think we'd be the one to land him. Perfect timing and great price. Erne was f***ing fantastic last year (relatively speaking). I was really ready to *write him off as a bust but he took a big step last year and really seemed to gain some ground.

Surprised more folks aren't familiar with him. He was very highly regarded in his draft class. I've followed him a bit since and was disappointed until last season.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
A Fat Face/Baby Hippo & a T.Rex in the making? This is good stuff.

I like that SY & TBL are revisiting their trade history, with SY on our side again. But mostly b/c we're ~1/2 through a rebuild, while the Bolts are cup favorites, so we're really no threat to them, so as some of SY/Verbeek's TBL picks become cap casualties, I'm sure SY will get some good deals, maybe even slight preferential treatment. At the very least, we'll have an inside track on their players/organization.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'd try to get him to sign for 3 years. See if you can "wow" him with $1.25M per year. There is a very good chance that that deal is a steal by the end of its first year. At the very least, try to get him for 2.

Reactions: 14ari13

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd try to get him to sign for 3 years. See if you can "wow" him with $1.25M per year. There is a very good chance that that deal is a steal by the end of its first year. At the very least, try to get him for 2.

Yeah, his value is somwhere at ~1 million range.

Pretty sure Tampa can't fit him with the becoming Point contract under the cap, but can fit some replacement guy like Conacher (700k) or even Witkowski (700k).

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Kid put up really good numbers with Syracuse (and Juniors as well)

With another 5+ minutes a game... He could easily get 15 or so goals a year which would be a really good pick up

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Meh, fourth line fodder. Maybe he can play up the lineup, but I'd rather take a flier on a guy like Nicushkin at that point. Or just have the spot for Ehn/DLR.

"Fat Face Erne" nickname is the best thing about the deal.

Would rather have Nuke, Ehn or De La Rose? Erne has shown more offense than all of those guys really (maybe not Nichuskins rookie year), is right around the same age but hasnt had a chance anywhere to play offensively at all. I'm not saying hes going to be a first liner but he definitely could be a 40 point third liner who actually hits hard. Even if he is just a fourth liner, at least hes a fourth liner who fills a role as an agitator/physical player unlike any of those guys. Ehn and De La Rose are such redundant, do nothing out there hockey players. Erne fills a role and can contribute to a team identity while still having a bit of offensive potential that those guys dont have

Reactions: vladdy16

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Would rather have Nuke, Ehn or De La Rose? Erne has shown more offense than all of those guys really (maybe not Nichuskins rookie year), is right around the same age but hasnt had a chance anywhere to play offensively at all. I'm not saying hes going to be a first liner but he definitely could be a 40 point third liner who actually hits hard. Even if he is just a fourth liner, at least hes a fourth liner who fills a role as an agitator/physical player unlike any of those guys. Ehn and De La Rose are such redundant, do nothing out there hockey players. Erne fills a role and can contribute to a team identity while still having a bit of offensive potential that those guys dont have

I don't really see 40 points in his future unless he's being fed a bunch of IT with guys who carry him to it. I just don't think Fat Face has it in him. The guy's filler.

As for who I'd rather see, meh. I'd rather give Nicushkin a look just because I think there is far more upside to it. But do I want to see these guys or think any of them are going to be relevant if this club is decent again? Not really.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
he put up more points than Ehn and De La Rose combined this year

will he ever hit 40 points? who knows,but it's probably far too early to rule that out for a guy that put up 20 in 65 games in his first full season this year playing 10 minutes a night

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I give this trade a B and if Yzerman can dump one of the terrible bottom six contracts and replace them with Erne it goes to an A+

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
BLM
Athanasiou - Fil/Nielsen - Kid
Kid/Erne - Fil/Nielsen - Helm
Abdelkader - Glendening - Kid/Erne
De La Rose and Ehn in the press box.
This move still leaves room for two young guys and slots Ehn and DLR as 13th/14th forwards as they should be.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
BLM
Athanasiou - Fil/Nielsen - Kid
Kid/Erne - Fil/Nielsen - Helm
Abdelkader - Glendening - Kid/Erne
De La Rose and Ehn in the press box.
This move still leaves room for two young guys and slots Ehn and DLR as 13th/14th forwards as they should be.

Right now I'd go:
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Athanasiou-Filppula-Svechnikov
Erne-Nielsen-Hirose
Abdelkader-Glendening-Helm
(Ehn/DLR).
I hate throwing Ehn in the pressbox, though.
And I think that third line is garbage Until Zadina is ready.
But who does Zadina bump?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't really see 40 points in his future unless he's being fed a bunch of IT with guys who carry him to it. I just don't think Fat Face has it in him. The guy's filler.

As for who I'd rather see, meh. I'd rather give Nicushkin a look just because I think there is far more upside to it. But do I want to see these guys or think any of them are going to be relevant if this club is decent again? Not really.

He's been pretty consistent at the AHL level in his career despite bouncing around quite a lot. 41 goals and 47 assists in 150 games put's him close to on par with Athanasiou's AHL performance level in about twice as many games. Don't think he translates the same way, but he really isn't someone that we should be expecting to. This is one of those guys who you might offer a long term RFA deal at a lower cap hit, knowing you lock him in to a bottom six, physical role but also can score 15-15/30. He ends up a low cost fixture on your team for around $2M for years to come, much like what Nashville did with Jarnkrok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad