Confirmed with Link: Detroit trades 2020 4th round pick to Tampa for Adam Erne

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Fun fact:

Erne had 7 goals and 20 points in 65 games.

Abdelkader had 6 goals and 19 points in 71 games (and average 5 more mins TOI per game than Erne).

4 more years!

My only wish is that they don't play Abby because of his contract, if he plays any worse than last year he deserves the bench no matter what.

Reactions: hkydave04

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm kinda like.... MEH!?! On this trade. I just can't even seem to care one way or the other I don't think it'll make much of a difference.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Yes, and that is terrible for us or any team. When you have a 4th liner playing a quarter of the game, that means you are bad. If we were a good team, LGD would play 8-9 minutes of ES, and 3-4 a game on the PK.
So on a bad team he plays 25% of the game, but on a good team he plays 22% of the game? 2 minutes is that big of a difference between good teams and bad teams?

I'm mostly giving you a hard time, but on a good team, LGD would probably be playing just as much.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
That would be brutal. You would be happy with a guy who scores 15 goals getting nearly 16 minutes a night?

You would be unhappy with a third liner with no PP time, playing 15 mins a night and scoring 15 goals? Its a third liner. Tampa was the most stacked regular season team we've seen in a while and their third liners were playing around 15 mins a night, scoring around 15 goals and putting up around 40 points. But if a guy acquired for a fourth round pick that also hits a lot does that it would be brutal?

Expectations are too high if you look at other teams as well. A Derek Ryan is good enough for a strong Calgary team but would be brutal in Detroit? Lars Eller is another guy I would say fits that bill. He could have a somewhat similar impact to Adam Lowry, Carl Hagelin or Scott Laughton as well at that stat line and roughly that amount of time on ice. Hes solid defensively and a physical threat every shift as well so the numbers dont tell the whole story but 15 goals wouldnt be bad at all

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
4 more years!

My only wish is that they don't play Abby because of his contract, if he plays any worse than last year he deserves the bench no matter what.

If he plays as bad as he did the last two years since the knee injury he deserves the bus in GR... We will see, but I wouldn't be surprised if Yzerman did it at this point. If the young guys beat you out, welcome to being Jason Garrison in Tampa Abby... He needs a big summer and he has to find that half a stride and some of the bite he seems to have lost, it is what provides some of his value.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
We will likely be adding more picks in the 2020 draft this season as well. Plenty of tradeable assets as rentals like Green, Daley, and Ericsson. Potentially Helm (1 year left after this one), Glendening (also 1 year left) and Howard (pure rental, will resign here) as well.

Green. Glendening. Sure.
I doubt there's much market for Daley/Ericsson/Howard.
Maybe Helm, if you eat some cap.

Christien

May 1, 2010
No clue if this has been posted yet, but according to capfriendly it says he already signed a 1 year deal with us
STANDARD CONTRACT

LENGTH: 1 YEAR

EXPIRY STATUS: RFA
SIGNING TEAM: Detroit Red Wings
VALUE: $1,050,000
C.H.%
q.svg
: 1.29
SIGNING DATE: August 14, 2019
SOURCE: CapFriendly

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I wonder if this is Yzerman's strategy with not spending the cap money to buy a bad contract for picks. Teams in cap hell with RFA's might need to dump somebody quick and easy and Detroit has picks to give to get a young player of value who wouldn't otherwise be available.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Like this a lot, he's cheap and has some upside. He was a pretty good prospect and contributor to Syracuse from what I remember. We keep getting younger and harder to play against. Win-win thanks to numerous top 75 picks we have and had through this (rebuild) a 4th round pick is pocket change.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I guess this is just a reminder that Yzerman doesn't have that Holland loyalty.

That's an ironic statement considering it's in a thread about Yzerman acquiring a player he drafted and employed in Tampa, taking place in an offseason where he also brought in a former Red Wing and Lightning player......

svetch gonna be up . one or both of the others could make it outta camp . so this add screams a forward being moved out . my prediction is helm moving out west with kenny

They basically have 3 or 4 spots open up front and Yzerman probably wasn't going to load them all with young guys. My prediction is Yzerman keeps two young forwards on the roster out of Svech/Ras/Hirose/Ehn/Zadina and fills the 3rd with Erne and everyone else is retained. I also predict that when that happens, what was once called "overripening" under Holland will now be referred to as "smart" and "a patient approach". :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
That's an ironic statement considering it's in a thread about Yzerman acquiring a player he drafted and employed in Tampa, taking place in an offseason where he also brought in a former Red Wing and Lightning player......

They basically have 3 or 4 spots open up front and Yzerman probably wasn't going to load them all with young guys. My prediction is Yzerman keeps two young forwards on the roster out of Svech/Ras/Hirose/Ehn/Zadina and fills the 3rd with Erne and everyone else is retained. I also predict that when that happens, what was once called "overripening" under Holland will now be referred to as "smart" and "a patient approach". :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
My point was that Yzerman might waive Abdelkader in favor of Erne. Equating signing Erne to a 1 year contract and signing Abdelkader to a 200 year contract is a bit of a stretch.

I'm getting really tired of these "You just like this because it's Yzerman" comments. It's basically just trolling at this point.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
  • Waived DLR, I think he passes waivers. If not, well he's a dime-a-dozen player.
  • Cholowski and Kaski start in GR, one of them makes his way up when Ericsson, Daley or Green gets into injury trouble.
  • Erne takes Abdelkader's place, force him to sit. Hoepfully, it lights a fire under Abdelkader butt or it really shows that doesn't have that scoring touch or NHL speed anymore.

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
Hirose - Nielsen - Athanasiou
Svechnikov - Filppula - Rasmussen
Erne - Glendening - Helm

Dekeyser - Hronek
Nemeth - Green
Daley - Bowey

Howard
Bernier

Scratches : Ericsson and Abdelkader

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Bonus Overages: $145,000
Cap Hit: $67,216,665
Cap Space: $14,283,335

Reactions: lilidk

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I'm actually quite happy with this, and the fact we only gave up a fourth to get him makes this a steal of a deal.

For those questioning why we need Erne, the answer is pretty simple. We have enough useless pieces in our lineup, and it's time we start filling those roles with useful pieces, and Erne is pretty useful with a medium to high upside (Second line potential, I feel). It also serves notice to players like Abby, Helm, and others that they can't simply show up and expect to get 15+ minutes a game.

This is not to say I expect to see Erne and Bert, Larkin, Mantha, or AA out there together.This is only to say I expect there to be some real competition in camp and during preseason between the young guys who want to play, and the salaried vets who have been about as useful as a coat rack in the tropics. Players can and do get buried in the minors, waived, or traded for futures.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Green. Glendening. Sure.
I doubt there's much market for Daley/Ericsson/Howard.
Maybe Helm, if you eat some cap.

Helm for sure will have a market, theres been a bit of buzz about him the last couple deadlines. Now that he only has one year left he'll get some interest from a playoff team. Green and Glendening are obvious. Howards market will depend, its hard to predict with goalies but a playoff team could for sure use a back up with his experience. I think Ericsson could be a wild card as well. Teams are going to see a 6'5 dman with a history of being fairly tough going into the playoffs. Getting him as their 6th D could be enticing depending who the teams in the playoffs are. This is a league that has seen Roman Polak traded a decent amount and hes very similar to Ericsson except with a history of being worse as a player

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You would be unhappy with a third liner with no PP time, playing 15 mins a night and scoring 15 goals? Its a third liner. Tampa was the most stacked regular season team we've seen in a while and their third liners were playing around 15 mins a night, scoring around 15 goals and putting up around 40 points. But if a guy acquired for a fourth round pick that also hits a lot does that it would be brutal?

Expectations are too high if you look at other teams as well. A Derek Ryan is good enough for a strong Calgary team but would be brutal in Detroit? Lars Eller is another guy I would say fits that bill. He could have a somewhat similar impact to Adam Lowry, Carl Hagelin or Scott Laughton as well at that stat line and roughly that amount of time on ice. Hes solid defensively and a physical threat every shift as well so the numbers dont tell the whole story but 15 goals wouldnt be bad at all

When has Luke Glendening scored 15 goals? Also, I was talking about 4th liners playing 15+ minutes a night, not 3rd liners. I also wasn't complaining about Erne scoring 10-15 goals for a 4th round pick, in fact I never said it was bad value. My comment was based on so much ice time going to depth players. If Adam Erne plays 10-12 minutes a night and scores like he did this season, that will be good for us. Not sure why you bring up Lars Eller or Derek Ryan, as they are both higher scoring and more valuable than Luke Glendening or Adam Erne. Those 2 put up more points, play 2 way hockey and PK, and either have less ice time or only a little more in Eller's case.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Helm for sure will have a market, theres been a bit of buzz about him the last couple deadlines. Now that he only has one year left he'll get some interest from a playoff team. Green and Glendening are obvious. Howards market will depend, its hard to predict with goalies but a playoff team could for sure use a back up with his experience. I think Ericsson could be a wild card as well. Teams are going to see a 6'5 dman with a history of being fairly tough going into the playoffs. Getting him as their 6th D could be enticing depending who the teams in the playoffs are. This is a league that has seen Roman Polak traded a decent amount and hes very similar to Ericsson except with a history of being worse as a player

A lot if industry insiders have pointed out that since Ryan Miller's ill-fated St. Louis Blues trade people have not wanted to do goalie trades at the deadline.

A part of that is Miller's admission that he struggled to pick up with their systems and where shots were designed to yield from quick. That most goalies are going to take a couple months to get used to how your team plays and the kind of chances you give up.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So on a bad team he plays 25% of the game, but on a good team he plays 22% of the game? 2 minutes is that big of a difference between good teams and bad teams?

I'm mostly giving you a hard time, but on a good team, LGD would probably be playing just as much.

Another 3 or 4 shifts going to better players can make a difference, and I would rather watch that as well. If Luke Glendening was on Calgary he would likely play around Derek Ryan's ice time, or about 2 minutes less a night. Ryan also scored 15 more points in less ice time.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd be careful with projecting Erne to be too much. He was once highly touted and as in the Athletic article he'd like to get back to being a scoring line player in the NHL, but he also has been relegated to the fourth line for a reason and is at the age where he really needs to change his MO if it's changing.

This deal is good regardless, a 4th round pick for a heavy 4th line winger that scores well for his minutes is a good trade. We're all hoping he can be a second or third line forward that provides more offense. It's not completely unrealistic, but don't hold your breath either.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
When has Luke Glendening scored 15 goals? Also, I was talking about 4th liners playing 15+ minutes a night, not 3rd liners. I also wasn't complaining about Erne scoring 10-15 goals for a 4th round pick, in fact I never said it was bad value. My comment was based on so much ice time going to depth players. If Adam Erne plays 10-12 minutes a night and scores like he did this season, that will be good for us. Not sure why you bring up Lars Eller or Derek Ryan, as they are both higher scoring and more valuable than Luke Glendening or Adam Erne. Those 2 put up more points, play 2 way hockey and PK, and either have less ice time or only a little more in Eller's case.

Kris Draper Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Kirk Maltby Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

It's almost like good teams play depth players a lot too. The issue with Detroit is not, nor has it ever been, the quality of their bottom line guys or even how much they play them. It's that since the team declined following the back to back Cup finals, the top of the roster has sucked. They cratered from the top down and it looks a lot worse because they're having good depth and bottom of the roster guys trying to play up further than they should.

It always was a smart and patient approach. It's also one that can fail from time to time because the guys you bring along slowly aren't guaranteed to pan out any better than those who you toss in right away. I mean, how this offseason has gone is logical and methodical. How they were starting to do it before Stevie even came home was logical and methodical (from post 2017 draft and on)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Kris Draper Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Kirk Maltby Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

It's almost like good teams play depth players a lot too. The issue with Detroit is not, nor has it ever been, the quality of their bottom line guys or even how much they play them. It's that since the team declined following the back to back Cup finals, the top of the roster has sucked. They cratered from the top down and it looks a lot worse because they're having good depth and bottom of the roster guys trying to play up further than they should.

It always was a smart and patient approach. It's also one that can fail from time to time because the guys you bring along slowly aren't guaranteed to pan out any better than those who you toss in right away. I mean, how this offseason has gone is logical and methodical. How they were starting to do it before Stevie even came home was logical and methodical (from post 2017 draft and on)

Draper was a lot better than Glendening. Draper won a Selke and was in the running or nominated much more than Luke has. Maltby was a different style player than Glendening and had great chemistry with Draper which is why he played so much.

Reactions: Mlotek

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Your post said it would be brutal to have a player scoring 15 goals playing 15ish mins a night. I said if Erne is playing 15 mins a night and scoring 15 goals that wouldnt be brutal. If hes scoring 15 goals, hes likely putting up 35-40 points. Guys like Lars Eller and Derek Ryan are 15 min a night, 15ish goal scorers. So how is that brutal if Erne turns into one of them? Theyre third liners on good teams who fill a role very well. Glendening isnt a 15 goal 15 minute a night guy so your comparison to him is pointless.

Erne looks like with time he could be a lot closer to Ryan and Eller than Glendening. Glendening played almost 16 mins a game last year, 5 extra mins than Erne. In 5 less minutes a game and 13 less games played in his first "full" season, Erne had 3 less points than Glendenings career high. I would bet a lot of money that Erne scores more in Glendenings situation, hes a better hockey player. The comparison to Glendening is unfair.

Then your last sentence you say those 2 play a 2 way game like Erne (or Glendening) dont? Eller plays almost 6 more mins a game than Erne, and Ryan almost 4 more, but he also plays almost 2 mins on the PP. Both played bigger minutes so your last sentence doesnt even make sense. Erne absolutely has the ability to contribute at the level of those 2 in the future and comparing him to Glendening right now is dumb. Hes played one full season and has some offensive potential unlike Glendening

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Your post said it would be brutal to have a player scoring 15 goals playing 15ish mins a night. I said if Erne is playing 15 mins a night and scoring 15 goals that wouldnt be brutal. If hes scoring 15 goals, hes likely putting up 35-40 points. Guys like Lars Eller and Derek Ryan are 15 min a night, 15ish goal scorers. So how is that brutal if Erne turns into one of them? Theyre third liners on good teams who fill a role very well. Glendening isnt a 15 goal 15 minute a night guy so your comparison to him is pointless.

Erne looks like with time he could be a lot closer to Ryan and Eller than Glendening. Glendening played almost 16 mins a game last year, 5 extra mins than Erne. In 5 less minutes a game and 13 less games played in his first "full" season, Erne had 3 less points than Glendenings career high. I would bet a lot of money that Erne scores more in Glendenings situation, hes a better hockey player. The comparison to Glendening is unfair.

Then your last sentence you say those 2 play a 2 way game like Erne (or Glendening) dont? Eller plays almost 6 more mins a game than Erne, and Ryan almost 4 more, but he also plays almost 2 mins on the PP. Both played bigger minutes so your last sentence doesnt even make sense. Erne absolutely has the ability to contribute at the level of those 2 in the future and comparing him to Glendening right now is dumb. Hes played one full season and has some offensive potential unlike Glendening

I agree Glendening is not a 15 goal 15 minute a night guy. He is a 10 goal 15 minute a night guy. So worse and not pointless at all.

2018-1929DETNHL78101323215901111021029.8169123115:4765852455.71021982325
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The last sentence was mentioned because Eller and Ryan are better than Glendening, and played similar ice time. Also to date, Glendening is a better player than Erne. Erne has potential to be much better, but currently he isn't. My comparison is fair , because we were talking about guys who play 15 minutes a night, which Glendening does, and not providing a lot of offence which to me is too much ice time for low production, unless that player can play in all situations, PP, PK etc, which LGD doesn't. Also want to make it clear, I am not running down Erne as I think he is a great pickup and will fill a bottom 6 role nicely. He scored 7 goals in 65 games at 10 minutes a night, and adding 5 minutes a night, doesn't suddenly double his production somehow.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
My point was that Yzerman might waive Abdelkader in favor of Erne. Equating signing Erne to a 1 year contract and signing Abdelkader to a 200 year contract is a bit of a stretch.

I'm getting really tired of these "You just like this because it's Yzerman" comments. It's basically just trolling at this point.

I didn't equate anything. I just found it ironic given the subject of this thread and the fact that 2 of Yzermans 3 additions to the team can easily be painted as motivated by some loyalty. And before I get another "yEaH bUt NoT fOr 5 YeArS NTC BLAH BLAH"... Mikael Samuelsson for 2 years, traded with a former associate to get a former playing in Kyle Quincey, brought Jurco to Edmonton now. Similar crap.

If you think the "trolling" is tiresome now... Just wait till Yzerman starts sending young guys to GR and Abdelkader and Helm are still everyday fixtures in the line-up. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm not disagreeing with it at all. Just predicting that doing something Holland got eviscerated for will instead earn Yzerman praise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad